1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Anybody here buy physical gold or silver?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Sep 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Always been wanting to buy the physical kind just never understood why buy physical with a premium when you can buy slv or gold without a premium. Today piqued my interest with silver down 5%

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get all of mine from buried chests.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Risky seeing that you are buying something that is valued against itself. Money is atleast valued against other currency. Gold was like what $1500-1600 6 months ago? Now what is it, $1300. Lost 2% today alone.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly like that! lol

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Thread is a trap as OP is looking to rob people

Danger danger

7. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

you can't look at gold or silver like that. gold and silver are real money.

- pretend you open a vault from an ancient egyptian tomb and it has gold and whatever currency they used at the time.....what has more value today? Gold and silver are real money and at the rate we're printing money and devaluing the dollar I wish all my money was in gold or silver. I read somewhere that since the FED has come into existence $1 is now worth .03 today and the value of gold is many many many times higher

I'm not a tinfoil hat guy, but our dollars are pretty useless and we keep printing, silver and gold will rise....

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sounds like someone who just learned about No-Limit Hold 'Em.

10. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

ok so mock me pouhe....do tell what happens to the value of our dollar over time? Just checked, silver was $5 20 years ago and is up 400% to $21 today meanwhile a $100k in cash in 1993 isn't worth $400k today.....so care to validate your argument?

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Yes, I've heavily invested in Gold, which I've buried in several different locations around Houston.

Or have I?

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

The insides of my mouth is filled with them. You only notice when I smile or eat.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ask yourself why is it that you want to own physical gold. Is it because you think it is going up or that your dollars are devaluing? If that's the case then buying GLD or SLV is fine. Or are you trying to put away some of your wealth in safekeeping for years, or even generations to come? If that is the case, do you think millennias from now when people open up your ancient tomb those couple of shares of GLD will be worth anything? Those are the instances you buy physical.

Dollars are not useless. They are currency and our medium of exchange. You are going to have a troublesome time bringing a gold nugget to McDonalds trying to buy a Big Mac.

Yes, fiat currencies will devalue over time, meaning gold, and other physical assets are guaranteed to eventually go higher and higher. Which is why it is prudent to have some saving in precious metals. But until we are grocery shopping with wheel barrels of cash, I'm still going to keep some dollars to pay my bills and eat and such.

14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

No only virtual ones.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

But to answer your question, I hold roughly a quarter of my net assets in allocated bullion. And contribute about 5% of my paycheck to it every month. It is savings. The reason why I buy physical is because, as savings, I have zero interest in taking on ANY counter party risk whatsoever, regardless of how negligible. And the only things in the world guaranteed without counter party risks is physical holdings, not paper receipts like GLD/SLV.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What price did silver hit back in 2011 (2 years ago)?

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There are assets more profitable than cash holdings and less volatile than gold or silver. For good reason our central bank makes an earnest effort to minimize excessive inflation or deflation.

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Is there any truth to the idea that gold is a good hedge against a spider?

19. Asian Sensation

I only buy unphysical ones.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I invest in physical chocolate and silk stockings. I have piles of it in my underground sealed bachelor pad. If we learned anything from Hogan's Heroes, when the apocalypse comes gold won't mean jack **** vs my stash of chocolates and silk undies

So yeah, I'm invested heavily in the future

#20 heypartner, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013