1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any idea why Rockets have been playing bad lately but played well before the losing streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Has this Rockets team already disappointed you?

1. Yes, this team needs some change soon.

45.1%
  2. No, I will give this team some time to regroup and learn together.

45.1%
  3. Don't care. Already looking foward to next season.

9.8%
  1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

This team is so weird I ever seen this year. They were ups and downs. Few weeks ago I thought Rockets were going to make playoff because they have been scoring like a machine but another weeks they were horrible like they could even beaten by middle school team. Rockets had a lot of turnovers. This team needs to have mental killer in order to be consistent. I would blame McHale for not coaching aggressively enough.

Once again, Rockets make me a doubter just like last three years. I am not even sure they can make playoff this year. There's not lot that I can trust. I am already disappointed because I had high expectations going into this season.

Any other idea why this occurred? I really hope they turn around soon but I don't think that's likely unless they make good trades.

Come on Rockets!

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The team might be tanking under orders. Lin doesn't like it.

3. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Back to back 4 games in 5 days can do that to you. Probably should have done a "Popovich" in the middle of those 4 in 5 so they can keep the pace up for the games we are trying to win (minus 1) instead of conserving energy and trying to compete in all those games.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Anderson and Patrick Beverley are at fault. The team turned to crap after we gave up Machado and Cook for these two scrubs.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You may be on to something.

6. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

7. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Other teams are getting back in transition and keying on Harden ISO. Adjustments need to be made (Like getting a new coach).

8. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Its really simple. This team is just too young, inexperience, and not talented enough. All of these guys came from smaller roles and now having to fill much bigger roles. Plus, they just hit a wall right now. Similar to a rookie wall.

Usually coaches in the NBA adjust to different styles and game plan. Apparently the Rockets coaching staff have not adjusted when other teams have. Its a painful process but they are still learning. Harden is learning to be the leader, star, foundational player etc, Lin is learning to play alongside Harden and being a full time PG with a lot of responsibility.

9. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

To me, the rest of the team's confidence seems so fragile simply because harden continues to dominate the ball. This is similar, thought not identical, to what happened with Lebron in cleveland. Lebron's level of domination was so high that team was simply incapable of making plays if he wasn't a 120% every night. Some people do argue that Lebron didn't have enough talent, but going into his last years in cleveland, Lebron had a huge amount of great role players(shaq,jamison, mo williams, varejao, delonte west etc) and they did win 60+ games for 2 seasons. However, the team's dependency on Lebron was exploited constantly in the playoffs, simply because throughout the season, most guys didn't develop that necessary confidence and team cohesiveness that would be necessary to win big games in the playoffs and make big plays without Lebron. I dont think Harden could dominate as much as Lebron did, but to simply had him the keys to the offense is like giving the main weapon on our team only one spot from which to attack, its just too easy to layout an effective defensive strategy against the rockets, and good teams will exploit this hole endlessly. thus, i will continue to preach what i think is the solution, give lin the reins to the offense(his confidence is what is damaged, not his game), let harden play off the ball more, and bam!, we instantly become a very unpredictable and explosive team(its not going to be that fast, but it will work eventually)

as for the inconsistency, that can be attributed to a slightly tough schedule as of late, a lot of guys hitting physical walls b/c they've never played so many minutes, and a team defense that has always been weak but is now more obvious because our offense is tired and in a bit of a shooting slump

though people might look on this recent slump as a bad thing, it could potentially great that we lose a couple games because our the weaknesses that were masked by our 120+ point games are finally starting to surface and its becoming much more clearer to the coaching staff what needs to be done to get better. As what Scott Brooks said a few years ago about how OKC struggled before becoming a contender, "We weren't losing, we were learning how to win"

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Couple of things:

1 - the team is facing some teams that have flat-out great coaches. Doc Rivers, Monty Williams, Rick Carlisle, George Karl.

2 - the team is playing some squads that are flat-out better like LAC, DEN, IND

3 - we don't have enough play-makers or knock down shooters on offense to keep up the torrid pace we were on back in December / early January.

4 - two series' of 4 games in 5 nights over the last few weeks, 10 games in the last 15 days overall.

Combine that with the fact that teams lose occasionally no matter the opponent and you have a sizable 'bad streak.'

11. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I really don't understand this. The coach can't go out there and make shots for guys. The coach can't go out and play defense. Lin, Parsons, Delfino, Patterson are all bricking shots. The team is not playing hard on defense. The team is not paying attention to the shot clock. etc. No, McHale's not the best coach in the league, but hey, there is a lot worse (VDN, MDA, Mike Woodson, Larry Drew, Mike Dunlap, Keith Smart, Randy Wittman, the list goes on). Where were all of you 'fire McHale' people during the past two 5-game winning streaks?

12. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Team defense is mostly effort and communication. It's the fault of the coach if his players are not hustling or commnicating. The offense which was so great when they could run is having to play in the half court because other teams are getting back faster. Obviously they're also keying on Harden by double and triple teaming him which is killing the half court offense. That should free up other players but it doesn't because the ball is not moved quickly enough. The team also leads the league in turnovers because their point guards stand in the corner and don't handle the ball enough. True the coaches can't catch the ball for Asik or shoot three's for Lin but they have a vital role and are failing at it.

13. rocketblood713

I bet people gonna say the coach Mchale but lets not forget Rockets went on that winning streak when he came back ...

14. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Did we go on a losing streak after losing Brian Cook as well?

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We lost 4 out of 5 immediately after waiving him.

16. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

What this losing streak has do anything with Dequean Cook?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

DC is 3pt shooting champion. HOU struggles with shooting during losing streak. Enough said.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's all solved

we need a cook on the team to win

Morey You dun Goofed

19. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I don't understand why Rockets sent Terrence Jones to D-leagues too many times. Lin should be sent to D-League to practice his shooting and reduce turnovers. We could have used him and this losing streak would not have happened if he played significant minutes.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Turbulence.