1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone remember Drazen Petrovic lighting up MAD MAX?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nikos, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

Anyone remember the game where Drazen lit up Vernon Maxwell of the Rockets for 44pts?

I was just curious if anyone remembers Drazen at all and for people who saw him play, did you think he was a good player?

How would Peja or Dirk to him?

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Petro was a stud. When he was on, he could fill it up from anywhere - unstoppable. Lightning quick release - like the ball never got there, it was up already. Nearly a diffference maker in the Blazers-Bulls series, just got appreciated a bit late. Too many other stars in the way in that one.

3. NBAddict

NBAddict Member

Drazen and Derrick Coleman made a great playoff run in his last year. He was unstoppable from outside and Derrick played the best I've ever seen him play. There was a lot of hope for the next year and then ...

4. Nikos

Nikos Member

Someone mentioned him (Petro) as just a shooter? I dont agree with this but based on what you guys have seen, do you think this is this true? How would you compare him to Stojakovic? How was his defense, and killer instinct?

5. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

I was at that game when Drazon blazed the Rockets for 44 and it was some performance. He was such a great shooter and a great person it was a shame what happened to him. I have that game on videotape. The thing I remember most is that after the game was over Drazen was right by me signing autographs and I was so mad the Rockets lost that I did not even appreaciate the great game Drazon had.

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

to answer your question re: petro v peja/dirk/etc...

petro was a flat out, dead eye shooter with a quick enough first step to get by you for the mid range jumper. oh, and he had "in the gym" range.

another difference between petro and peja/dirk/et al is that petro was significantly shorter than those guys. petro, if i remember correctly, was around 6'5. the guys you mention are not that far from 6'11.

petro was amazing. dead eye shooting amazing. not a streak shooter, mind you, a dead eye "don't EVER leave me alone or i'll bust yo ass" shooter.

oh...and his release? quick, quick, quick.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Petro was like a euro reggie miller. He was nice and pretty tough also. Of course back then I don't think any euro player plaed d except marcelounous. He was good and nj was on the way up, after he was killed in the car wreck, it seemed like the franchise went down

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did anyone hear the story of Rumeal Robinson counting him nailing 89/100 jumpshots moving around the basket, 66 in a row. And guess how many attempts did it take for him to hit 100 top of the circle 3 ptrs without having to move. . . I recall that being a Dino Radja story (or maybe Vlade).

btw:

<a href="http://www.dom.avalon.hr/petro/nets/">Nobody is going to stop me now</a>

Read the Portland experience when Adelman wouldn't let him off the bench, and Porter was afraid to let him shine.

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

He was an outstanding player

he would be a household name if he played a few more years

10. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

crispee, I hit 45 of 50 jump shots a few weeks ago, That was the best I ever did. I started off 16 for 16. It is fun to count jumpshots because it is you versus the rim and you cant cheat because if you do you will be cheating yourself.