1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone Else Notice This? [Hakeem's Halftime]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Been meaning to ask this for a bit..

I was watching the halftime tribute to Hakeem during the Suns game, and before Hakeem came up, I saw something happening, and I was wondering if it was just my imagination, or was something really going on.

Les came out to the microphone and was starting to talk about Hakeem, asked Olajuwon to 'Come on up here please', and was indicating with his head up towards the rafters. At that moment, Bill Worrell came up from behind Les, and took the microphone from him, and from the look on Les' face, he was not expecting it. Bill then went on to make the presentation, while Les just stood around looking lost and annoyed.

Now my overactive imagination sees this as Les intending to make the speech there, and do the little honor of unveiling Hakeem's jersey in the rafters, and Bill thinking that he himself was supposed to, or possibly was just damn well GOING to, regardless of what Les wanted.

I'm sure it's nothing, but boy it sure looked awkward, and it made me wonder if there is something behind the scenes between Bill and Les. I don't really know exactly what Bill's relation to Calvin really was/is, but they sure did seem to be good friends, and I was curious if perhaps Bill wasn't going to allow Les to do the jersey thing, maybe as a middle finger on behalf of Calvin or something.

Ah well, really I was just curious if anyone else noticed that awkwardness during the halftime, that's all.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Bill probably figured he deserved to do this since he's had to put up with Matt's corny jokes and Clyde's overall lost touch with reality.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lol Les was never a good speaker anyways. Remember when the rockets honored mutombo? Les spoke like, 2 sentences that was it.

4. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aEtWA_TnpYU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aEtWA_TnpYU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

hahaha holy **** you're right.

Les is just like huh? And then Bill says something to him, therefore Les handing the mike over to him. After this happens Les points over to the rafters saying something like "wtf what about the rafter" all confused lol.

Sidenote: Les's voice is so god damn new york, annoying, and humdrum. Thank god Bill introduced him.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'd like to think that's Bill's little way of humiliating Les for not giving Dream the money he wanted a few years ago, but he was probably too busy thinking about scoring with all of our mothers.

6. floyd1

floyd1 Member

What I thought was weird is how Hakeem thanked God. I thought he was Muslim. Wouldn't he thank Allah? Or is that frowned upon? Please forgive my ignorance, but could someone with more knowledge enlighten me?

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Allah is another name for God.

8. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I noticed that too, ackward no doubt.

Hakeem is probably a lot closer to Bill than Les anyways. They got the University of Houston bond and decade longer friendship with the Rockets years.

If I was Hakeem I would have requested Bill do the introduction/ talking for sure!

9. floyd1

floyd1 Member

OK, so they can be used interchangeably. I did not know that. Thanks.

With the way things are in today's world, I can see why he would say God instead of Allah. But I think that's sad. :(

10. foo82

foo82 Member

allah is arabic for god and is used by christian arabs as well.
    1. He's not arabic
    2. Arabic != muslim
    3. He's speaking English

11. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Bil grabbed the mic because there was some pros that he only knew about... Bill is controlled by floor director.

12. floyd1

floyd1 Member

Just to clarify. I meant it is sad to see Americans degrade the Muslim religion because of a few nuts. Not Hakeems choice in words.

13. foo82

foo82 Member

Read my post. There would be no reason for him to use the world allah. It's as if Luis Scola busted out "I would like to thank dios(god in spanish)". Wouldn't make much sense for him to do that.

14. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

[correction] props...

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But that would be awesome. :D

They could pan to Ronnie James Dio and his family.

16. floyd1

floyd1 Member

But I've heard english speaking people say Allah too. That's why I'm confused I guess :confused: . Thanks for the education.

17. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Dude, you're right... Les Alexander looks pissed!

18. memo4mvp

memo4mvp Member

You are wrong mister. In Muslim belief Allah is the name of "the only single god that exists". There is no trace of the word "Allah" in any language before revelation of Islam to Mohammed.

Granted, it is logical to use the word God against a non-muslim audience. Allah is the God as Islam describes, so Hakeem understandably used the word. However it has zero to do with the choice of language. I am sure he never uses the word "God" in his conversations with muslim people.

19. foo82

foo82 Member

So why do christian arabics or jews use the word allah as well? Why don't Iranians use the word allah?

20. cujo

cujo Member

Les makes the worst speeches. He doesn't say too much. Definitely an awkward moment when Worrell grabbed the mike from him...left him looking lost and confused.