1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Unlicensed Football Game Coming, This Time With Next-Gen Animation

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RC Cola, Aug 21, 2007.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/814/814249p1.html
    <embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=958004&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/814/814258/BBTrailer_Large_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

This is the kind of animation I expected from Madden (and NCAA) on the 360 and PS3. Hopefully they can work out a deal with EA to put this in future iterations of their games...then maybe id can help them out on (drastically) improving the graphics while still maintaining a high framerate on multiple platforms. ;)

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Or maybe we could have actual competition in NFL games instead of exclusive licenses, the predictable result of which has been less competition and poorer quality games.

3. tulexan

tulexan Member

The game will probably suck, but I agree, hopefully EA will learn from this game and make Madden and NCAA better. I'm tired of slightly modified PS2 animations that the current games have.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Just picked up NCAA for PS3 and I'm extremely disappointed with it so far. The graphics don't look that much better than what I can remember from PS2. And the gameplay has been exactly the same for as long as I can remember.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Holy crap. Now thats next gen. WOW. You could have told me that was PS4 footage and I would have believed it.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What is everyone ooo'ing and aww'ing about... For all we know that isn't game play.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

i didnt read the article but the video is badass

i wonder if it will be like blitz the league with a storyline and all

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn madden needs to jump on that, that vid is insane..

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

looks too violent

10. RC Cola

Yeah, that too. Although for some reason, I still expected something like this from Tiburon. At least by the 2nd or 3rd iteration.

Why I expect great, or even just decent things from EA...I don't know.

I played the demo, and I came away with pretty much the same impressions. The graphics were much worse than I thought they were (and I think there wasn't much improvement with Madden?). Maybe just me, but I think I experienced the turnover issues that people were having in Madden, which I think were also apart of NCAA. Doesn't really make it that fun IMO. The full version might be a lot better with some gameplay tweaks and the some of the various gameplay modes though.

Don't know about the visuals in general, but the animation should be possible in gameplay (assuming that video didn't represent gameplay...although I don't think that is too hard to believe IMO). This company has been demonstrating this type of tech for years (some people may remember me posting stuff about Endorphin animation technology), and those demos had a football demo running in real-time. Basically similar to this video, just without all the fancy graphics tacked on. More recently, I think LucasArts had a few tech demos where they showed what they were able to do with the technology.

These guys are really talented when it comes to animation and physics simulation, so I wouldn't really doubt them when it comes to creating a football game that animates like that video. I'd have my doubts about the visuals (although they didn't seem that great), the gameplay, the replayability, online play, etc. I may even have my doubts about whether the game will even come out at all, let alone anytime soon. Still, the technology to do a game like this should be there.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree. No reason those animations cant be done in gameplay. There were only 3 or 4 players on the field though. Keeping the frame rate from dropping may become a problem with 22 players on the field (this title might not have 11 players, but this engine applied to the NFL would. Which is what I hope for.). I am not excited about this title as a football game. I am excited about the breakthrough in animation and physics.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Maaan that game looks amazing! Those tackles......I don't care about the NFL license, I'm definitely going to get this game. This possibly could be better than both Madden and APF2K8.

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

It looks dumb. The guy shouldn't have fumbled the ball at the end. Then when it was loose, another idiot went for a late hit instead of diving on the ball. Also - everybody jumps more than what is realistic.

Not to mention the stupid six-pack showing through the jersey.

14. RC Cola

This isn't even a recent breakthrough (if you even want to call it a breakthrough). I got videos of this tech on my HDD dating back to September of 2004 (and that's when I downloaded the video, not when it was created by the guys at NaturalMotion). In those videos, they showed some tackling animations that were easily adjustable with 2-3 player models running in real-time (not sure what kind of PC they were using though). They even offered a version of the technology for people to try out, although it was a bit limited IIRC (not to mention you had to learn how to use it before you could have any fun). They have (newer) videos of this stuff on their website if anyone is curious (NaturalMotion.com). All the football demos do make a lot more sense now. :)

I think that this has generally used up a lot of CPU processing power, but that really shouldn't be an issue these days I would think. I might be a little worried about simulating 22 players as you said, but I'm assuming they can get around that with enough work (assuming that is too CPU intensive). If nothing else, I'm sure they can scale things back a bit and it would still be really impressive.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hope they don't show any of those INJURIES that make you cringe when you see them.

Rocket River

16. tulexan

tulexan Member

I think the engine that this game is using is the one that is going to be in GTAIV. The technology is there to make the physics more realistic than what Madden currently has (I think I would scale back some of the animations that we saw in this game because it looked more like a football movie than a football game). EA really needs to step up next year with Madden. This will be the third year that they will be programming for next generation systems and I believe they are starting with the PS3 and porting it over to the 360 next year. If all we see is a slightly improved version of Madden 08 with updated rosters then a lot of people are going to be furious.

17. RC Cola

Yeah, Rockstar confirmed that they are using the euphoria technology for GTAIV (they're still using R.A.G.E. as the game engine though). I forgot the specifics about the different technologies, but I think that endorphin is used to create canned animations (though the animations are created in real-time), while euphoria calculates animations on-the-fly in-game. I didn't quite realize that, so that's probably why it is taking a little longer for games to use this type of technology (though I think euphoria has been around for a while too?). That's what I get for thinking it was just a simple name change for next-gen consoles. :) They also have morpheme, which is their animation engine, but we don't really need to get into that.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have madden 2008 on 360, the animation is incredible. Have u not seen it Cola?

19. RC Cola

Yeah, I think I've even seen a video that is entirely dedicated to EA showing off and describing the new animation technology. It looks nice given what we're used to getting from EA, but not quite what I wanted. Maybe acceptable for Madden 06 on the 360, but I wanted the animation to be a notch (or more?) higher with next-gen Madden, like in this new football game.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Animation looks great, but I prefer realistic looking action. You never see guys spear tackling like that in real life. Reminds me of some cheesy football movie where guys are jumping 4 feet in the air to make tackles and spinning around 720 degrees after getting hit.

This is the first year I haven't bought the new NCAA since the PS1 days. What's the point? Nothing has changed or been improved. I'll just continue my dynasty on last years game and save the $50.