1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else worried about Tmac's weight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotblooded, Oct 1, 2008.

1. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Tmac seems to have put on a few pounds. If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago where he spent the entire offseason building on his muscles and increasing weight, the end result was too much stress on his knees and back. The year after, he was much slimmer but as such, he could not take a great deal of contact.

So that begs the question, what do you guys see as his optimal weight? I think his explosiveness may take a hit, which means he will resort to taking more jumpers because he cannot explode to the rim. (hopefully ron can take care of the "getting to the rim" part)

On the other hand, Yao has lost a tonne of weight (so has stevie). Its quite funny because I remember 3-4 years ago, we all wanted to Yao to bulk up, while wanting Tmac to slim down.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We Cltuchf ans are worse than a bunch of gossiping women about judging others' weight...

3. f_chowd0696

f_chowd0696 Member

Unfortunately, Mcgrady's weight has a impact on his health and his productivity on the court. And seeing that he is one of the two most important pieces on this team, this conversation is very much worthwhile.

Unlike many smart veterans in the league(Kobe), Mcgrady hasn't figured out that his metabolism has drastically slowed down and he cannot eat like he did when he was in his early to mid twenties and maintain a low body fat percentage.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

it was a joke man.

5. thesaint

thesaint Member

I saw Tmac at Saez n Zuke nightclub last Friday. And indeed it looked like he has put on weight. I could see his gut and looked a bit out of shape. So yes i agree with this thread, Tmac looks like he has gained weight.

6. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Having surgery to 2 of you're major tendons and Not being able to walk for 4 months and not run at all, does that to anyone. he will gradually get into better shape as the pre-season and regular season rolls on.

7. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I watched his game during his Orlando days and I thougth about this myself. Well, I don't think its accurate to say but he was really slim back then and was really explosive. Maybe that was also a combination of youth, motivation, and prime athleticism. Also, he was probably really into the game back then. Now, he jogs back and forth and bends over with his hands on his knees pretty darn often.

I really can't make a fair assessment but I'd say losing a few pounds...maybe 20...shouldn't hurt. Maybe 10.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly, this is the truth right here. Yes, he does have a gut, but he couldn't even do much since one of his legs was out and so was one of his shoulders. He is unfit but to be expected seeing he is not fully recovered.

9. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Yes. I'm not a big fan of the "have to put on weight/muscle" theory cause it usually leads to injuries no matter the player. Especially coming off knee surgery I would want less weight on those knees. Most of the skinny dudes are the league's ironmen(ex. Rip, Iverson, Bowen, KG). Shawn Livingston being the only exception.

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I would actually like to see Tmac gain a little more muscle only if he doesn't lose his explosiveness and if it doesn't lead to more injuries, but gaining more muscle I think would maybe help him get injuried less and maybe it might improve his game a little (he might be able to finish a lot more phsycial plays around the basket, etc.)

11. joesr

joesr Member

Wouldn't more muscle tissue help you to be less injury prone? If so I'd like to see more muscle...maybe not as much as a couple years ago like hotblooded posted about him moving slower on the explosive side but more then last year. So kinda in between?

12. kwng

kwng Member

I am not too worry about his weight. I am more worry about his recovery from his surgery and his health as mentioned another post.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tmac has more muscle all right....Table Muscle !!

Once he gets into the season the weight will come off......Ron Ron will work his ARSE out until he is ready.

He has a month to lose it....I am not worried at all.

DD

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Amen.

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

You are right, I agree with that.

He was doing his rehabilitation the whole summer so it is pretty easy he's more fat now. But once the traning camp, season starts he will lose it, I am sure.

16. Trisha

Trisha Member

to be honest,he's shape disappointed me a little.
    when seeing the photos he went to Atlanta one month ago,it seems he has lost some weight.
    but now....
    he's more fatter than last Oct.
    maybe because the injures stop him working hard?
    ok now we have one month more...
    hope he will slim down.

17. Classic

Classic Member

A little weight loss math. The guy is 6'8 225 lbs probably right? I'm sure he's 200lbs of lean body mass. That probably gives him a resting metabolic rate of 2700 to 3000 calories. Take in account that he is probably burning an additional 3000 calories in daily activity and tmac is probably burning in the neighborhood of 6000 calories per day. He's probably eating 4000 calories a day which gives him a net defficit of 2000 calories per day. To burn one pound of body fat you have to burn 3500 calories. These guys are professional atheletes and have access to nutritionists and chefs. This weight you people see will probably be gone in a week. Tmac is no Oliver Miller, it will be gone. I'm not worried at all.

18. tangsanmao

tangsanmao Member

fu*k! I can't wait the Game any longer! Come on :cool:

19. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

its not about losing fat, more about gaining muscle mass

I know he is a professional athelete which is why I am not that worried, I just hope its not a reflection of his work ethics

20. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

its quite pertinent that the ad "How I lost 22 pounds" is right below this thread :p