1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anyone else tired of all the ISO ball ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Our offense works. The regular season and playoffs proved it. But, you better have at least two healthy elite ball handlers available at all times.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The offense is suited to what the star player will run and can run effectively.

James Harden refuses to move off the ball. He's "almost" incorporated a quick back cut when he's being overplayed... but he'll also forget about that for multiple games.

If the question is am I tired of it. **** yes.

It's worked against most teams and in the regular season, but not against the best defenses or certain types of defenders. But it generally works very very very well. So from that perspective it's very fun to watch at times.

But as it bogs down... as it inevitably does against good defenses, it's hard as hell to watch.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Team USA basketball isn't about ISO.

4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I'm tired of it, but i understand why we use it - if they're tired. You can easily see the difference in our game when we get on a run with consistent ball movement and then all of a sudden, people literally just standing at the perimeter, ball in Harden's hands draining the clock to end up with Harden taking a 3pt shot over someone. Its like they go from smooth rhythm/fast game play to standing statues watching Harden play a game of horse.

Surfguy likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can be a blind homer all you want

Somebody should have called time out during golden states run
    And someone should have made adjustments

But you can be a blind fan

And I can be a pure fan

6. TheMountainTop

Definitely Agree that we need to ease up on the iso ball. Have more screens and cuts to the basket. Ball movement needs to increase.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The Rockets will beat 85 to 90% of most teams with that style of play, but they want be able to beat the top 5 to 10% of teams that play smart team defense and offense.

It was so interesting to hear Chuck, Kenny and Shaq repeating the same thing game after game about the Rockets playing iso and then playing as a team passing the ball around. When the Rockets are playing team ball they can beat any team on any day.

T_Man

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

the 2016 Thunder, 2016 Cavs, and 2018 Rockets are the only teams to take GS to 7 games...all of them played ISO ball

so no, I’m not tired of all the ISO ball...we’d be in the finals right now and heavily favored to win the title if CP3 didn’t go down

Mr. Space City and YOLO like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wouldn't put a ton of faith in what those guys say.

My point was the style is infuriating to watch and bogs down against better defenses.

But on the whole, not sure how you beat the Warriors playing "their" style in a 7 game series?

If I was coach and had to try and "fix" this "problem" it wouldn't be anything close to a big switch of offenses or even making sure they scored earlier in the shot clock much more often (the TNT guys big request), it would be adding a ton of other ways to get the ISO guys the ball in positions where they have beneficial mismatches. Simple plays to get switches off ball, etc.

In my view, this accomplishes a couple of things:
    - gets more motion from the "others". I think they need a little more motion to just feel more involved which might have an impact on shooting percentages, open or otherwise
    - creates more variety, obviously. keeps defense on their toes
    - makes defense move more

stuff like that...

Jake Tower likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like GS offense a lot better, but I appreciate the unique talent we have.

DD

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Does anyone have the Rockets shooting percentage stats for late games vs. early games? I feel the ISO plays leave the other guys cold, and out of their shooting rhythm with the time, as a result, their shooting percentage will dip late in the game.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would like GS offence too.

Please sign with us Katy. We named a town after you.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It didn't work though, we were held under 100 each game. Since when does a highly efficient offense get shut down like ours did?

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

They sure as hell won a Championship after NBA gifted them with the suspension of Draymond Green when Golden State were up 3-1 in the series.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

huhh? I don't think ISO lead to wide open shots. Not against Golden State. Maybe against other teams. ISO is just one on one but Golden State is so good at closing out the attack and recover that it makes ISO player forcing up shots and basically have no where to go but shoot. It's too bad that Golden State did not get to demonstrate that much with Iggy out the rest of the series. But my point is ISO is ineffective against Golden State. Team ball and creativity and movement is what lead to the break of defense. ISO allowed defenders to get set and even REST!

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Incorrect. We scored over 100 in two of the games against the Warriors. I think you need to look at the season as a whole when judging the team and its performance. The Warriors are the best team in the league so it's not surprising we would struggle the most when playing them. We did score over 100 in all of our games in the first two series, and we had the best record in the regular season. The offense performed very well this season.

Just because we didn't win the championship doesn't mean we have to change something that for the most part worked very well for the season. We just need to keep tweaking the roster and continue to improve.