1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Advice? (Part 2)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bailey, Mar 2, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Well, I've just been reading the thread about someone going to their first Rockets game, and I've been totally inspired. I've got a bonus coming at work, so I thought I'd take a few days off and go on holiday, but I've just had a better idea. I've only ever seen an NBA game on TV, so I was thinking about visiting Houston for a few days, to catch a game. What's it like for places to stay, prices, etc? How easy would it be for me to get a ticket? So many questions! Any comments gratefully received. Oh, and I forgot to mention, feel free to email me.

[This message has been edited by GBRocksFan (edited March 02, 2000).]

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Single tickets are available at the Compaq Center Box office. It's easier to find one seat than two together. Prices start at $11 and go up to $650!!! $25 seats are pretty good. Actually any seat in Compaq is good since it's so small...you can also get tickets through www.ticketmaster.com. There is a service charge but sometimes its worth it. I personally would never buy from one of those "ticket agencies" (read scalper) I'd rather pay a small service charge than double the ticket price from a ticket company/scalper.

Places to stay... well there are alot. But the closes to the Compaq Center would be an upscale place right next door called the Renaissance Hotel.. there's also a La Quinta and an extended stay place pretty close to the summit... Try www.expedia.com for hotels in the Houston area.

There's a lot of touristy things to do as well here in Houston. Plenty of great museums, The Galleria, NASA, etc, etc.. you can go to citysearch.com and look up Houston.

I think games are FUN to go to. When you come to Houston, I hope you enjoy your stay and have a great time and I hope the Rockets win!!!!

Good Luck
    Happy Travelin'
    rockHEAD

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

GBRF,

I hope you know someone in the city to show you around. If you are coming in only for a few days all the way from England, you need to make the most of your time here.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

England?

Wow...
    Be sure to hit some local "pubs."
    The Black Lab on Montrose, The Ale House on Alabama, Cecil's on W. Gray, Rudyards on Waugh. I know there's more, those are just off the top of my HEAD.

If you do come, let me know maybe we can "hook up" or get together.. .maybe we can get a group from the BBS together and have a pint or two?

Once again, I hope you enjoy your stay if you come...

rockHEAD

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

England????

You definitely need to go to Mcgonigels Mucky Duck on Norfolk (just a mile or two from Compaq Center)for some great live music and an awesome selection of draft beer.

www.mcgonigels.com

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Rockhead,
    you forgot The Richmond Arms.

I drank a pint with Robert Reid there once
    ;-)

-Deji-

7. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I love it though, an English guy says he's coming into town, and 90% of the comments are about where to drink! [​IMG] Mind you, that's the advice that I need! I've checked on the flights, which aren't too expensive, and I think it'll be the Sonics game (16th April). There's two questions I have though. Should I spend a bit more money to get a good ticket? It seems that if I'm only in town for five days, I'm only going to see one game, I feel I ought to spend some money to get a decent ticket. Oh, and when it comes to hotels, which area of town would be best situated for touristy stuff / watching the game? I don't want to be stuck miles and miles from everywhere (but I don't want to spend too much on a fancy hotel either, it's only a room to stay in). Thanks in advance, Paul.

[This message has been edited by GBRocksFan (edited March 03, 2000).]

8. G-man

G-man Member

We welcome you to Houston!

On the price of the tickets to the game, I wouldn't spend over 60-75 bucks per ticket. It depends on your budget. Since the dollar can't buy as much compared to the pound, you may find it to be fairly inexpensive to get higher priced tickets.

Hotels. You must take a Houstonian's advice here. There are several hotels in an area of town known as the Galleria (recently, Houston has been calling this area Uptown). There are two hotels in the Galleria shopping center itself: The Westin Oaks and the Westin. Either of these would be fine. There's also a Marriott across the street and a couple other major hotels nearby.

The Galleria area is very centrally located. It will take about 5 minutes to get to the Rockets game from there. However, Houston is SOOOOOO spreadout and we don't have a train system here. I would suggest going to NASA, the Museum District, the Battleship Texas (which took part in the D-day invasion in 1944), the San Jacinto Monument (next to the Battleship Texas) which is where Texas won the last battle for its independence from Mexico.

There's also tours of the Houston Ship Channel. It's industrial looking, but it's kind of neat to see the petroleum industry in Houston.

You may consider driving (on the correct side of the road!!! just kidding) to Galveston and spending a half-day at the beach.

Make sure to get some seafood when you come. We don't specialize in things like Maine lobster or Alaskan King Crab, but you must get our shrimp, oysters, crawfish (not actually fish, but you must try it).

Also, there's a restaurant in the Galleria called The Cheesecake Factory. They have gigantic portions and great cheesecake, of course.

God Bless America and God Save the uh... America!!!!! Just joking my pommey friend. Take care.

9. ArmChair Coach

One thing...if you visit Montrose and happen to drop your wallet, kick it along to the next town where it's safe to bend down and pick it up...unless of course, you are like that.

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I can't tell you where to drink or where to stay, but if you're only in Houston for a few days, and this might be your ONLY chance to see the HOUSTON Rockets, shell out the cash bro, shell out the cash.. If this were my only chance, I would not think twice about shelling out $100 to $150 for good seats.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited March 04, 2000).]