1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Human Beings Inherently Violent?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ketchupNmustard, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ketchupNmustard

A humanities class has inspired me to post in the D&D to try and spark some intelligent debate, as I am in college and a lot of the kids I'm conversing with are just now learning their ideals, so it's hard to spark the best debates.

So here's a question I wanted to see multiple views that are backed up by experience, evidence, anecdotes etc.

Are we as humans inherently violent?

I believe that we are. It's obvious when you see young children fighting with each other, or even babies seemingly being angry. If you've ever been in a fight, you feel that adrenaline rush and your body supports it, as if fighting is as vital as eating or surviving (which it is in many cases).

Many argue that we a nurtured into violence, that we are peaceful creatures.

What say you?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Don't have time to watch the video but I'll take a look later on. That said, I think I'd replace 'survive' with 'prosper' (though the subjective nature of prosperity complicates things).

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Words like violence break the silence

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Come crashing in, into Ronny's little world.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't watched the video but this pretty much sums it up.

Evolutionarily we are hardwired for violence since in the struggle for survival violence is frequently necessary. Also our close relatives chimpanzees are very very violent and engage in war and murder often seemingly for fun. Evolution though isn't destiny and as a species overall we have it within ourselves to control, or at least channel, violence.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Nice summary, very accurate.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Do bears sh** in the woods?

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Violence is a very useful tool. We're violent because violence can be a tool for accomplishing our goals. In today's society, violence is discouraged, even when it is justified because the state wants to maintain a monopoly on it's use. This is the social contract. The social contract is broken when the state can no longer monopolize violence. The strain on that contract is always there, as evidenced by criminals and criminal groups striving to use violence for their own ends, but fluctuates depending on the state of society.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I don't think emotions of anger and rage necessarily needs to be mutual with "violent" acts. When you get "pissed off" :mad: hippies act like you're out of control when its not the case. And humans have ways of still being sick and twisted with a straight docile face.

For instance, don't need violence to have a "big brother" surveillance society. But its still odd and unsafe on liberties though its not physically violent. There's still things to fear (maybe fear itself) outside of violence.

Does absense of violence and volatile emotions actually mean more peace?

Long way of saying, yes its about channeling it into things instead of on each other. We're born with it, and its not cool in my opinion to 'drug' the emotions out of people either.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's like all I ever wanted.... all I ever needed