1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have acreage?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, May 23, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm guessing lots here do.

So I have some questions.

As I posted in another thread, I just bought a house on 16 acres that I am due to move into in July. There's a ten or fifteen acre lake that borders my property (and is owned by the township) that I may or may not be able to fish. I'm extremely excited.

My questions is:

The back 12 acres or so is open field and a little farm land. I may farm on it but probably not right away. I may end up with chickens and goats or pigs. Not sure. I get a lot of snow where I am.

What should I use as a set up, cheaper the better, the maintain the property? I'm talking mowing and snow plowing.

I want to just get an ATV with a wide mower and plow attachment. My dad says I need a small tractor. ATV is much cheaper and can be much more fun to putz around he property in, so this is what I want. Just don't know if I should look for a used tractor more comparable in price instead.

Any advice? What do you run?

Thanks.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the small tractor will be more versatile. You can plow with it, use a brush hog off the pto, put a mower deck underneath if you want, get an augur for post hole digging, use the bucket for moving everthing from rocks to stumps. If you're going to spend money, spend it on something more versatile. The get a used ATV for fun a year or two down the line.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

All I can say is that the ingredients to make 'tannerite" in bulk can cheaply be found on Amazon.com. Thank me later.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Get a small John Deere utility tractor, you'll use it for everything. A certified used one will save you some money, and you can usually pick up the attachments used as well. Since it sounds like you'll be in a place that snows, you can add a cab option with a heater.

5. body slam

body slam Member

Get a tractor. John Deere is great but you are paying for the color. With the snow you might want to consider 4 wheel drive.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

throw some cows out there and let them do the work. But in the long run, it would probably be best to invest in a little tractor. Eventually, you will need both (atv and tractor)

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Exiled

Exiled Member

ironplanet dot com
    Purchased a few heavy machinery from them based on their inspection reports which was fairly accurate ,worth the wait when they've mega auction