1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone been to Paris or Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rock, Aug 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rock

rock Member

Hello everyone,

I'm leaving on Tuesday to go to Paris and Friday I'll be in Amsterdam. For those of you who have been to either place, what were your experiences? I've never been to either place so I'm really hyped up about this trip. Actually, this is my first time going to EUROPE period! Tell me your stories!

Also, if you live in either place, your input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Fatty FatBastard

So, you like to smoke pot, eh?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Architecturally speaking, Paris and Amsterdam are 2 of the finest cities in the world. Paris for its avenues of buildings and Amsterdam for its maze of canals and bridges. Paris is especially scenic at night when everything is lit up.

If you can post again on what your tastes are as far as eating, sightseeing, shopping, etc....I can sort of recommend some places for each. Also, the poster 'arno_ed' lives in Holland, so perhaps he would be able to guide you with some good suggestions.

4. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

i studied abroad in paris this summer and got a chance to visit amsterdam.

Paris: go see La Basilique du Sacré Coeur de Montmartre...beautiful building and cool area. Eiffel tower...ehh kinda lame as expected. L'Arc de Triomphe is definitely a sight to see, as well as the walk down the Champs-Elyssés. If you are a museum buff, Le Louvre is definitely for you....I hated it though. Had to get out after two hours...just really not into that stuff. Notre Dame Cathedral was nice, and that whole area around it and Hotel de Ville is pretty cool to just walk around. For night life, check out the Latin Quarter or the area near Moulin Rouge. Don't actually goto the Moulin Rouge; I heard it's boring and pricey (~100 euros).

Amsterdam: Heineken Brewery is a must if you love beer. The beers are quite tasty being fresh from the brewery. I found the Anne Frank house to be one of the most interesting places I saw all summer...perhaps cuz I actually read the book in high school. I got a chance to see a comedy show called Boomtown Chicago with actual Chicago improv ppl speaking english. It was in the model of Second City if you've been in Chi-town. I had a lot of fun, and I think I actually enjoyed it more than Second City. I thought the Van Gogh museum was weak, but then again, I've realized I hate art.

The above suggestions are pretty much what every 20 something Euro-backpacker does. Have a great time...I want to go back already.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

:D

I'm not a big fan of Van Gogh myself either, but the 'De Nieuwe Kerk' museum was great both times I visited.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If you are staying in Paris, you'll no doubt be able to walk to some really cool places. But there is so much to do you won't have a prayer to see much in 4 days. But don't worry...relax and have a good time.

My favorite strategy while traveling is to pick one or two "must see" things per day. Then I take my time getting there so I can explore lessor known but just as interesting things along the way. Some of my most memorable moments while traveling was not the tourist attractions...but instead that little tiny restaurant with a great view with nice people. If you're in a hurry to get to every tourist trap, you'll miss that experience.

Some destinations I set were:
    Tour Eiffel
    Moulin Rouge
    Musée d'Orsay
    Arc de Triomphe
    Musée du Louvre

By walking to see just these five places, I saw so many other things along the way. It was really great!

3 HINTs:

1. Take good walking shoes and lightweight comfortable cloths.

2. Don't take much money with you. You definately don't need travelers checks...they are a pain in the ass. Take one ATM card and one credit card. When you get there, withdrawal money from an ATM. That'll ensure you get the best possible exchange rate. And withdrawal money as you need it. No need to carry a wad of cash in case you lose it or get pick pocketed. Oh, and don't carry your ATM/Visa in your wallet. Put it somewhere else on your body.

3. You don't need a car. Just walk, take taxi's and subway. Rental cars are a pain in the ass. Driving sucks and parking sucks even more. ...and cars and parking is super expensive.

I'm sure you knew all that but those are 3 common mistakes first timers make.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

rock, I am sure you will have a great time. Paris and Amsterdam are two of the greatest cities in the world. I see you already got some great advice. I think you will love your first taste of Europe :).

Do you have a hotel already? If not, I might have some recommendations, if you give a hint as to the category/preferences you are looking at. What do you like to do/see?

