1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are our rookies undervalued?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_4_Life, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

1st year player Kenneth Faried was ranked #71 by ESPN in the top 500 players in the league. Faried, a 6'7.5 PF, was the 22nd pick in a relatively weak draft (2011). I like Faried. He's a good player, but he's somewhat one-dimensional.

Our rookies, who were drafted higher in a deeper draft, are more skilled than Faried. We have have 2 national champs on our team who were crucial parts of their team's success. Dmo also has a champion pedigree having led his Polish team to their 9th title. I've also heard it said (by Morey I think) that Royce was the best player on the court when Iowa St played Kentucky.

I don't know whether or not any of our rookies will match Faried's success. It seems unlikely. Nevertheless, we have 4 skilled and athletic rookies, with terrific measurements, that are capable of significant contributions to this year's team.

If former Morehead St. player Kenneth Faried is considered the 71st best player in the NBA after only one season, maybe there's room for optimism that our rooks can put us over the hump (and into the playoffs)?

It's at least a divergence of thought from the typical, "He's just a rookie." Meaning: Don't expect much from these guys. They've got a lot to learn etc.

2. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I think people on this board are way to high on our rookies. If 1 out of 5 of our rookies (DMo, Lamb, Jones, White, Machado) becomes a top 100 player after their first year playing we'll be extremely lucky. If 1 out of 5 eventually becomes a top 30 player (i.e. All Star) I'd consider it a great draft.

Faried has proven he can compete on an NBA level which the NBA rankings put a heavy emphasis on. For example, Damian Lillard (#6 in this year's draft), who everyone seems to be really high on, is ranked at 211 b/w Brandon Wright and Michael Pietrus.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Was Faried ranked 71 before last season or is he ranked 71 now?

4. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

He's ranked 71 now. He was ranked #331 before last season. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is ranked 128.

I think they have Dmo and Jones ranked too high if you consider their summer-league play in comparison to their higher-ranked rookie peers.

Incidentally, Von Wafer, who was ranked 341, commented, "Put me up against anybody ranked 65 and up and lets see what happens." :p

5. Bang.

Bang. Member

Can you write all of our players ratings? :)

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he bricks 80% of his shots?

7. Bang.

Bang. Member

Sry wrong thread :)

About Rookies, I really don't know why Farried is so high rated. He only can dunk and reb, maybe shoot a few hooks but...Look at DMo's post arsenal, 10times better.

8. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

J.Lin: 78
    K.Martin: 76
    Omer Asik: 99
    Chandler Parsons: 152
    Carlos Delfino: 175
    Patrick Patterson: 231
    Jeremy Lamb: 267
    Shaun Livingston: 280
    Royce White: 290
    Terrence Jones: 311
    Marcus Morris: 318
    Toney Douglas: 321
    Donatas Motiejunas: 324
    Gary Forbes: 349
    Jon Brockman: 367
    JaJuan Johnson: 388
    Courtney F: 471
    Greg Smith: 483

1 person likes this.
  9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

LOL@fans who overvalue our rookies.

Why shoot when you can dunk?

Faried was an elite rebounder/36min last season, only D12, KLove, Camby were better than him. Not bad for a rookie forward.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every time when I hear a player say that kind of thing, I know exactly why this guy is bouncing around the league. He thinks basketball is a one-on-one sport.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

No, they're overvalued on ClutchFans.

12. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Overvalued here but possibly undervalued elsewhere. Kenneth Faried is a double double caliber player with enough minutes and a decent defender. None of our rookies have proven they can average a double double. Faried is very raw offensively but he can improve and even if he doesn't 10-15 points on high efficiency from dunks, layups, and basic post moves isn't bad along with 10+ boards.

13. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

My original point wasn't that our rookies should be ranked higher than Faried, but that we have reason to be optimistic because of how the professionals at ESPN have ranked him (71), Kawhi (95), Shumpert (138), & D.Williams (139).

I believe ESPN has undervalued our players. The rookies have high bball IQ's, above-average athleticism, solid measurements, great pedigrees, and are multi-skilled. I expect 3 out of 4 of them will be ranked higher than 225 next season. The hindrance will be playing time.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Was Faried a starter right away?

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For all the ones who keep saying that the rookies are overvalued here, don't show up and jump on the bandwagon when things are going good.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

off topic but when do the jerseys come out

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

No, Nene was the starter. Timofey Mozgov was/is the center.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Lol we're lucky if even one of our rookies is as good as Faried.. You're crazy if you don't Faried is a baller. Man there's too many homers on our rookies lately..

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

We'll be happy to be wrong. But saying not to overestimate our rookies doesn't mean we're against them.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You are telling me to undervalue them and expect the worst.