1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP: Top basktball players of the century

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jovi, Dec 9, 1999.

1. Jovi

Jovi Member

Top basketball players of the century

By The Associated Press
    .c The Associated Press

The top 10 basketball players of the century as selected by a panel of experts for The Associated Press:

MICHAEL JORDAN:mad: Six-time NBA champion who holds career record with 10 scoring titles. Named NBA MVP five times and won 1985 rookie of the year award. After Julius Erving, further developed above-the-rim play with his classic flights through the air and spectacular dunks.

OSCAR ROBERTSON:mad: Hall of Famer who averaged a triple-double in 1961-62. Rookie of the year in 1961 and MVP in 1964. Selected to NBA first team nine straight years (1961-69).

WILT CHAMBERLAIN:mad: Second-leading scorer in NBA history with 31,419 points; leading rebounder with 23,924. Two-time NBA champion who scored 50 or more points a record 118 times, including league-record 100 on March 2, 1962. Died at age 63 in October.

BILL RUSSELL:mad: Dominant center who led Boston to 11 titles in 13 seasons. Five-time MVP who grabbed 21,721 rebounds and averaged 15.1 points a game.

MAGIC JOHNSON:mad: Three-time MVP who won five titles with the Los Angeles Lakers. Showed that a 6-9 player could handle the ball, changing the classic point-guard style.

LARRY BIRD:mad: Along with Magic Johnson, returned the NBA to prominence following 1979 NCAA championship. Led Boston to three NBA titles and is Celtics career leader with 1,556 steals.

KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR:mad: NBA career-leading scorer with 38,387 points. Six-time MVP and NBA champion. Formerly known as Lew Alcindor. Dominant player who perfected the unstoppable sky hook.

ELGIN BAYLOR:mad: A prolific scorer who averaged 27.4 points a game and improved his scoring average by at least five points in each of his first four seasons. Rookie of the year in 1959 and 11-time All-Star.

JERRY WEST:mad: Averaged 40.6 points during the 1965 playoffs (11 games) including a record 46.3 average in the finals. Featured in a silhouette on the NBA's logo and was selected to the NBA's first team 10 times.

JULIUS ERVING:mad: Electrified audiences by taking off from the foul line to dunk. As an ABA star, he was a player the NBA wanted and he made the merger of the leagues easier. Dr. J led Philadelphia to the 1983 NBA title and was the league MVP in the ABA and NBA.

Do you think Hakeem should be on that list?

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Of course Hakeem should be on there. Dr. J "led" Philly to the '83 title? Whatever. No player on that list could've won a championship with the talent the Rockets had in '94.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Let's see...
    27,266 points
    12,793 rebounds
    3610 blocked shots
    2002 steals
    2 championships (back to back)
    1 (overdue) MVP award
    Ya, I think he deserves to be up there.

------------------
    The truth is out there... but I forget where...

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I use a simple formula to gauge the top players:

1. They (re)defined a new standard for their position.

2. I don't believe any small forward belongs in the top 20. If they were truly great, they would be at guard or in the low post.

3. I do not consider Bird a small forward.

not necessarily in any order
    Jordan--redefined speed and playing above the rim.
    chamberlain--defined raw power.
    Russell--defines defense
    Jabbar--most unblockable shot
    Magic--unmatched fastbreak/open floor player
    Bird--Best shooter/passer ever
    Dream--redefined speed at the low post like never before--best combo of offense/defense
    Barkley--defines power/speed for a short player like never before--plus this is paying tribute day for barkley

Sorry, but Oscar, Baylor, West and Ervin don't strike me as the best in any measure of speed/athleticism, shooting, passing, power, defense...please don't yell at me without sticking your neck out and offering up 8 of your own.

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Dr. J made it more because he transitioned the NBA into a fan friendly sport. He paved the way for the Bird/Magic era.

Dream did more on the floor, but Dr. J did more for the game.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Dr. J made half the guys on that list drop their jaw in admiration. That alone tells you how good Dr. J was. Dream should be on that list just because he made David Robinson look like a fool 4 times in less than 1 second.

7. heypartner

you made me laugh Phi on a dreary day.

cheers

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a list!Dream should be on it though.

9. Oscar Robertson belongs on anyones top 3 list.

The man had a complete game. Top to bottom the best player ever in my mind. Anyone, and I mean anyone in any era who can average a triple double, redefined his position. No one else has ever done it. He nearly did it several more times.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The big O was awesome and your right about the stats.I think M.J. is the greatest player of all time though.If I was going to start a team and had to pick one player to start my team I would take Magic.In addition to everything else he was like a coach on the court and could play any position/besides being the best pt.guard of all time.Based on what you said Dreamshake I sense you might disagree with me ....at least about the last part.

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 09, 1999).]

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Guys,
    I'm sure Hakeem's name got brought up-he was a bad-ass player in his prime and can still contribute in a meaningful manner. But I can see the point of the people who voted on the top 10 players of the century? Since there is some heat caused by the absence of Hakeem, who's spot should he occupy? If anybody I think Erving could be bumped out, but even that might be undeserved. Honestly folks, where among that list do you think he belongs?

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The only players on the top 10 list I think can be moved out are Jerry West and Larry Bird. They both certainly were good, but not that good (top 20 yes, top 10 no).

