1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apologies, observations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GrizzFan, Nov 30, 1999.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Can anybody post ALL of the other "main" fan sites. I enjoy checking them out. The only one I know of is Golden State. They are so bored they'll talk about anything over there. Even the Rockets. Thanks.

2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GrizzFan--

I appreciate your comments. I notice that your response to Francis' attitude and personality is a lot like those of the Vancouver media personalities with whom I have been in contact. It seems people have notions about Francis that they want to beleive. There were some lies propagated about the kid while he was in is baby-like pout session. I understand the anger at the kid for what he did. I was a Francis fan all last year and was disappointed in his childish display. At the same time, I know what kind of person he really is and at some point you'll just have to set aside what you want him to be and accept him for who he is--a good kid.

I may be in the minority here, but I am fine with what Francis did to Vancouver. He made a financial and cultural career decision. It doesn't make him a punk. It doesn't make him a spoiled brat. It makes him a kid who pulled a powerplay to get him self in a better position. Dude had mucho dinero on the line and I repect him for not for what he did but the way he did it. Also, for the fact that he lives up to his decision and doesn't try to blame someone else for it. The truth is that Vancouver is a dying, NBA experiment and players are the pawns. Few NBA players want to be a part of this test of the Canadian market place. But not every player has the talent Francis has or had the leverage Francis had when he made his power play. Like Othella (who obviously would prefer to be elsewhere) noted: the taxes are hell, customs is a b**** and the culture is not his element. Moreover, the Vancouver organization is a pretty bad one. Jackson has no idea how to put together a decent team. The Grizz are my 3rd favorite team (behind the Rox and T-pups) and it angers me that Jackson continues to screw up the draft and leave Shareef in purgatory. Every year players are asking out. You even almost had this situation last year with Bibby. Anyway, this whole situation should have been avoided by Jackson who knew what he was doing. All Jackson had to do was draft Odom, who practically begged to play there. I hope that when the Clips come to town, you guys take the opportunity to boo and heckle Jackson because Odom should have been yours.

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

PhiSlammaJamma,

Go to, http//members.aol.com/edjlove/bball.htm

This is a link site to all the team's forum's

4. GrizzFan

GrizzFan Member

Actually, with the way Francis has been, I don't see it as a screw-up in the draft. If they had picked a guy like Rip Hamilton to play the 2, because he's the next-best SG, people would be understandably all over him, because Francis is obviously better. Teams should draft for talent and not for position or player's preferences.

Odom has a very shaky history, and could have been a risky pick. If any of the top draft picks were likely to cause some trouble down the road, Lamar would be #1 on the list. I love his game, and he'd create huge mis-matches at the 2, but what if he's a trouble-child? Then the Grizzlies would get hell. Francis had the best chance of becoming a superstar in the league, and that's why the Grizzlies picked him.

5. JeffB

Supporting Member

At the same time, you don't pick a player you know doesn't want to play with you. People were trying to say Francis had a shaky history with his various high schools and colleges. Jackson was happy to point these things out after Francis started to work for a trade. What was it he said? Something about Francis having mental problems. If Jackson beleived that, then he shouldn't have picked the kid. And if he doesn't beleive that, then he needs to grow up and stop slandering a good kids name. At any rate, Jackson has been less than competent in his position. If he didn't want Odom he should have traded down or traded for players. The people of Vancouver were already peeved with the way Bibby pouted all summer after having been picked. He had better options than rolling the dice on forcing a kid to play for his organization. Jackson should haved done a better job.

6. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Yes you should definitely pick players according to their talents, but wheather they want to play for you is up to them, this is a free country right? Don't rape people's will and expect to get away with it.

7. JeffB

Supporting Member

GF--

Don't get me wrong. When Chicago passed on Francis I was sitting at home wondering what the Grizz would do with their dilemma. They had Bibby who should become an excellent point guard within 2 years, but there was Francis who was that rare type of player you always look for. I beleive Francis wasn't about to play the two for anybody. Most draft analysts seemed to be suffering from Allen Iverson-itis. Everyone was comparing Francis to Iverson and not looking at Francis on his own merit. Francis is not like Iverson. He is like a lot of players, but most of all, he is unique. He is the real deal and every "real deal" brings something new to the game. Just because he can score at will doesn't mean he isn't a point guard and it doesn't mean he can play the two in the NBA. Just look at all the defensive liabilities Iverson creates for his team by refusing to play the point and not take 35 shots a game.

Drafting by best available player doesn't always work. Sometimes you have to fill out your roster in the best way possible. As is, the Grizz should be a much more formidable team. The roster is now complete. With Obinna, Shareef and Othella the front line is complete. They just need Mike Bibby to play every game like he did Monday night. BTW, What's up with Bibby?

8. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Typical Clutch, leaves us hanging 'till the last moment.

Man, I love this site! [​IMG]

9. GrizzFan

GrizzFan Member

Actually, Stu didn't say that Francis had "mental problems," but rather that he had "deep personal problems that kept rising their ugly head," suggesting that it was something personal against Vancouver or the Grizzlies.

PhiSlammaJamma: There's a relatively new Grizzlies' site that's run by a fan:
    http://grizzlies.rivals.com

10. PhiSlammaJamma

There isn't really a whole lot to say about the subject. We all know that Francis made the right decision by leaving and we all know that he didn't go about it in the right way. Things could have been handled in a more professional way. That's a given, but it something that just needs to be put to rest now. It's over and done with. Mistakes happen. Just like with Pippen. So we just need to let it go. I don't think we should BOO Pippen just because he didn't want to play for the Rockets. I know he trashed the city, the fans, and the players, but why do you care what he thinks anyway? Does it really matter to you so much that you must boo him? Why give him the attention that he is begging for. It only hurts the Rockets by motivating Pippen to do well. If we take the high road, then the Rockets will be better served, and it shows that collectively we cannot be rattled by one person who deserted the ship.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited December 01, 1999).]

11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

WHat U talkin' bout my baby Stevie that way ?
    Yo !

I happen to personnly know for a fact, ( I read it on the internet ), that the Gizzardlies drafted his butt in order to make a swap with a team for a bunch of players to fill out their weak ass roster.
    So there ! : )...... just jokin !