1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone chosen not to repair a torn ACL?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wrath_of_khan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

So, I re-tore my left ACL after having it surgically repaired about 10 years ago.

(A 6'4", 215 pound dude collapsed on my knee from the side, causing the new rupture.)

Given that I've already had 3 knee surgeries (tore both ACLs) and ankle surgery after tearing my Achilles, I'm seriously considering going with the non-surgical option this time.

Now that I'm 36 with a kid, I very rarely have time to play basketball any more, and Mother Nature seems to be sending me a message with all the injuries I've had in recent years. Just not sure it's worth the operation and rehab at this point in my life if I don't play basketball on a regular basis.

So my question is, has anyone else on the board ever torn their ACL and chosen not to have the reconstructive surgery? If so, how has not having an ACL in that knee affected your quality of life? Do you ever play sports with an ACL brace?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't completely torn my ACL's but I have damaged them. I was given the option of surgery but haven't done it and chose to do a lot of physical therapy and while my knees will never be 100% they are OK enough to allow me to continue to do martial arts, ski and play basketball. I have the same situation with my right shoulder, which has pretty much ended competing in martial arts. I was told that if I was really serious about competing and at a high level I probably should get my shoulder and knees worked, and a few other things, but otherwise it was better to do physical therapy as there are some risks to surgery. I still may end up getting surgery at some point if things deteriorate to the point where I can't do things but for now I'm OK.

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I'm 37 and partially tore the ACL in my left knee in 1990. It was brutally painful at the time, but I had no insurance and was a very broke college student. The pain gradually went away and the stiffness and weakness did too. After about 6 months, I barely noticed it in my day-to-day life. At the time I was just getting back to being able to skate(board) everyday after a shattered femur injury in 1986. I never got on a ramp (or skatepark) again after the ACL injury.
    Riding a bike came back quickly. Basketball was never the same. Running, essentially, became impossible. The impact, not the strain, is what makes it difficult/painful. I try to go on a snowboarding trip once a year. I can usually ride fine for a couple of hours. After that, the soreness and throbbing become a nuisance. There is a weakness to my knee that I notice (after exerting energy like snowboarding or bikeriding) for which my muscles seem to try and overcompensate. It works, but not for long.
    Several times over the years I've considered going in for a rebuild. However, after watching several friends go through the rehab, I can't ever seem to motivate myself to do it.
    Again, this is a partially-torn ACL. If you have a fully-torn ACL, don't listen to anything I've said.
    Good luck. Live goes on.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You will be able to live a normal life w/o pain. You won't be able to play sports again. Rehab will help you build the muscle around the knee so that you can keep the flexibility. Forget basketball, though.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Get it repaired. You may choose to stop playing basketball, but exercise is still very important for your health. Unless you plan on sitting on a couch for the rest of your life, I'd advise you to repair the ACL.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

agreed.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You can still exercise just fine. Riding a bike and lifting weights are not out of the question at all. Running may come with time. I have a friend who basically has no tendon at all in his knee and he can run a few miles a day no problem. You just can't play sports any more.

8. wrath_of_khan

Thanks for the response, everyone. I'll post more later, but I wanted to mention a few things:

I was told that any exercise/sports that do not involve cutting and pivoting are fine (i.e. running, cycling, elliptical machine, etc.) Only problem is that I find all of that stuff boring as hell. :(

Futants, I hear what you're saying about it not being the same playing hoops. After my most recent surgery (the Achilles repair), I've been incredibly frustrated playing basketball -- can't jump or cut as fast as I used to. I can only imagine how crappy I'll be after yet another operation, so I doubt I'd be playing regularly anymore anyway.

More later -- I"ve got some follow-up questions for y'all...

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

You should get your knee fixed. You may not play basketball anymore, but there may be time that you need to react or run or whatever and you will need your knee to hold up.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

True, riding a bike is doable.

However, running is not quite that easy. In fact, over time, it may be possible to run comfortably on a treadmill (straight line)...however, running outdoors which involves turns and obstacles will be quite difficult. Its just not worth it to leave it untouched. Its much more of a hassle to not get it fixed than it is to repair and rehab it.

11. wrath_of_khan

Futants -- did you get an ACL brace to wear for sports/snowboarding/etc? If so, what do you think of it?

leroy420/rezdawg -- Do either of you guys have personal experience with this? Just curious, because I'm interested to hear more stories like futants and rocketsjudoka.

I am concerned about the impact of running outside and not in a controlled environment like a treadmill/track. I'm going to be rehabbing it for the next two months before deciding about the surgery, so I can test it out then.

By the way, ever since they drained fluid from it, it really hasn't been that painful or stiff. I even mowed the lawn this weekend! :D

p.s. rocketsjudoka -- Go Bears!

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A good friend of mine went about 5-6 years without the surgery just wearing a big brace, but eventually he had to get the surgery. You risk really destroying your knee without the surgery or wearing a brace -- one awkward step off a curb or stairs (etc.) and it's big trouble.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

No, I've never worn a brace. I've always been hesitant to wear something like that while exerting myself in any way. I'd rather blow my knee out completely than break my femur again. Snowboarding has the potential to completely ruin your life. It sure is fun, though...