1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Next Years Lakers Better Than Last Years Cavs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PersianRocket, Jul 2, 2018.

?

Who's Better?

1. 2018 Cavs

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. 2019 Lakers

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Granted, the Lakers still have time to finish the roster, and I'd say that if they got Kawhi or Boogie, then yes this team could be one of the best in the East, but looking at their roster right now, and comparing it to the Cavs roster last year, I don't see how the Lakers will be any better than the Cavs unless their youth makes drastic improvements next year. Lonzo is worse than George Hill, KCP/Josh Hart isn't much of an upgrade over JR/Korver/Hood, and no one on that team comes close to Kevin Love when it comes to talent. Kuzma is good and so is Ingram, but neither are all-star level yet, and probably won't be for the next few years. The only player that might be close to Kevin Love is Randle, and him returning isn't certain. IMO, everything about the Lakers now being major contenders and this roster being the best in the NBA is a very knee-jerk reaction.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The Lakers, with last years roster is better than the Cavs without LeBron. The Lakers are currently a 35-38 win team (no Lebron), but the Cavs are probably in the neighborhood of 20-26 wins (with no LeBron).

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

You should ask this when free agency will be over.

lw17 and YOLO like this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes, but that doesn't mean all that much. Last years Cavs would have had zero chance of coming out of the West.

Same for this years Lakers if they don't trade for Kawhi. Even with him, very unlikely.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

OMG I hope they get Boogie. Diva Lebron, Lonzo and Lavar Ball, Javale McGee and Boogie? Where's my popcorn?

esketit and lw17 like this.
  6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I wouldn't say they're a 20-26 win team without Lebron. KLove is good enough to get them some wins, and being in the east, I wouldn't even be surprised if they were a borderline playoff team next year. Especially with Sexton now because I think he's going to be a top 5 player from this draft class.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

The cavs made it out in the east. The Lakers as currently constructed will will have a hard time getting past the first round if they make it to the playoffs at all. The west is no joke

malakas likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

The Cavs were playing in Cleveland.
    The Lakers are in LA.
    You think the perfomance of those boneheaded players will be the same in Hollywood? I don't. Plus there's zero chemistry.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. James&PaulAttornysAtBall

Lakers EASILY.. Like I get it. We hate the Lakers but let’s be honest man.

Zo > Clarkson/Hill

Ingram > Smith/Korver

Kuz = Love with Lebron

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess we will see how many the cavs can without Bron. They did not look good without him.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Cleveland's No. 1 draft pick in 2019 belongs to the Atlanta Hawks unless the Cavs finish in the bottom 10 next season.
    So it's in their best interest to tank as much as possible.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People are butthurt right now. I think they deal most of their youth by the deadline. But they'll be good come playoff time. If they do get Kawhi. O LAWD. That's a dangerous team.

13. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

asking this now because of the knee-jerk reactions that the Lakers now have higher odds to win the championship this year than Boston and Houston, and that they can battle Golden State according to BSPN, and most of the internet.

14. James&PaulAttornysAtBall

I’ve yet to see Ingram say anything in regards to Lebron coming there. Interesting.. he may know his days are limited. I just don’t think it’s going to be some sorry team like people here want it/expect it to be. Lakers were pretty good defensively last year and now add Lebron.. top 4 seed in the West

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, that makes NO sense at all but I suppose the prevailing thought is Lebron didn't come to the West to play for the lakers team as presently constructed - they must have another move up their sleeve(boogie/kawhi). Still - I don't see how they can be a legit title contender next year unless they can manage Boogie, Kawhi, and LBJ which I think is probably not possible. If you ask me the Lakers are setting themselves to be Cleveland West - they will manage a few stars and then struggle with overpaying for "win now" pieces only it's not as easy to get out of the West making those kinds of short sighted moves.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Some of you guys are grossly underestimating the Lakers. They were 22-20 in the second half of the season. Yes, a winning record. Now add LeBron to that team.

They are going to be a playoffs team, probably first round exit if they don't get Leonard. But if they do, who knows how good they maybe, depending on how much they give up to get him, who else they are going to get, and how their youngsters mature.

The Lakers being relevant again renews my hatred of them.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I like how people underestimate LeBrons ability to will them to a victory but then you have those who think LeBron is GOAT but is known to quit.

18. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I think Lebron is the greatest player of all time if not very close to MJ, but he has shown in the last few years to give up at times during the regular season for long stretches. The reason why I feel like the Lakers will underwhelm, is partly because their roster isn't as good as people say it is, but also because in this Western Conference, Lebron can't take a day off. We saw last season how the playoff seeding could've gone about 30 different ways with just a week left in the season. The Lakers are likely to be in that clump if they dont add a second or third star, so if Lebron quits for a few games like he would at times last season, we could very likely see them either be a poorly seeded team, or even miss the playoffs.

19. xaos

xaos Member

It’s not necessarily who is better at this stage of the game. Lakers have a much easier path to turn this roster around. They’re not in a bad cap situation. They’re not in a bad situation with their picks. They have young players who could be traded (prob not for Khawi though). Here is an important part: players in the NBA would like to play in Lakers.

By Lebron signing a 4 year deal (with player option) this gives the Lakers the ability to build a team without making desperate moves. That’s not to say there isn’t a sense of urgency considering Lebron’s age. Overall, the Lakers have a better 4-year outlook than the Cavs - IMO

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes because last year's Cavs are a 7th seed in the west.