1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Children of Bodom/Heavy Metal fans or guitarists out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by metalshred, Jun 13, 2014.

1. metalshred

metalshred Member

No one listens to metal nowadays haha!

Anyway, recently I've been practising a new Children of Bodom song on guitar, the other day I recorded this short clip which contains the main riffs in the song. The two guitars have been recorded separately using a Gibson Les Paul Standard. For those of you who love heavy metal, this is an amazing song!

Hope you like it!

http://youtu.be/pL_DutuOnlc

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pL_DutuOnlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh and for those who like Guns 'n' Roses, please check out my cover of Sweet Child of Mine below: *shamelessly posting my video;)*

http://youtu.be/pL_DutuOnlc

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yfrDzWQk3iM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haha cheers guys!

MS

1 person likes this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

do you know any carpathian forest?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not a guitarist, but I was a fan of the first four albums by Children of Bodom. Are You Dead Yet was not my kind of metal.

Good work on the cover. Sounds great to me.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Haha I had a COB faze in like 5th grade

5. Warheart

Warheart Member

that was pretty good here is an old video of mine
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XO702RhCAwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

great job on the solo, played for 4 years and was never near that good.

7. metalshred

metalshred Member

That is an amazing cover! I love the quality of the recording.

How did you record the audio?

8. metalshred

metalshred Member

Nope. I'm not familiar with this band. Any suggestion for their songs?

9. metalshred

metalshred Member

Thanks!

I like their earlier albums the most too. I actually don't mind 'Are You Dead Yet', but 'Halo of Blood' is the album which is taking time for me to develop feeling towards.

10. Warheart

Warheart Member

i used an old line 6 floor pod, not recommended. now i just my peavey 6505+ w/tubescreamer but havent got to any full song recordings for a few years

11. metalshred

metalshred Member

I used POD 2.0 in recording this clip. The sound that comes out of it from the amp is okay, but I can't seem to record a good tone when directly plugging into the laptop through garage band.

I know in order to get the best tone we probably need an external recording mic like Shure, but I thought POD was designed to record directly into the software.

Any suggestions for recording better quality sound? Also, does peavy + tube screamer significantly improve your tone? For both high gain and cleans?

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Really enjoyed your "Fade to Black" cover!

Of course, my love for Metallica may have made me biased ;)

13. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what is considered "metal" anymore. I grew up on Priest, Maiden and Sabbath. I also enjoyed Dio in all his band and early (Randy Rhoades) Ozzy.

As I got older I started listening to different bands that were definitely not metal but all still rock oriented. Later I discovered a band called Avenged Sevenfold and thought they picked up the traditions and sound of Maiden and Sabbath (long songs, cheesy but fun occult themes, heavy guitar but very melodic at the same time) only to be told that they aren't very "metal". But they apparently started off "metal" but later stopped being "metal" because they stopped screaming and started singing?

Apparently you have to scream tunelessy to be metal? is there a thing now with young people that bands have to all try to "out hardcore" and "out metal" each other and only the loudest, most extreme, and heaviest count?

14. Warheart

Warheart Member

You could go the shure mic way which I probably the best way even though I haven't tried it yet but if not you can also buy a guitar interface and use revalver or amplitube to get some really good tones

And for the peavey/tubescreamer combo it's a pretty well known combo for metal especially for that Swedish Gothenburg tone ie in flames, at the gates . Paired up with some Celestion v30 speakers you can get a really good metal tone. The 6505 isn't known to be a clean savvy amp but you can work your way to a good tone with a chorus and delay pedal. The tubescreamer really just tightens up the sound and makes your tone creamy smooth

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  15. Warheart

Warheart Member

idk even though i dont really listen to avenged sevenfold i still consider them metal there are just so many more sub genres of metal now compared to the glory days in the 80s. people tend to favor one sub genre over another and put down other sub genres in metal. people tend to forget metal is metal. metal has definitely evolved to a more aggressive form and adopted the "scream". i was born in 1990 so i missed growing up when priest and maiden were at their primes but was still lucky enough to grow up listening to them (fyi new priest album in july!!!). i then started to listen to those more extreme metal like children of bodom, in flames, arch enemy, and dimmu borgir, dissection. at first i didnt like the screaming but then came accustomed to it because it fit the music, but i just mainly listen for the orgasmic guitar riffs/solos some of the bands produce

16. jo mama

oh man are your earholes for a treat! i dont know about you, but i like my metal like i like my coffee...black.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V-i_iAowYpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/URrO6aTnmT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

for what it is it sounds pretty good, but if you want to get a better sound you need a separate interface that you can plug mics into - they plug into your computer with USB or firewire. i have a firepod made by a company called presonus.

17. jo mama

brah,

to be perfectly honest i was not really impressed by your rendition of sweet child o' mine. i think you need a bigger challenge...if you learn a carpathian forest song and post a video of yourself playing it in corpse paint i will donate $50 to the tip jar on yours and satans behalf.

18. metalshred

metalshred Member

Haha i think the key here is corpse paint! :grin:

19. metalshred

metalshred Member

The band sounds good!

I heard of firepod. I plan to invest in some recording equipment during the next year. At the moment I'm still using my crappy Orange Crush Pix amp when I practice at home. I'm still trying to ship my old Marshall AVT100 from overseas.

20. jo mama

its all about corpse paint!!! - and my challenge stands to anyone who is evil enough to take it on. i will even open it up and say learn any black metal song and post a video of yourself playing it in corpse paint and i will donate $50 to the tip jar. carpathian forest, gorgoroth, mayhem, satyricon, king diamond, abruptum, darkthrone...your choice!