1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever hard surgery for a torn achilles?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wrath_of_khan, Dec 10, 2003.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

OK, my bad luck continues with sports injuries. Just a few months after finally being able to play ball after surgery on my ACL, I ruptured my achilles Monday night.

Saw the orthopedist today and he set me up for surgery next Tuesday.

Anyone else ever gone through this? How long were you on cructhes afterwards? How long was PT? What was the level of post-op pain?

Any war stories you have would be helpful...

By the way, after 2 torn ACLS and a ruptured achilles in 6 years, I'm seriously considering giving up hoops. Never thought I'd say that, but this cycle of injury/operation/9 months of PT/repeat has gotten old. Not to mention that my wife and I now have to cancel our trip to Costa Rica next month.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Now that totally sucks. Good luck with your surgery

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ask Jason White

4. wrath_of_khan

I'll call him right up. Thanks for the helpful tip.

:rolleyes:

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

A couple of guys in my Geezer Basketball game have had the ruptured Achilles and were back on the court in about 6 months as I recall. One guy in his late 30's and one guy in his mid-40's.

That seems to be one injury you can bounce back from; they are both playing at their previous level of intensity.

6. Sane

Sane Member

Ruptured my right achilles and tore my left ACL in the same game, was back playing in 3 to 4 months (although agianst doctor's orders).

7. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

Sorry about your luck. I had this happen my senior year in High School, I was done for 6 months.

8. wrath_of_khan

Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually wondering less about how long it took to getting back to playing ball than I'm wondering about the short term effects.

How long were you on crutches? How long until you could get around normally? How long until you were back at work?

My wife and I are considering rescheduling the Costa Rica trip in February, but I'm wondering if I'll be active enough for that after the surgery.