1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Davis: Harden not a max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Nov 29, 2012.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You don't understand my point.

There are subsequent games after the first 2 where Lin had primary PG duties. Thus, you can't just take out the first 2 games and draw conclusions from that without taking away all the games where Lin had PG duties.

Just read my previous posts and follow the logic. That's all I'm saying.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

The logic behind the argument is incorrect, but that doesn't mean the point isn't. I think its obvious that Harden's first 2 games have inflated his stats. Its the same argument with LOFS against Lin last year. The first 8 games inflated his stats, after those games he went on a downward trend. The solution? Sample Size. Lets wait until the all star break before we start claiming whether someone is deserving of his contract or not.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Mr.Caveman > Antonio Davis

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think anybody is disputing that.

I think what's being disputed is a poster taking away the first 2 games Harden played and claiming he now shoots 38%.

Anyone with half a brain could see why that's a flawed analysis.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Just curious, if you threw out the top 1 or 2 and bottom 1 or 2 outliers, what would his shooting percentage be? That's not an uncommon statistical method to determine true averages.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

You don't get to cherry pick good games OR bad games to leave out of the sample. You have to look at the whole thing.

This is like high school level statistics knowledge. Get with it.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I said 'emphatically' Harden is 'definitely' worth the max dollars. Read the post.

The post is simply that his shooting numbers were not great if games that he had to play iso offense. That's not his game. Not a PG.

8. nono

nono Member

I think he is deserving of the max contract, considering Eric Gordon got one and Harden is just far better. However, he does sometimes struggle against the better defenses it seems.

9. Rox>Mavs

You do if you're trying to isolate what your truly trying to measure. The assumption being that the outliers are affected by variables unrelated to the factor you're trying measure.

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Yup, it was the first two games Lin primary playmaker (shared with Harden), next 6 games Harden primary playmaker / iso ball, then games after that Lin primary playmaker (shared with Harden).

Look up the stats and even the threads discussing this. Harden AND Lin were both terrible in that six game stretch.

That's the logic.

And for the 3rd time in this thread, Harden is definitely worth the max.

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And in games where Harden played secondary playmaker, with Lin running PG, Harden's stats look like he's perhaps even worth more than the max.

So what you're really trying to measure here, is, how Harden's stats would look like if he was playing in his comfort zone, and not out of position. And he looked infinitely better in his comfort zone. It's not cherry-picking. Cherry-picking would be Harden playing the same role all throughout the first 15 games, and you take out either his best or worst games. If you take out say two of his best and two of his worst together, that could be called adjusting for outliers. But we're not trying to do it that way.

12. Rox>Mavs

And for the record....harden is worth the max NOW.....that's a no brainer

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

ITT:

Lin fans using fallacious arguments to tray and throw Harden under the bus.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are still not following.

I'm not arguing any of that, I'm arguing this.

The .383 number comes from removing Harden's first two games. This is what I'm disputing about.

I believe Harden deserves the max, I don't believe in stupid logic like the one above.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

To flamingdts:

You're arguing for no reason. The entire premise and reason behind anything that guy says can be summed by the following:

<br>
    Actual logic/stats/reasoning don't matter.

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Actually, if you just look at the stats for the first two games + games 9 to 15, for the team, for Harden, on offense, and compare it to games 3 to 8, it does make sense.

And Harden is a phenomenal playmaker for a shooting guard, and is a phenomenal secondary playmaking option. But he is not best utilized by playing PG.

17. just a word

just a word Member

This.

For instance, if anyone considered that last game against OKC (not only back-to-back but attended a funeral earlier that day and then went straight to the arena on so little sleep that guys were napping on the floor) to be a true AVERAGE representation of what anyone on this team can do, then they're cherry-picking as much as that guy was accusing other people for.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What are Antonio's thoughts on Lin's contract? What is Lin shooting this season anyway?

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

antonio davis was not a max either, yet toronto was stupid enough to pay him.

20. EjrRocket11

EjrRocket11 Member

Cowherd is the definition of a typical espn Laker big market kiss ass, I actually used to enjoy listening to him until I realized hes just another steven A smith.. I like how he said Harden went from a championship team to a crap team who wont even make the playoffs.. humm ok still kinda early.. but what he failed to mention is that its a rebuilding team, youngest team in NBA, and still above the Lakers in the west.. its like everyone hates on us SMDH