1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have any experience working for AT&T?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Sep 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I have an interview tomorrow for a sales position at one of their stores(not a kiosk in the mall). What are the sales goals like? Pay? Pros and cons basically is what I'm asking for.

2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

no experience but from what I understand its high on commission if you're a salesman

3. what

what Member

I have. I worked at their call center. They don't care about their employees at all, and management, for the most part, are lacking management skills or a backbone. They aggressively fire their employees and they put pressure on you and unreal expectations.

It is okay for pay and benefits, but a terrible company otherwise.

I worked for them for 8 years, btw.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Do you mean like the commission is really good or is what you earn solely based on commission?

I'm currently a lead teller at Wells Fargo, working full time and going to school full time too. I'm just looking for a little more flexibility as far as work schedule goes. Don't get me wrong I really like it where I am at now but if I'm offered more money with decent 20-25 hours a week I'll take it until I get my bachelors next summer.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You should hit up Amegy Bank, even normal tellers make decent money.

In terms of sales job for at&t, I honestly don't know but if you are looking to get into that business, I highly recommend Verizon Wireless.
    They have pretty bad ass incentives, and the commission is nice. I know someone who used to make $4,000 or so a month in commission. Plus, they're hiring.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Check out glassdoor.com.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I read through some reviews there but it's just too much negativity. It can't all be as bad as they say.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Makes sense. Disgruntled employees are probably more likely to submit a review than happy ones. In fact, visitors at the site are probably there checking out other companies because they are disgruntled and going ahead and reviewing their current company to be granted fuller access to the site's data.

9. what

what Member

I promise you that it is.

Get ready to have your entire personality stripped. All they care about at ATT is the bottom line, and you will never feel like you have got a handle on things because they rule you by fear of being fired at any moment.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

All I wanna know is...why hasn't my AT&T data network for my friggin' iPhone worked in the past two hours?? :mad:

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

ATT is not a good company. They will work you like a dog and compromise your ethics. If you're looking to get into that field, go apply with Verizon.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I applied for a salesman position about 5 years ago...They made me come in for a screening, multiple interviews , then told me I was over qualified for the position (I only had a Associates Degree at the time).. The next time I applied I came in shorts and a t-shirt and was offered a salesman job!!!!...Hope this info helps with your decision... I myself would rather work for DirecTV

13. what

what Member

Have you tried to reset the phone by pushing the bottom middle button and the top right off switch simultaneously until the screen says apple. If not try that.

14. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I worked for ATT for 2 years. They would constantly change the pay structure making it unrealistic for you to hit your numbers. It was ridiculous. Oh and when you first get hired don't plan on getting the schedule you want because people with seniority have first pick. The thing that sucked is people with seniority would constantly transfer stores to newer locations just to remain the top dog.

I'd be wary if I were you.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Well guys I guess I lucked out. They're only looking for full time (even though the recruiter had previously told me both full and part time) and don't work with school schedules. Oh well no biggie. After all these things I've been hearing I'm pretty much relieved it worked out the way it did. Might as well just stay at the bank til I graduate next summer.

16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

From what I got without asking specifics about pay from a few people, it's not solely commission, but if you're not out there kicking ass every day, you don't make good money. We can all agree, aggressive salesmen is not what we want when we're looking for a new phone or service.

I assume by now you've had the interview though and have a better idea of what's expected of you.

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Then rob them mfers' blind!!!!!!...Thats Business 101...

18. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I see that was the case, I think you were better served working for a much better company where you already hold a good position.

19. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I have my second interview for part time National Accounts Rep this Tuesday... In other words I'd be training the employees at Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. I have some friends that do it and they love the flexibility and pay structure/commission. I'd only be working Friday - Sunday, which works perfectly for me until I graduate from UH in the Spring. Maybe the retail stores are more strict but I've heard nothing but good things about being a field rep.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

AT&T is kind of a ..... umm... big company. Different people at different locations and in different jobs are going to have varying opinions on the company. I know people who have worked there for almost a decade that love it. But I also know locations where the turnover is high. Of course, I don't know anybody in sales there, so who knows.