1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Trade Brain Teaser.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, May 12, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It's no secret that Atlanta's Dikembe Mutombo is on the trade block. But, here's the interesting part:
    • Mutombo signed a 5 year/$50 million deal with the Hawks back in 1996.
    • His current deal makes him a free agent in 2001, coincidentally the same year the Rockets are set to remove Hakeem Olajuwon's rough $15 million scale off their payload.
    • Mutombo's deal will pay him roughly $14 million this 200-2001 season.
    • Atlanta is in the rebuilding spirit with 7 players on their roster under the age of 34.
    • The Rockets have a $4.5 million trade exception to make this work.

Now I don't know if Mutombo is a base year player (or any of those complications), but I do know that Cato+trade exception+Drew+Throw in => roughly $14million.

Why the Rockets Make this Deal.

*Strictly long term. By renouncing Mutombo's rights in the summer of 2001 (coupled with the retirement of Olajuwon), the Rockets would clear up roughly $20mill-$25mill from the tank. This puts them in the position to seek not only one but two impact free agents.

*Mutombo is 34, but is by no means washed up. He'd be good to go for next season providing the Rockets the interior defensive presence they so greatly need. Use him next year, see what you can do in the playoffs, and then renounce him.

*He is 7 feet tall. [​IMG]

Why the Hawks Make this Deal.

*They unload Mutombo, but in the process take on less return salary because of the $4.5million exception.

*They trade a 7 footer for another 7 footer. Who else in the NBA has a young, shot blocking center to offer in a trade, but the Rockets?

On a Side Note: I know this is scraping the outright impossible, but what if Duncan signs with the Spurs for just 1 year as so many insiders have hinted. A Mutombo trade puts us in serious position to give Duncan the money he wanted.

------------------
    "I don't care how tall the guy is, trade his ass!"

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Do you have the name of a youngster with potential that could be tutored by the veteran center(s)?

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I would rather go after Theo Ratliff [​IMG]

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

4. MManal

MManal Member

I dont think Atlanta will want to deal Mutombo. Around the trade deadline, they were offered Shawn Marion, Tom Guggliotta and Luc Longley for Mutombo and turned it down. They demanded Jason Kidd instead and the Suns balked. That basically tells me that Atlanta is planning on adding some players around Mutombo and making it back into the postseason. Mutombo should still be able to be a capable defender and rebounder for a couple more seasons, enough for them to crack the postseason in a weak Eastern Conference. They looked pathetic last season but with the drafting of a wing player like Mike Miller, more experience for Jason Terry, improved play from Lorenzen Wright that he showed at the end of last yr and a new coach (Isaiah Thomas?) they should be much improved. If they were planning on dealing Mutombo, I think they wouldve taken the Suns package.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

5. Chickenhead28

Chickenhead28 Member

I don't think Atlanta will go for that trade.
    Cato is a project, he's not that good. I would love to get Dikembe, he's just what the Rockets can use.
    In a perfect world, If we can just can Mihm in the draft, that will solve alot of problems.

------------------
    the Heat suck!!

6. Chickenhead28

Chickenhead28 Member

------------------
    the Heat suck!!

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a pretty good idea. But say, we couldn't get Duncan after Mutumbo leaves, we'd be in a serious bind at center.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

8. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Yeah..but we still got 25 million to offer to a SF and a PF.. =D

------------------

9. who?

who? Member

it would be great if we could get Mutombo and I do think he's moveable, but I think he'll go to Phoenix for that deal they offered at the trade deadline. After all Hawks want to get youner and Phoenix are getting killed by Shaq and wouldn't do anything until they get a legitimate centre.

------------------

10. TraJ

TraJ Member

Do the Hawks know that Cato is 7" tall? I think someone definitely needs to tell them.

------------------

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bskball.com says Hakeem isn't a free agent next year, they have him in 04 as a free agent. I don't think that's right, is it? Anyway, that year is LOADED, and will only get better: Sheed, Reef, Garnett, McDyess, Kemp, Jayson Williams, Van Exel.

Imagine if we did this trade and won the lottery, and got our Duncan scenario. We'd still have another 9 mill, and could probably pull off Finley.

Francis-Anderson-Finley-Swift-Duncan. How sick would that be? Enough of the dreamcasting. Anyway, in 02, there appears to be a solid crop-Olowakandi, Doleac, Carter, Jerome Williams, Bryon Russell, Jamison, Lafraenz, etc.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

12. popeye

popeye Member

Cabbage, you been hiding,man?

A couple of things.

The fact that Atlanta turned down the Phoenix deal has less to do with DM than the Longley/TG/Marion thing being heavy laden in contract debt.

The very fact that the plug was pulled on trading Dikembe by Lenny W is another. Lenny is now gone. And, just in case you forgot, his "mutally resigned agreement/FIRED" thing, occurred shortly after the team management expressed their "wholehearted support" for Lenny " this season and next". Uh,Huh. Right.
    Things change. Atlanta is due for a complete meltdown. Cabbage's prediction of DM being traded to Houston or elsewhere isn't that far fetched.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why would the Hawks trade Mutombo to Houston so that Houston could clear cap space the next year when Atlanta can do the same thing by simply holding Mutombo one more year? Especially with the trade bait. Jason Terry is their young pg, why do they want Drew? Forget Drew, why would they want Cato? They have enough oft-injured uninspired players without Cato.

------------------
    There are three kinds of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

MManal, when you said the "Suns balked," I think you actually meant to say the "Suns laughed in their faces!"

------------------