1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti-property teachers use legos to teach Communism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 28, 2007.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=022107C

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wasn't really sure where to post this topic, so hopefully this is the right forum.

3. conquistador#11

why can't we just read George Orwell to our future comrades? :confused:
    Legos are expensive and if one piece is lost,then the set of legos is also lost. :p

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is a private school. don't like it? pull your kids out.

there is something funny about a private school situated on private property arguing against private property rights, though. :D

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Isn't Ironic. . . doncha think - Alana Morrisette

Rocket River

6. Party Pizza

Party Pizza Member

They are correct only on a "spiritual" level. We truly don't own anything.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Communism isn't evil, people are evil. IMO what makes communism worse is that it gives a small portion of people to have a lot of power and be really evil. With private property rights, there is less incentive for people to be evil, but it's still there.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

The so called communism is evil. There is not one nation that had tried to practice true communism. Communism is against human nature and not efficient but on a small scale it might be sustainable.

9. langal

langal Contributing Member

I wonder if those teachers own cars or anything.

They should be fired immediately. This stuff is disgusting. I thought it was a joke at first but looks like it might be true.

Sharing and caring and progessive tax brackets are one thing.

All houses must be identical is something else.

Communism doesn't work because humans aren't ants. Self-ambition is an innate human trait and there is no point to squash it.

10. deepblue

deepblue Member

the small scale might have to be a single person :)

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

No. Communism has worked for tribes, frontier settlements, and early religious groups. Throughout history, it seems that communism has worked well for any group where the survival of the group is threatened. When there are no luxuries, people are willing to share.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly. The more you have the more greedy people gets, we are a nice species aren't we?

13. Northside Moss

Eh, to me, its about as disgusting as telling kids to share thier cookies and to treat every kid as an equal in every situation.

Seriously, what elementary school (public included) doesn't have communistic/communal overtures?

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

There is a BIG difference between generosity and Communism.

No I do not teach my kid to always share their cookies or "treat every kid as an equal in every situation." Yes I want her to share - within reason. Brings to mind - some bday party we went to where a boy was holding her down in the pool so she couldn't breathe. No - I do not want her to regard that kid as an equal.

Communism, by and large, does not work. The phenomenom of "shirking" is just far too great. Communal societies might work on a very small scale. First of all, an individual's contributions to the society have to have a direct and measurably impact on his or her own life. Second, shirking from work would have to be readily detected and punished accordingly. With a large population, these 2 key requirements just become unteneble. The second element, itself, may cross some boundaries pertaining to freedom.

15. Northside Moss

Tip of the iceberg...elementary schools all have some communal properties. Standard lockers, group work wherein everyone in the group is given the same mark etc. True, this school takes it to an extreme (and has the right to anyways since its private) but to a certain extent, elementary schools have always embraced that "sharing/standard is good, equality for all children" concept. This school just takes it to a bit of an extreme and a more overtly communistic theme. Pretty much nothing too shocking to me.

But, personally, I'm not really that phobic to communism. Communism does have concepts that capatialism can learn from; I guess one easily forgets how capatialism started, by wrecking Vicotrian England into a castle and a million slums. Its always nice, for example, to remember that the abolition of child labor in England came as a direct result of the Manifesto.

16. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I agree. And it totally hilarious what you just pointed out.

On a more serious note - it's a bit disturbing that you have adults teaching children what they believe to be the ideal way of the world instead of just teaching them various ways of thinking and letting the children make up their own minds.

Mind control.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If it were a public institution on public land, though, there'd be hell to pay.

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

As there should be.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Homeless people in the area should follow those teachers home from school and move into their houses, since they don't believe in property rights and all buildings are public buildings.