1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody Else Cringe At the Thought of Home Games on National TV?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PigMiller, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've had League Pass for several years and have watched damn near every game every season. I certainly can tell the difference between watching the games when the Toy Box is packed and jumpin', and when it's seems to be half empty. A full stadium of cheering fans has to help the team. I've always believed that. The guys feed off the energy.

DudeWah likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, and even when watching, I enjoy the game more in the 4th Q when the fans are on their feet in a full stadium. So, yeah, I call BS on the people in this thread just posting to be a contrarian or to be in denial... "It affects me not one iota" yeah, right.

DonKnock and DudeWah like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Those seats are sold....people just stay in the lounge above the lower bowl. People need to stop worrying about what other people nationally think. Who gives a damn? More important things in life.

4. Fantasma Negro

They should raffle off those seats throughout the game, if they aren't filled by the start of the third quarter someone in 400 should get them imo

DonKnock and Deckard like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

when the home team you're watching is playing at home and not getting the full home court advantage they would probably like, I give a damn that's for damn sure

Deckard, DudeWah and PigMiller like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

they've given upgrades to upper bowl ticket buyers before at random. They have staff walk around the upper level asking people in line at the concessions etc, if they would like to move down to the lower level seats. Exchange your 400 section seat for one in the 100s right then and there. Done

7. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

They don't want us to win

( khaled voice)

DonKnock likes this.
  8. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Btw, was there ever an explanation as to why game times went from 7:30 to 7?

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was part of the Rockets Fan Council when this topic came up. Wasn't an issue until the move downtown into Toyota Center. They did put out a survey, and the fans did back it.

Most people liked leaving earlier than arriving later. Having games ending earlier was the main attraction. And don't more than half the teams do it this way? I also recall part of the debate being about season-ticketholder working downtown. The thinking was people could stay downtown, eat at the game (or out somewhere else) then go to the game. There was superficially a theory about accommodating downtown ticket holders, masked in the attempt to get more people to eat dinner at Toyota Center.

It still took a few years before they implemented it. The survey was not the sole deciding factor.

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Better yet. Just let people move down freely by the 3qrt or something

11. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Also...knowing that this is the scene every night, why the hell would you choose a random Tuesday night against the Magic (the 95 Finals link notwithstanding) to honor your franchise's best player of all time? Seems like a little bit of a slap in the face to Dream.

Why not a weekend matchup against a contender instead?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The common sense solution would be to move the tip off to 8pm central time.

Not sure whose decision it was to do 7pm tip offs during week days for a central time zone team but that person needs to go die in a fire I think.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Maybe if they started the game at 7:30 instead of 7, they would allow the fans more time to feed their faces in the lexus lounge and get into their seats on time. just a thought.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

There was some context with the Magic with the Rockets beating that team for their 2nd championship. I think a bigger factor would be that it would be more of a slap in the face if the Rockets lose on the night where their honor the franchise's best player.

tinman likes this.
  15. alethios

alethios Member

Has anyone heard feedback from the players about the lack of crowd support? It bothers me - I know it bothers them.

DudeWah likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's been brought up on a number of occasions on those rare nights where TC is louder than usual due to a bigger game, playoffs, or whatever the case may be for that night. Players will comment postgame, just mentioning we need TC to be loud like that every night. Without question they notice

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I think it's more just a symptom of American sports in general. Even if we were to finish with the league's best record, nobody cares. Championship or bust! I'm happy to go to a few regular season games a year and actually lend my voice. But the system dictates that the only thing that matters is the playoffs. So Les makes his money with the corporate seats that are largely empty for most of the game. And yes, it does look bad on TV and in person. Yes it annoys and embarrasses me. BUT - Les is a good owner that runs a good franchise. I am happy to have him as our owner. Go Rockets!

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is it exciting and exhilarating to me with a packed house and/or enthusiastic crowd at a game - sure. Is it embarassing and bothersome to me if the crowd is sparse and lifeless - not at all.

To hear someone is embarrassed is just weird to me. Why the crowd or the performance of the team would ever embarrass someone (not affiliated with the team) is just odd to me. There are games when a team should be embarrassed by their performance, but their performance has no bearing on embarrassing me and if the team is a laughingstock due to their performance (e.g. the Oilers vs. Bills) again, that's on the team, not me as a fan.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, this is coming from someone who moved from Houston to Austin 35+ years ago, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt, but I feel connected to this team, and after living in Austin for so long, the team helps to keep me connected to that part of living in Houston, the sports part. So when I'm feeling Rockets, I'm feeling Houston. That might not make sense to most of you, but it makes sense to me. Anyway, when I see the Rockets, I'm experiencing more than the Rockets playing whomever. I'm experiencing something I grew up with. Houston sports. Houston basketball. Being a part of Houston. The Rockets give me that, and it means a lot to me.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Victorious

Victorious Member

I hate the 7pm start time. What was the reasoning behind it?