The no brainers are

Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell
    Dr J
    Baylor (the Dr J of his time)
    Jordan
    Magic
    Oscar

The next teir would be

Dream
    Big E
    Bird
    Karlie Malone
    Big Sexy
    Nique
    West
    Pistol Pete
    Archibald

[This message has been edited by No Worries (edited December 10, 1999).]

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

TheFreak,

Did you ever see Dr J play? Dr J stood out from his peers even more so than Jordan did. No one could even begin to guard him.

Bird is so overrated. He did win championships along a team of great players including Parish, McHale, and DJ. He did not do it single handedly. Bird's overhyped reputation relied on the fact that he is white, that he played for the Celts, and that he played close to NYC (media capital of the USA).

What I really hated about Bird was that he got away with so much. He was not quick enough to always get his shot, so he inevitably had to push off to get his shot.

People say that he was one of the best passers for his size, but forget that Magic was the same height and easily the best passer ever.

His 1-1 D was also nonexistent. McHale always got the honors for the better of the 3 or 4 for the opposing team.

The bottom line for Bird is that he was one the best shooters (but no Pistol Pete) and a very good passer (but no Magic).

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No Worries -

Most of my knowledge of Dr. J comes from Classic Sports Network, I will admit, so I don't claim to know more about him than you. From what I've seen, though, he was clearly not unstoppable (Walton's Blazers were not THAT good). Being able to play above the rim doesn't automatically make you a great player. If he was better than Bird, he would have another ring, it's that simple. Bird was drafted #2, and in his second season led his team to the championship, as their best player by far. That would be like Mike Bibby leading Vancouver to the championship THIS year. Simply an amazing accomplishment.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let's not forget that When Dr.J came to the League . .. he had already been past some of youth because he was in the ABA.

Dr.J was the Magnificent player I ever watched play. Dr.J keep Philly in the mix CONSISTANTLY in the 80s. [I won't even mention the bull**** Advantave in the Boston 'the celts can do no wrong' Garden . . . need I remind folx about it . .. was it '81 and '86]

I could goto the Small media Conspiracy but I won't. He was Super Quick.

BTW most players in this Era could not play in that one. . . NO PALMING[Slippen]. . . NO THREE STEPS TO THE BASKET [MJ!!] . . . and It was all Finesse no Beefball. I'd Take Dr.J in his Prime ANYTIME.

notice . . .Dr J was 6'6 SMall Forward
    Mj was a 6'6 Shooting Guard

The game has change.

It is always difficult to Judge Eras

Rocket River
    I remember how Astonished I was when My Grandfather told me that in his day . . .they couldn't Dunk and a Cross Over was considered a double dribble.

16. heypartner

Rocket River,

did your granddad really say that about the cross-over dribble. i can see palming or traveling being called, but there's no double dribble there.

17. Explain to me how Bird and Magic redefined the "complete" game, when the Big O was averaging a triple double for a season???

It wasn't a fluke. The man nearly did it several times.

He also had the Displeasure of playing for an aweful team.

As for Dr. J. I can remember watching him play in the NBA. Im only 25 for pete's sake! I know J's acrobats were so phenominal that he single handedly drove the ABA. Lets not forget, MJ merely wanted to duplicate J's free throw dunk, he didn't exactly push the bar up.

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Man, thats an overwhelming list, we shouldn't be offended to see no Hakeem there. But, the Dream would definately not look out of place on that list, and even though Baylor was awesome, he may be the one guy I wold emitt from that list.

As for Oscar, it would be a grave sin if he was not on the list. Like thedreamshake mentioned, he totally redefined the game, and was the games first true complete player.

I would put Hakeem around the cusp of that list, along with Moses, Julias, Baylor and West.

Azim da Dream

19. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Who should Hakeem replace on that list?

How about Elgin Baylor? Dude never won an NBA championship in his entire career.

20. heypartner

OK--here's why I don't favor Oscar, Baylor or Dr J.

My formula is based on (re)defining a new standard for the game. So, I change my list as improvements are made to the game. I find it difficult to rate everyone in their time and place.

Jordan redefined what Baylor and Dr. J could do, thus he wholly supplants them.

Bird and Magic redefined the complete game of Oscar. They are both triple double players if you put their game back in Oscars time and place. I include them both (rather than just one) because Bird was also the best pure shooter of all time, and Magic defined a new standard for fastbreak offenses.

Jerry West simply does not belong.

That's my personnal preference. Again, please don't yell at me without offering up a team of your own.

We my criteria of ignoring measurements based on time and place, rather giving the nod to new inventions/standards as the game improves, I can even narrow it down to 5:

1. jordan (redefined how to create your own shot)
    2. magic (redefined fastbreaking/passing)
    3. bird (redefined pure shooting/passing)
    4. hakeem (redefines speed at low post, best combo off/def)
    5. jabbar (most undefensible shot we will ever see)

it is really hard to get down five, i choose to do it based on new standards of excellence...thus old stars tend to get replaced.

this thread is as much about how you choose the top 10 as it is who you choose. stats as a means of measuring older players in their time and place, is not the key ingredient for me. Neither are Russell's rings.

this is a fun exercise...let's keep it that way--no fistfights.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 10, 1999).]