1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else loving the Westbrook post up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pr0wler, Jan 13, 2020.

1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

[​IMG]

I don't know the exact analytics of it or anything, but just based off watching anecdotally, I love Russ posting up against the opposing teams point guard. This is a great counter to defenses that sag off and try to force him to shoot long range shots. He says "okay, I'll just dribble into a post up 10 feet away from the basket then. Thanks." He keeps his center of gravity low, almost like a running back, which is extremely tough to stop. Additionally, with the Rockets spacing, it opens up a lot more avenues to make this play more viable than his days in OKC.

Also, his post game appears to be a lot more simplified and effective as of late. His go to move was shooting a 10-12 foot fade away over right shoulder, which is not an easy shot by any means. But recently I notice him simply using a drop step toward the hoop and finishing with a long layup, with either hand of course. It's almost unstoppable if he has a strength/size advantage, which he almost always does, and there's no rim protector in the area to help.

I've also notice this is a great opportunity to kick out to shooters if they double. Or if the opposing team comes with help, comes he can dish it out for 3's or hand it off to Capela for a look around the basket. I'm really excited about this type of offense and I think it adds a lot of variation and potential for the Rockets offense going forward.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

CF has GROWN TO HATE (always hated) Westbrook so no.

;)

Lawlruschang and apollo33 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Harden post up too.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

At least Westbrook isnt the only one on the team they actually like, you seem to hate everyone else, even Harden.

Blackjack84 likes this.
  5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

But 10 feet away from basket is too far. Directly under the basket sometimes is too far for Russ.

napalm06 likes this.
  6. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

Well go find another team to root for because I love it

7. macan

macan Member

i like it. hope he does more from now on. it's pretty effective.

hakeem94 and pr0wler like this.
  8. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

If he has a strength and size advantage over almost every other point guard in the league, why not use it? Otherwise he's just a glorified Rajon Rondo! Ha

Russ was great offensively last game, again employing his post up strategy. Teams were backing off him, trying to bait him into shooting the mid range. He didn't bite. He just took the extra space and went into the low block. And instead of settling for fancy fade away, he weaved back and forth to gain ground to get closer to the rim for an easier shot.

He was very efficient on offense, and there is nothing unsustainable about what he did. No long 2's outside of 10 feet. None. The only mid range shots he attempted was an open 10 footer on the baseline, and another 10 footer off the dribble in the paint when the defender kept backing up to the point where Russ was almost in point blank range. Both of which were makes. The rest his shots were post ups wearing down the defense, drives to the hoop against slower defenders, and open 3's off the catch in rhythm. All of which are high EV shots for him imo.

I'm very confident he can be a 25+ PPG scorer on 55-60 TS% if he continues this style of play. He is essentially replacing a 35-40% eFG shot (long 2's) with a 60%+ one in the post. That's a huge boost and I'm hopeful and optimistic his new strategy he has used as of late remains effective.

fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Better than a Westbrick 3 I suppose..........

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

NBAtracking data has him at 0.84 points per possession in the post on 2 post ups per game. 37.1 eFG on post up shots. Bottom 1/3 in the league at it.

So loving his posts ups is the opposite of how I would describe it. They aren’t good at all.

Seems as if the eye test is failing quite a few posters. What comes to mind most often when I think of Westbrook post ups is a turnaround fastball that goes flying off the rim or backboard.

To my surprise CC is 2nd overall in points per possession on post ups, a whopping 1.29 points per post up. But only 0.4 attempts per game.

#10 jordnnnn, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Mathloom, Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  11. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I love how quickly Russ adapted his game, saw it as a clear advantage he has on most guards, and stuck to it. Would love to see Harden also in the post and not just as a 3rd or 4th option but quickly get in there and not let the defense settle. They're efficient enough, smart enough, and both willing passers. The post looks more inviting for drives and creativity. Passes out to the 3 would be square in the chest and not at the side. Would love to see this more. Still waiting for when Russ and Harden take turns in the post on consecutive possessions. Keep em coming!

Ramo$e likes this.
  12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I love his quote about abusing shorter players the way they deserve to be abused. Gets me every time.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, Russ seems to vacillate between buckets with heavy trick-shot vibe and those with heavy hands-like-Asik vibe. He's inexplicably blown many, many gimmes around the rim, but then he's also made a bunch that few guys in the league could make.

He's an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, wrapped in a $40M/yr cap-busting contract.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The last Rockets that was trying to score at the low post with this kind of pocession is Dwight.

OK Melo too if you want to count that 10 games.

You know how it ended for them.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

CPs pullup midrange is more automatic than Westbrook at the rim.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Working with dream?

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well this information was not fun to hear, I hope its a mistake in tracking data or nba trying to sabotage rockets falsifying information

fattz likes this.
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He was being sarcastic... It's aight though he still misses more than he should make them.

19. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

He isn't settling for many long two's very often in the post as of late, compared to earlier in the year. That's why his numbers appear inefficient over the course of the season. Taking a lump sum stats over the course of a season doesn't accurately depict the style he's been playing recently as teams continue to back off and force him into jumpshots.

The past week or two, he's using a lot of strength, patience, and shiftiness in the post against smaller defenders to generate shots around the rim, and as a result, his efficiency has been great lately.

fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thank you! this looks more like it! this only goes to prove how deceitful statistics can be...hardly anyone on this board is even remotely qualified to use any of the stat they are using

fattz likes this.