1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AOC gets what she wants: [NYT] Amazon Pulls Out of Planned New York City Headquarters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there anything the Amazing Ms. Ocasio-Cortez cannot do???

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/nyregion/amazon-hq2-queens.html

Dark Rhino likes this.
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Every politician's playbook ever: State Sen. Michael Gianaris, a vocal critic who was chosen for a state board with the power to veto the deal, said the decision revealed Amazon’s unwillingness to work with the Queens community it had wanted to join.

“Like a petulant child, Amazon insists on getting its way or takes its ball and leaves,” said Mr. Gianaris, a Democrat, whose neighborhood includes Long Island City. “The only thing that happened here is that a community that was going to be profoundly affected by their presence started asking questions.’’

Basically turn them into a villain and then complain when they leave. In every scenario for this state senator, Amazon is the villain.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    It all boiled down to one issue: Organized labor. Queens' Councilmen wanted the ability for employees to join a union and Amazon said hell to the naw. Labor Unions are such a plague on American industry. The decreasing relevance of unions has been a beautiful thing to watch over the last few decades.

GOOD DAY

Dark Rhino and BruceAndre like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

5. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

They are the villain. https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/...mazon-didnt-pay-any-federal-income-taxes-2017

Perhaps making companies pay taxes they should is the way to go rather than being like our neighbors.

dmoneybangbang and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I’m sure there will be another area that will throw a bunch of subsidies at a massive corporation.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Seattle City Council Members Visit New York to Warn About Amazon HQ2

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...il-members-visit-nyc-to-warn-about-amazon-hq2

This is really not about AOC.

I am typically pro business, but in this case, Amazon is sucking the resources from Seattle and returning very little. Seattle is now in a bad spot due to them giving so much influence to a single company. Amazon has saturated so much of Seattle that they will struggle to bring in big companies to help diversify the city.

I dont feel too bad for Seattle considering their extreme progressive agenda. The rot is setting in and they are at risk of becoming a Detroit.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Citizens are smartening up now. They're best shot is the deep south where the educated would be glad to work for peanuts while Amazon doesn't pay taxes for decades. Problem is this HQ needs high skilled workers and they aren't going to move to shithole states like Alabama, Missouri or Louisiana.

9. dmoneybangbang

Americans have enjoyed stagnating wages....

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

11. conquistador#11

She's always taking credit for airplanes not crashing. So I assume she will take credit for this and bring it up at her rallies

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Are you blaming the decline in unions for this? Or the impact of illegal immigration?

I can tell you one patriotic American who has not suffered wage stagnation -- and that's The_Conquistador! Unless you are referring to my employees, in which case, that is purely a function of the labor market.

GOOD DAY

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No, I blame brainwashed little guys like you who are patiently against all evidence waiting for trickle down.

Deckard, krnxsnoopy and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

We will see.... obviously those states mentioned (who race to the bottom) aren’t viable but there are others that aren’t “lacking in the knowledge based skills” but will subsidized.

15. jcf

jcf Member

If they had done the deal with Amazon, what was the opportunity cost? Do they have other companies looking to use that space that in the aggregate could have supplied so many jobs?

If not, is it realistic to expect other employers to come in without subsidies? If so, I get it.

But, it sure seems like the protesters successfully ran off a lot of jobs and with that tax revenue.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

No I blame Captialism for its pitfalls. Globalization is the result of captialism. Labor and capital has been global for several decades. Take coal for example, it’s job losses were directly linked to automation in the late 90s/every 2000s.

Too many Americans are stuck in this unique event of the post war boom where we didn’t have competition.

No Worries and Pole like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Sometimes you gotta draw a line in the sand. Also this is NYC we are talking about, a top city globally so they’ll be okay.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Damn, she's amazing. This girl is gonna' make it after all.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Good for Long Island City (I highly recommend the area if visiting NYC for your hotel).

I hate these large companies leveraging their size to try and force governments into giving them a sweetheart deal. My neighboring city is going bankrupt, but has handed out those deals to several companies, including Amazon in the last 10 years. Why do they deserve special treatment over small local businesses?

glynch and CometsWin like this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Because the states/local governments see short term dollar signs in tax revenues from rising property taxes and new businesses popping up for the new employees to frequent that many of the government leaders likely own. Those local government leaders aren't appointed for life. They want to get in that cookie jar while they are in office. Go look at how many mayors, city councilmen, school superintendents get busted for cutting illegal deals with businesses in their communities that put a little green in their pocket. Then imagine all the ones that are getting away with it.