1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another wet hankie in Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, May 2, 2005.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Let me know if this has already been posted, and I'll close this thread.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...?coll=orl-sports-headlines&ctrack=2&cset=true

(David Whitley column)
    Magic blew it with T-Mac, must watch as star shines
    Published May 2, 2005

HOUSTON -- Tracy McGrady was in no mood to smile, but he couldn't help himself. His new team had just lost to the Dallas Mavericks, when the subject of his old team came up.

It wasn't exactly a smile. It was more an I-told-you-so grin, without the I-told-you-so.

"You know what, I don't have to say anything," McGrady said. "Just look at where the Magic are now."

The more time passes, the more everybody else is saying it. What was Orlando smoking when it traded McGrady?

Sure, the Rockets are in the process of blowing a 2-0 series lead against Dallas in the NBA's Western Conference playoffs. McGrady had 36 points in Saturday night's loss -- but only two during a fourth-quarter fizzle by the Rockets.

That makes good ammo for the T-Gack crowd back in Orlando, which revels in McGrady's struggles. It's typical in a divorce, where you hope your "ex" ends up living in a trailer with six hound dogs and Penny Hardaway.

Sorry to inform you that McGrady has a 34,000-square-foot mansion. His Range Rover still has a Florida license plate, but he has happily moved on. And regardless of what happens against Dallas, T-Mac has gone west and established himself as the most dynamic and desirable player in the NBA.

"There are real good players in the league. There are great players in the league," said Houston General Manager Carroll Dawson. "But how many players can score 13 points in 35 seconds?"

And yes, he's even playing defense now.

So to summarize -- the Magic blew it.

"Ask them now if they would take him back," teammate Jon Barry said. "Just don't ask John Weisbrod."

Weisbrod traded a future Hall of Famer for three players and a headache-to-be-named-Doug-Christie later. It's easy to dissect what went wrong and play Monday Morning GM. But those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The Magic apparently are doomed to lose a once-in-a-lifetime player every 10 years. We'll never truly know whether the Shaq Dynasty could have been saved. With T-Mac, there is no doubt.

"It could have been prevented," he said.

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Auburndale. McGrady wanted to stay in Central Florida. If only the Magic had given him a reason to do so.

Let's be clear, T-Mac was not guiltless. His attitude deteriorated as the losses and Jeryl Sassers piled up. He admitted he slacked off during some games last year. That has been seized upon as the smoking gun, forever branding him as the lazy, self-centered source of the Magic's faults.

"I read things in the paper like that, and I marvel," Dawson said. "That's not the same guy we have here. He's low-key, very low-maintenance, a great teammate and unselfish."

That's what he was about 98.7 percent of the time in Orlando. The GMs who babysit Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Ron Artest and on and on would have loved to have had Weisbrod's problems.

McGrady's version of slacking was still worth 28 points, six rebounds and 5.5 assists a game. And if every NBA player who coasted in a game were banned, there would be no NBA.

None of which made it right not to give 149 percent. What made it understandable was working for an organization that was incapable of providing you with any help.

McGrady looked around last year and saw a 1-19 start. He noticed a fourth cast on Grant Hill's ankle. He knew five guys would guard him every possession. He winced as every other pass thrown to Andrew DeClercq was fumbled into the third row.

After three years of carrying the franchise, his spirit finally broke down. Unfortunately, that happened just as Weisbrod was taking over basketball operations.

Weisbrod has many managerial talents, but tact and indulging weakness are not two of them. His relationship with McGrady quickly passed the point of no return.

Ownership should have stepped in. Whatever McGrady's flaws, they could have been handled. And if it came down to a choice, good GM candidates come along every year.

"How many times does a guy like Tracy come around?" Dawson said.

The Rockets still are pinching themselves, afraid they'll awaken to find Steve Francis is still in uniform playing one-on-five. Steve-O's entertaining streetball style makes him a coaching nightmare, but Weisbrod was enamored by his fiery persona.

If only McGrady had taken a swing at Amare Stoudemire, he might still be in Orlando. Or he'd at least been spared hearing Weisbrod tell the world what a namby-pamby he was.

The irony is how much more tolerant Weisbrod has been of Francis' flaws. You didn't see McGrady skipping practices after the NBA All-Star Game, or kicking photographers and getting suspended at critical times.

Considering everyone knew McGrady wanted out, getting Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato wasn't a bad haul. It just never should have come to that in the first place. And no GM should try to justify a trade by bad-mouthing the player he dealt.

"That was just straight Bush League," Barry said. "Tracy never went after him. Then it became a verbal war."

If the point was to enhance McGrady's reputation as a malcontent, it worked to a large degree in Orlando. If that makes you feel better about the trade, feel free to embrace that image.

But McGrady was patient for three years as the players around him got worse, not better. The Magic should have shown a little more patience with him.

He is, after all, still just 25 years old. He won't win a title this year. The Rockets might not even make it out of the first round.

But everyone expects the next half-dozen or so years to be special. Meanwhile, Magic fans are hoping Dwight Howard arrives before the moving vans do.

"It's like night and day here. They're all about winning," McGrady said. "They know their roles, and we don't have people upstairs coming down and trying to control things."

That's as close as he came to really talking about the past. It was getting late Saturday night. He wanted to get home, and he was far more concerned about Dallas than Orlando.

McGrady said he missed the old town and its people. But when it came to his old franchise, he couldn't help smirking.

"I don't have to say anything," he repeated.

License plate aside, McGrady knows he's going places. Magic fans only will be able to look back and wonder why they couldn't go along for the ride.

David Whitley can be reached at dwhitley@orlandosentinel.com.

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Thanks again for being a total moron, John Weisass; we owe ya big time.

Ya gotta love this quote(!): "There are real good players in the league. There are great players in the league," said Houston General Manager Carroll Dawson. "But how many players can score 13 points in 35 seconds?"

#2 rockets-#1, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 2, 2005
  3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Astute, scathing ... and wildly enjoyable. :D

Thanks Will.

4. droxford

droxford Member

And, amazingly, it's an article from the Orlando Sentinel!

They're spot-on in that article. Of all the things that have gone wrong this year, I have absolutely ZERO complaints about McGrady. Not one. On the contrary - I knew he could score, but I'm amazed at his ability to pass to the open man, his unselfishness in involving the other players, his ability to work well with the coach (notice: JVG has given Tracy nothing but praise all year).

I sure do wish we win the championship this year (for many reasons). That sure would be a dagger in Weisbrod's heart.

-- droxford

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Will, you just made my day.. THANKS!!

Now lets get a WIN tonight!!! GO ROCKETS!!!

6. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

That's a good read, thanks for the article. I'm also one of the ones who have no complaints at all about tmac this season, it's too early to know if its because it's his honeymoon season, but he was better than what I expected. At the beginning of the season I thought he said things in the media that make you kind of think "should he be saying that?" but recently I don't notice anything like that. Maybe I got used to it.. Weisbrod is an idiot. I've been a fan of the magic this season just to support my reasoning on how bad their management is. I feel sorry for francis and cato.. cuttino got lucky.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm one who hated everything about The Trade except losing Cato and GETTING T-Mac!

I was glad to see Stevie's success early on in O-town, but thrilled with the mature playing Tracy McGrady. A truly elite player.

(Magic got Christie, Rox got JB from the deal. Magic got Cato while Rox got JHo. WhattaDeal!!!)