1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Apple Mac Users...I need your help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by clutch citizen, Oct 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I copied a folder with .png images in it thinking I could paste it after replacing the folder it was in.

But there is no paste option! I can see the name of the folder in the clipboard, but I can't do anything else to it. How do I access that folder from the clipboard?

Thanks and much appreciated

2. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

keyboard shortcut for pasting is apple+v

not quite sure what exactly you want to do, but try that?

3. clutch citizen

I tried that, too. But nothing shows up.

I want to paste the folder that contains .bmp/.png files, but I don't know where it'll let me.

I can't access the folder anymore because it's stuck in the clipboard.

4. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

How about dragging the folder from clipboard and dropping it into another folder?

5. clutch citizen

It won't even let me highlight it in the clipboard.

It's over...

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Reload it from your backup if you lost it.

7. clutch citizen

Unless it backs up automatically to somewhere on the harddrive, I didn't backup...

I know, I know

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I guess I'm a bit confused as to what you did. Did you select a folder and then click and select "copy"? Did you then delete the folder you copied expecting to be able to paste into a new/existing folder? I am running Mac OS X and have no issues doing that. I can also paste directly onto the desktop.

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Sounds like you copied the NAME of the folder, and not the folder. Either that, or something you did AFTER copying the folder removed it from your 'clipboard'.... though with the folder name in your clipboard, it seems very likely that when you copied it, you copied the text of the name, and not the directory and contents.

Sorry.

I don't know how critical the data is, but if you haven't done a lot of writing to your disk, there might be a chance that a software utility could recover those files. Once files are erased, technically they are still on your disk and merely "marked" as available for future overwriting... though I must admit that when I've tried such things in the past the results are often limited, if not somewhat disappointing. There are also professional services that attempt to do such things.

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

if macs are as easy to use as they claim, i'd hate to see you use a PC.

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

They are easy to use....I have no idea what the OP did.... :confused:

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

He should probably check the permissions on the folder. There are three categories for permissions in OS X: Read-only, Write-only, or Read-and-write (neither read nor write means they can't see the folder, and that's a totally different can of worms).

13. no_answer

no_answer Member

Take it to the mac store if you cant figure it out. They'll help you for free.

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I'm a PC.

That is all.

[​IMG]

15. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Are you trying to copy it to an external drive of some sort? If so a MAC file can not be copied to a drive that is formated with the NTFS file system. To move files from a MAC to a PC the drive needs to be formated in FAT32. You can copy a file from a drive formated in NTFS to a MAC, but it will not work the other way around.