1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody else find it refreshing the FIRE AND PASSION Mike D'Antoni shows on the sidelines

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Nov 3, 2016.

1. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

compared to our previous coaches. McHale was always sitting down chewing gum, JBB was more of a cheerleader than a coach and a manager of personalities. Mike just gets it and I think his passion rubs off on the team especially Harden. It makes them want to play harder. In the past it was Harden playing and leading us to wins on his talent alone( which is amazing in itself), now he is finally getting great coaching. I mean I knew James was a great passer, but he is looking like a Steve Nash level passer out there, the pass to Harrell last night, I think late in the 3rd that made it 88-70 was SICK.

I also like how he wont pull the young guys( Mcdaniels, Dekker) for making a mistake like our previous coaches would. Mike knows the importance of developing young talent. Who knows how much better dmo could have been if he were developed by mda instead of mcfail

Too me it feels like D'antoni and Harden are getting vindicated, for years people like stephen a smith, and colin cowherd have called mike a terrible coach. And up until recently people have called Harden selfish, a cancer, and a guy who could never make his teammates better( dwight). It feels like to me they are enjoying helping each other destroy myths/lies about one another, and their is a trust factor there that Harden has not had before with other coaches. Not even with Scott Brooks. Dont discount John Lucas being apart of the rockets staff either(great addition to the team).

Am i the only one that notices this

#1 HardenTime, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

as opposed to the "start the season 0-3? whatevs. down by 30 again? whatevs. omg did kj just miss a shot? GET THE **** OUTTA HERE b****! GET OUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOW! BREWER, YOU'RE IN!"

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

[​IMG]

4. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Pringles is passionate but very emotional both ways. He gets down and manic depressed when his team is in a funk too.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Source/evidence?

6. DJ

DJ Member

I noticed too. Reminiscent of Rudy T

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is ok when things are going good and he will be devastated when things are falling apart, when he was in Denver, in LA and in New York.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Damn, when was mda in denver? i must have forgotten that part of history? was it during the iverson-melo era after phoenix?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

first station of his NBA career - started his career with Italian ballclubs

I knew he was in Denver, George Karl junior

BTW I love this edit button - cannot say it enough

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is what Texans fans were saying about Bill O'Brien vs. Kubiak...

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Glad you brought it up because YES. I like seeing him jump up and yell. Yell at our guys. Yell at the refs. I think one time I did some lipreading and he was yelling "PLAY SOME F***KING BASKETBALL! PICK UP THE PACE!"

And he is very quick to chew into the ass of a ref to defend our guys, like when Prigs took some cheap shots in the preseason, or when Bogut tried to decapitate Ryan Anderson. My opinion goes way up on him when he has the back of our players like that. And yet somehow, he's able to do his lit as hell crazy yelling without getting a technical. He goes full tilt but while staying in bounds. (knock on wood)

I like how Jeff Bzdelik can also be seen often flying around on the sideline waving his arms this way and that way, pointing things out and being very vocal.

Remlap, D-rock, Batman Jones and 2 others like this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I said at the very start that this would be a big time upgrade over the clueless idiots McFail and BJ. McFail was the worst Rockets head coach in history. He absolutely showed no passion or fire. didn't stand up for his players. He was just a babbling moron. And BJ being his understudy for several years was no better.

Glad to finally have a real coach and a real offensive system. First time since Rick Adelman left that I can confidently say we have a coach who knows how to coach and not just a sideline 'clap clap" "play harder" guy

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We had a thread just like this except about JB.

hakeem94 and macho GRANDE like this.
  14. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

U alright bro?

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a weird eminem gif and now this. those are some weird reactions. of course im ok. mda has the sense to give kj some burn and kj is doing fine in his role. if kj keeps this up, hopefully coach realizes ariza has played superstar minutes for two straight years, and kj can relieve him of that. kj and dekker. we gotta coach that doesnt let players rot on the bench and give them a chance to prove themselvs. even the shtty ones like pennis and brown. we got brain cells in the coaching staff!

rolyat93 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Good read. Now eat some breakfast

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's weird is I thought Jennings and Harden were friends. Both from Compton and I know Jennings has spoken out in defense of Harden before.

HardenTime and ilovehtownbb like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

D'Antoni has an ability to design plays far beyond any of the Rockets past coaches. He knows which players will fit into his philosophy and knows his system better than anyone, he also can make adjustments extremely well. The problem resides with D'Antoni the person. He is emotionally a roller coaster of highs and lows. He can be very arrogant when his teams are doing well. When things go bad, he destroys chemistry and causes a generally toxic situation.

Ultimately D'Antoni is going to crash and burn based on his track record, but enjoy the ride and hope that at 65 years old he has finally learned some humility....... but it doesn't sound like it based on his comments to the NY media.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Friends can have arguments. Seems like it was an in the moment thing and Harden and D'Antoni's troll game was strong, nothing to see

20. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I'm good with any coach that holds their players accountable. D'Antoni seems like he does. I also like when Jennings started jawing at Harden and D'Antoni gave him a few words.

Fire and passion is something this team has needed for a while. Especially with Bev out.

SF3isBack!!, roslolian and rustyrob like this.