1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else still high on Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 25, 2019.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No...just no...

2. Acura

Acura Member

You are high on something and it’s not Clint Capela

Slimfa, PrawnJ and Scola Scoops like this.
  3. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

And what has Nerlen's Noel done to make you think he's better than Capela?

4. Sanity2disChaos

This will never happen.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Well, a sense of humor isn’t your strong suit.

You ought to take @topfive ’s advice. Read more and post less. ‘The new ******* on the block’ routine ain’t working for you. Try something new.

6. Acura

Acura Member

Or I’ll jut continue living my life. Thanks

Tomstro likes this.
  7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I assert what he has to work on is his self confidence.... which draymond exploits. Remember he came from humble beginnings... just like Hakeem. There is the culture shock aspect then he had to deal with an entitled brat like draymond who is encouraged to do that... it’s part of his game. He gets past that psychological game he will be a dominant force.

8. bmelo

bmelo Member

No. He is athletic and can catch ball and dunk. But he is just poorly developed basketball player

ak99999 likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, probably, but i would've said the same thing about 28 years old Dedmon.

Mathloom likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah man, keep living your best life. If being a tool is the best you can do.. I say go for it and live with the results.

Of course, maybe you've got something better inside you that people would really appreciate here, rather than bustin' on folks?

dmoneybangbang, YOLO and Da Wink like this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I was never extremely high on Capela but the options out there right now just don't seem to be out there.
    The one thing I have always wondered is if our Morey system is somewhat hindering his growth. I remember watching Siakam suck at shooting and has now progressed amazingly. What if Clint actually had the room to grow? Without someone in his ear telling him to just dunk it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Man if he could deliver a hook shot or a midrange jump shot that would be helpful. Can't just catch lobs and be good in today's Nba.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. anchel

anchel Member

Thank you.

I couldn't care less about his shooting form, there are countless players with rare mechanics putting the ball in the hole. I appreciate the fact he's working to expand his game, obviously you don't get inmediate results, but that's a good first step.

If you think he had Olajuwon potential, that's your issue, he's a late 1st round pick and his player profile is the one of an athletic center who can run the court and finish p&r's, and he's been very good a it, like elite at it. He comes from a 16.7-12.7 season, he's 25 and has shown progress every year, his work ethic is there. I get it, his last playoffs were bad, it was very evident he was not 100% fine, for whatever reason. But it is ridiculous to treat him like a scrub now or like a player who does not have the capacity to grow. Ridiculous.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I am extremely disappointed with the Coaching Staffs over Clint Capela lack of and absolutely no improvement in his jump shot.

John Lucas ain't helping too much Clint jumpshot, Clint was a 15% Free Throw Shooter to 60% with Lucas.

His midrange shot is awful, and cringey. Why does he have a hitch in his shot and in his free throw shot.

His Mental psychology is really needed, he needs a therapist and a a real shooting coach.

The Rockets need to find Anthony Bennett shooting coach, he worked a miracle in Bennett shooting form from 3 point range, his Free Throws, his post game.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

No high nor low. I think he has reached his peak. He thrives with the good playmakers/scorers like Harden. But purely as a center, he struggles and inconsistent on defense. Without a playmaker, he's at best average.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Capela is never going to show a jump shot. What you can HOPE to get from Capela is

1) Finishing around the basket with authority. No more missed bunnies
    2) Being able to put the ball on the floor for a dribble or two to get to the basket. Like if he is in the high post. We saw Looney do this for example.

Just simple things like that I think can be achievable and add a bit more to his game.

BaselineFade, hongxingli and J.R. like this.
  17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

This has to be a troll post

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree about the jump shot, but if he could develop a little hook shot around the basket? Doesn't seem impossible to me.

Deuce likes this.
  19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

My biggest issues with Clint have always come down to toughness and physicality. He's fast and athletic. He had good feet and good shot blocking instincts. At times he can look dominant in doing what he does well. He has the ability to block shots and rebound at an elite level. He does warm hard and has shown tremendous growth in his game.

It's the times that he goes up against bigs who bring the physical game to the next level is usually my greatest disappointment. It's not just Draymond. When other bigs really get low and bring the fight to Clint under the glass there are times when he just backs down. He stops even trying to fight for position.

I do hate the fact that Draymond seems to have such a mental stronghold over him, but in fairness Draymond does that to alot of bigs. I just want him to fight because we need him to even against those larger bigs or the bully types.

When he handled KAT and Gobert the way he did in the 17-18 playoffs I couldn't have been more thrilled. But then I realized as I watched those matchups this past season that those guys don't really bang or push Clint that much in the paint. I think he will continue to play well against those type of centers.

My fears with Clint moving forward come down to Cousins/Davis, Draymond/Looney, and ultimately Embid/Horford. I think he can get the best of Zubac/Harrell but even that won't be easy. And I'm only referring to next postseason.

I still love Clint. I just him to stand up to the bullies. We do lack quality height and length so Clint playing well vs the Elite teams/bigs is imperative when looking at how some of those opposing rosters have come together.

Acura likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Go Clint!
    Prove the doubters wrong!

BaselineFade likes this.