1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone know if the Xbox 360 is...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mikeylu, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

moddable? as in..is there a mod chip available similar to that of the regular xbox and ps2 systems..although i only really have a little over 6 months to play the thing..because i will be too busy to play during med school next fall

still debating on whether to get it or not..i know that if i havnt preordered by now..there is no way i'll get it b4 new years..thats ok too..i plan to travel during xmas.

anyways..what are your thoughts

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It sounds like MS will be making it much more difficult to mod than the original Xbox, but I'm sure people will find a way through whatever MS puts in. May not be as easy as the Xbox, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

3. droxford

droxford Member

Well, considering the Xbox 360 hasn't been released yet, I don't think there are many mod chips out there.

4. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

i wasnt asking if there was a mod chip availabe at this instant...i was merely wondering if people were working on one...granted the system hasnt been released there are pix of ppl playing it at home...thus im sure someone has gotten their hands on one..and hopefully attempted to mod it...

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

from what I heard, they are trying to figure a way where its tough to even open the system yet ive seen pics online where they showed the board online.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

AFAIK, pretty much all of the Xbox 360 systems shown so far have been devkits, not the final retail version of the system. So I wouldn't doubt it if they had some slight variations to them compared to the final retail version, especially in the modding department; after all, since really only developers and publishers have them, really no purpose in trying to make them mod-proof or whatever. I think recently they've started showing some retail (or close to it) versions at shows or to the press, so maybe one could get "lost" there. I know I read something about a week or 2 back about how 10 Xbox 360's were stolen.

7. Christopher

Christopher Member

You'd have to think that its pretty much impossible to make these systems unmoddable.

I mean, if you can "Break" the system when moding it you can fix it again if you knew what you were doing.

Outside of the system actually destroying itself somehow (Which would be extreme from SM to say the least) I dont see how they can stop the system from being hacked.

Its interesting because over here in Australia there was recently a ruling that you are allowed, by law, to customise your gaming systems. This would open up cheaping gaming for Australian gamers as they will be able to shop overseas for games.

Unfortunantly it will also lead to piracy.....but I think if your that way inclined your doing that now anyway.

Personally, its not my thing, I'd rather get the real deal.