If you are tired from walking around Paris, there is a nice café on top of the Galeries Lafayette where they have some recliners - nice place to chill out when your feet are tired.

Regarding krosfyah's advice of the "good walking shoes" - I can always recognize Americans in Europe because for some reason, they wear bleached jeans and tennis shoes a lot. If you do not immediately want to stand out as an American, you might not want to have that particular look (then again, Paris and Amsterdam are so huge and international that nobody really cares).

Are you single? Then there might be some other places in Paris and Amsterdam which you might like :D.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I bet you'll see some cool trees...

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That's very true. Shorts also. I found that Parisians don't ever where shorts. So the Americans either have on blue jeans or shorts. If you want to blend in a little bit, there is a store in Rice Villiage (assuming your from Houston) called Eurpean Walking Shoes. They have lots of comfortable shoes that are NOT tennis shoes. Not from Houston? Cole Haan (sp?) also has a joint Nike/Cole Haan line that are little more dressy but just as comfy as any sneaks.

Or if you don't care, just go for the traditional American fare of tennis shoes and jeans/shorts. :)

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been to Both...Paris was beautiful, but had a bachelor party in Amsterdam....uh....nuff said.

:D

DD

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yep!

I can often recognize Italians because of their "invicta" brand backpacks...

For some reason, I can often also recognize Germans abroad...certain strange clothing style, I can't really describe it. Birkenstock sandals...ugh.

12. rock

rock Member

]

Not too picky when it comes to eating and shopping, but as far as sightseeing... my hotel should be in close proximity to the L'Arc de Triomphe. Just reading through the thread, it looks there are plenty of places to go within walking distance. I think since this is my first visit there, I am going to focus on seeing all the major historical/architectural attractions.

I'm not too concerned with blending in with the French. :eek:) May not wear shorts, but jeans are definitely in.

KingCheetah, I will be on the lookout for any cool trees. I'll try to get some pictures.

Sir Jackie Chiles, affirmative on being single. Hopefully I will not encounter too many unshaven women...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will have a nice list of things to check out by Tuesday!

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

And I can recognize the Brits by their mid-afternoon drunken stupor ;)

Anyways, the Parisians get a bad rep about being especially rude to American tourists. But I've found that if you just smile a lot, try to speak a little French with them, and generally be courteous that they will warm up to you quickly. Say 'bonjour' when you walk into a store or restaurant and 'merci, au revoir' when leaving. And just like in the States, don't wear shorts into fine stores or restaurants. That being said, the Latin Quarter area and Montmarte are a lot more casual and laidback than most other parts of Paris and you can pretty much go as you wish.

I found people in Amsterdam to be very easy going and without pretension. If it is warm enough, you could probably get away with walking around in swimming trunks all day over there! It's also a plus, that most ppl there speak very good English.

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, the Italians and their backpacks. What a treasure.

Don't go to Montmartre at night. Unless you want to be surrounded by old Germans. 120 years ago Montmartre was cool. Now it is just dumb.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What's wrong with that :D.

rock, when you are in Amsterdam, walk around the Red Light District...you'll be amazed... probably even shocked... they have a special kind of "window shopping" there...

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

You can take a small trip from Paris and go to Monet's gardens and check that out. It's stunningly beautiful and if you're into art at all, then it's obviously quite the landmark.

18. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I always tell people that before you go to Europe, you MUST take this quiz.

It is an invaluable tool that will help you steer clear of some potentially awkward situations.

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im going to amsterdam and germany in december. just bought plane tickets yesterday. this will be my first trip to europe too.

i heard pot was legal in amsterdam. cant wait to see the van gogh museum. pot is legal im amsterdam. i heard there is a museum w/ a bunch of medieval torture devices too. i also heard pot is legal there.

a couple days in amsterdam, but i plan on doing most of my traveling thru germany.

ive heard bruges, belgium is really cool. anyone been?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I grew up not far from it. It's nice, but if it's your first trip to Europe, I think there are plenty of other places which are more worth visiting. By the way, you didn't really choose the best time of year to visit Holland and Germany...weather might be nasty.