1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] CNN Lets 'Crossfire' Host Carlson Go

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Doctor Robert, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

In reference to the previous thread Jon Stewart on Crossfire, it looks like Jon Stewart has won!

CNN just took a bold step forward and cancelled Crossfire (in it's current form), and fired Tucker Carlson.

I think this is fantastic news and I desperately hope that it results in good things for the network. Let's hope that CNN restores itself to the network it was before it entered the ratings wars. Since more and more people are relying on cable news for their information, it is a wonderful sign that they are taking the high road in an industry that is completely filled with crap right now and always seems to seek out the lowest common denominator.

CNN Lets 'Crossfire' Host Carlson Go
    Associated Press

NEW YORK - CNN said goodbye to pundit Tucker Carlson on Wednesday, and with him likely the "Crossfire" program that has been the granddaddy of high-volume political debate shows on cable television.

CNN will probably fold "Crossfire" into its other programming, perhaps as an occasional segment on the daytime show "Inside Politics," said Jonathan Klein, who was appointed in late November as chief executive of CNN's U.S. network.

Klein on Wednesday told Carlson, one of the four "Crossfire" hosts, that CNN would not be offering him a new contract. Carlson has reportedly been talking with MSNBC about a prime-time opening replacing Deborah Norville.

Carlson did not immediately return a call to his cell phone for comment.

The bow-tied wearing conservative pundit got into a public tussle last fall with comic Jon Stewart, who has been critical of cable political programs that devolve into shoutfests.

"I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp," Klein told The Associated Press.

He said all of the cable networks, including CNN, have overdosed on programming devoted to arguing over issues. Klein said he wants more substantive programming that is still compelling.

"I doubt that when the president sits down with his advisers they scream at him to bring him up to date on all of the issues," he said. "I don't know why we don't treat the audience with the same respect."

"Crossfire" began in 1982 and was once a mainstay of CNN's prime time. Pat Buchanan (news - web sites) from the right and Michael Kinsley from the left were two of its most prominent hosts.

But as Fox News Channel perfected the format with popular hosts Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, "Crossfire" lost favor among CNN executives and was moved to the afternoons in 2002. It averages 447,000 viewers each weekday, down 21 percent from the previous season, according to Nielsen Media Research. Carlson rotates as host with conservative columnist Bob Novak. Paul Begala and James Carville are the left-leaning ringleaders.

Klein said he hoped Novak, Begala and Carville would continue with meaningful commentator roles at CNN.

Carlson had one failed bid at prime time on CNN with "The Spin Room," which was canceled for low ratings after less than six months in 2001.

He subbed last week for newscaster Aaron Brown as Klein wanted to see him in a different role before making a decision about his future. Klein said his views on wanting to change the tone of political coverage were separate from the decision to keep Carlson.

"His career aspirations and our programming needs just don't synch up," Klein said. "He wants to host his own nighttime show and we don't see that in the cards here. Out of respect for him and his talent, we thought it would be best to let him explore opportunities elsewhere."

An MSNBC spokesman had no comment on CNN's decision.

"We think Tucker is a great journalist and we're exploring our options for a new 9 p.m. show," said MSNBC's Jeremy Gaines.

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

OK... maybe I spoke a little too soon with the commentary. Being overjoyed that the show was basically cancelled, I overlooked the internal politics of CNN. I'm certainly no expert on that stuff, so like Slate.com says, "Somehow I don't think that Klein's idea for what will replace "head-butting" on CNN--namely "storytelling"--will prove to be what Jon Stewart had in mind either." I guess my wrath would better be projected onto CNN rather than Tucker.

Slate.com

Now he's flooded the zone: The worst 5 words you can say to a paranoid person are "Relax, I'm your biggest defender." (Trust me on that.) Like a good paranoid, CNN's new chief Jonathan Klein has a lot of people out to get him--but I'm through being his biggest defender! Why? Yesterday, in the course of killing Crossfire and not renewing Crossfire co-host Tucker Carlson's contract--two decisions that may be perfectly defensible--Klein told the Associated Press, "I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp." ... So let me get this straight. Carlson soldiers on as Crossfire interviewer while the show gets worse and worse. It's expanded, it's contracted, it's moved around the schedule. He has CNN people yelling in his ear to "get mad" or to interrupt his guests. He does what he's told. (You think he necessarily likes doing that? Then why is his own show, Tucker Carlson: Unfiltered, a model of civil discourse?) Then Carlson has a guest on Crossfire, a popular liberal comedian who doesn't like CNN-style shoutfests and when challenged calls Carlson a "dick" on the air. Everybody talks about it for a week. Most of the chatterers favor the comedian. Carlson takes a PR hit for the team. So when Klein gets to choose between backing his organization's employee up or associating himself with the popular comedian, Klein ... tells the press he sides with the guy who called his employee a "dick"? ... Why would anyone want to go to work for this man? ... Update: Klein tells walking-conflict-of-interest Howie Kurtz--who works for him but also reports on him for the Washington Post!--that Carlson is "best suited to host a head-butting talkfest," something that's manifestly untrue given a) Carlson's excellent PBS show and b) his dissent from GOP orthodoxy on issues like Iraq. ... P.S.: Somehow I don't think that Klein's idea for what will replace "head-butting" on CNN--namely "storytelling"--will prove to be what Jon Stewart had in mind either. ... 4:41 P.M.

#2 Doctor Robert, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! A soap opera for sure. :eek:
    I wish I had back all the hours I've wasted watching Crossfire. It had it's moments but, like the goofy trail-scandal cable news shows, became a creature of the show's style, and much less focused about the quality of it's content.

Keep D&D Civil!!

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i personally loved the bowtie.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I don't care if it was CNN or *ucker Carlson. I'd rather eat my shoe than listen to that obnoxious, ultra-conservative who has the audacity to challenge Jon Stewart. Great news for everyone.

Cod