1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone use a humidifier on the regular?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Jan 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

my hands get really dry/crack during the winter months here in ohio...anyone use a humidifier regularly?

how often are you cleaning/changing out the water in them? is it a big hassle? never used one...hoping maybe something can help the dry hands.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't expect too many responses from Houston?

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

good point...just thought i'd throw it out there

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just started using one (and a purifier). Directions say to change the filter at least twice "during the season". I would change it once a month.

Also do a weekly clean for scale removal (with vinegar) and disinfecting (bleach).

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I use one sometimes in Seattle. The one I have is self-cleaning. I refill the water every 2-3 days (turning it on all night), but the only cleaning I have to do is an occasional use of a brush on the edges. Maybe every month or 2.

For me it's useful for the air you're breathing. For hand dryness, I would personally use lotion more frequently or use baby oil right after getting out of the shower every couple of days.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a few 5L Beurer humidifiers. not sure if they're available in the states. they are the old school type that simply heat up water. i've tried the newer ultrasonic type and didn't like them. they are not reliable longer-term, and the 'woofer' gets dirty fast and starts making noise.

with these 5L ones, water has to be replaced about once a day if run nonstop. btw, a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in the water/housing works well to keep bacteria/fungus from growing.

7. Buck Turgidson

What kind of purifier? Been thinking about getting one.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wouldn't use it on the regular setting -- use it on the highest setting and throw in a small piece of dry ice.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The brand is Nuk. It's for babies. Got it from Babies R Us or BuyBuyBaby with a gift card, can't remember which. Same with our humidifier. Got the humidifier for when she has a cold and got the purifier cuz why not.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

For dry hands and face, I wash my hands at home with a hand soap that helps keep them in nice shape, Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin. Have a bottle in the shower and one by my bathroom sink. In the shower, I use it on the areas that get too dry, and at the sink I frequently (not every time - don't need to) use it just to wash my hands. Dry facial skin? In my morning shower, I wash my face with Olay "age defying cleanser" for sensitive skin. Works great and not too expensive, since I use it just for that purpose. There are far more expensive face and hand cleansers, but these work fine on my skin, which is aged and aging more all the time. Should be fine for younger chaps like you. Cheaper than constantly dealing with a humidifier. They are always more of a pain to keep working properly for any reasonable length of time than what the box it came in will tell you. If the humidifier is more for dry sinuses and the like, you'll have to bite the bullet and deal with the damn things. I've tried several over the years and have not been happy with any of them. Good luck!

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UbLjOxlGYqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

House or apartment?

When I lived in Michigan, I installed a humidifier directly to the central heating and it humidified the entire house. Worked fantastic.