1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP: Van Gundy gets full court press from Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jun 5, 2003.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Van Gundy gets full court press from Rockets
    MICHAEL GRACZYK
    Associated Press

HOUSTON - Former New York Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy, the apparent choice of the Houston Rockets to take over as coach, got his feet wet but remained otherwise noncommittal after a daylong visit Thursday to Houston.

"It rains hard, I'll tell you that," Van Gundy said after donning a Rockets hardhat and carrying a Rockets umbrella to walk through the mud in a driving rainstorm to inspect the team's new arena under construction.

That was about as definite as Van Gundy would get Thursday, deflecting specifics about discussions that could make him the successor to Rudy Tomjanovich, who stepped down last month.

"I've never felt comfortable talking about business," said Van Gundy, whose most recent job has been as a television analyst. "I'm a coach."

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson also was tight-lipped.

Asked if he's made an offer to Van Gundy, he replied: "We will if it works out."

Neither would confirm a report Thursday by Houston television station KRIV that cited unidentified league sources saying Van Gundy was negotiating a four- or five-year deal to coach the Rockets.

"It's a great job," Van Gundy said, acknowledging the courtship by the Rockets was flattering. "There are a lot of people who want it. It's obviously a great sports town, a new arena, good, young talent."

Van Gundy and former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy have emerged as the two finalists. The Rockets also met with Paul Silas and Larry Brown. On Monday, Silas was introduced as the Cleveland Cavaliers' coach. Brown became the Detroit Pistons' coach.

Dawson on Wednesday told the Houston Chronicle from Chicago, where the NBA was holding its pre-draft camp, that the team had made its mind up.

"But it takes two to tango," Dawson said. "Just us wanting him won't get the job done."

Van Gundy said Thursday he'd also interviewed with a couple of other teams. He would name only the Washington Wizards.

"You just wait and see how everything works out," he said.

Van Gundy said he spoke briefly with Tomjanovich, describing him as an icon and one of the game's great coaches.

"You've got big shoes to fill," he said. "You just try to build on what they accomplished here."

But he said he told Tomjanovich that if he took the job, the former coach always would be welcome.

"I'd rely on him a lot," he said. "You'd be foolish not to tap into that expertise."

As for the Rockets as a team, Van Gundy said Yao Ming at center and Steve Francis at guard formed a solid foundation that made the job attractive.

"I was talking to somebody I really trust in basketball," Van Gundy said. "He said the biggest plus about Houston is every day Yao Ming wakes up, he's 7-5.

"Ain't that the truth."

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

that's good jvg! at least he still would want rudy to give him advices. welcome to houston jvg!!!

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really like that. Van Gundy is my man now!

4. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

That is music to my ears! He's already showing some class.. Just sign the dotted line now, Jeff!

5. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

the best thing ive heard in this year so far!!! im so happy JVG is showing so much class and respect to the rocs organization and to rudy t.!!!
    "Ladies and gentlemen, i would like to present to you, the Houston Rockets new Head Coach, Jeff Van Gundy" - Leslie Alexander

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Hmmm....

7. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Just dont blow it, just dont blow it!!!!

I am feeling sooooo insecure right now!!!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wow, CD has Van Gundy completely snowed! :eek: :D

Interesting to see they're talking a 4 or 5 year deal. Seems standard, I guess, but I hadn't heard before how many years they were thinking.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JVG doesn't need to ask for advice, just respect our Rudy. He has earned that.

10. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

I'm very glad he (most likely) is going to be our coach. I wanted him before brown left Philly. VG is charismatic and has heart (i believe), and u just can't teach that. The dude may be small but he knows his stuff. He will be a great coach for the team and we'd be happy to have him

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Same thought here. It's obvious that he'll change things. But he genuinely seems to respect Rudy very much. If he really goes out of his way to solicit Rudy's input, it'll be very good.

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Cd got him byhello,welcome to houston and how do you like it!JVG obviously conquer of his dream coaching a really big guy(Yao) and a real athletic guy(Francis) to on his grasp!Now,that is something!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We may be outbid and he may go to Washington.

DD

14. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

the quotes in that article suggest to me that he's going to be the next coach.

Quote: But he said he told Tomjanovich that if he took the job, the former coach always would be welcome. ``I'd rely on him a lot,'' he said. ``You'd be foolish not to tap into that expertise.''

Quote: ``You've got big shoes to fill,'' he said. ``You just try to build on what they accomplished here.''

Rather optimistic for someone who is undecided don't you guys think?