1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another take on Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston22, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Since I am Slovenian and know Dragic's game pretty well from the beginning of his career, I wanted to share my opinion with you.

Let's start with cons..
    He has problems with confidence sometimes and can easily get in this cranky, angry mood that doesn't help the team. This moody times usually start when he drives to the basket and is fouled on the play. Most of all, he is not consistent. He is flashy. He has high potential, but it really burns you seeing him coasting and not being 100% (heck 60!) into it sometimes. Especially when flashes come and you see what he is capable of.

He has to be treated carefully with a lot of encouraging and other times with discipline.

In the beginning of his career he was known for a pretty bad 3-point shooting. He was purposely left alone on three. He seems to have turned it around in Phoenix, making some clutch threes there and also on national team. He is certainly not Aaron Brooks in shooting department.

He can be very good slasher and passer. His interior passes were brilliant even before and now he learned well how to pass to an open guy. He is quick as Brooks, but sometimes gets out of control on the drive.
    He can be very good defender with his long arms, but then again it depends on his state of mind.
    Guys love him partly for his quiet way and partly for his glimpses of flashes. He is capable of turning games around and giving boosts to a team. He should have stayed on the court late in the games many times last year after turning games around. Role of a first violin suited him better than coming as a spark from bench on the national team.
    Gentry really put a lot into this guy, encouraging him and giving him a lot of playing time. That's what scares me a little bit. He was supposed to take it to the next level and it seems that he was not able to do so. He needs to be given time to show what he is capable of. That's why his first games in Houston will be very important. Otherwise he might just fade to the end of the bench..

5 people like this.
  2. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Dragon has much more potential than Lowry going forward at 24..

3. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

Thanks for sharing.

4. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Really? How do you know that? What I see in Kyle is what I wanna see in other guys. He is like Chuck - works hard. Not only that he tries to improve, but also is a perfect team player.

Attitude has a lot to do with the development of the player. I like Kyle's attitude... yeah, he is far from being good.. but still gotta admire his hard work

Lowry has gotten better than last year while Dragic has regressed. Not saying that Dragic is not going to help this team or what. Not really saying that Dragic can't be better than kyle or is not. Just saying it's too early to say who will be better.

1 person likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Attitude and mindset speak to many a players success or failure. While a few seem blessed with a firm positive/constructive attitude (Battier), many (Brooks, Hill, Bud) seemed to wax and wane according to their mood or their confidence.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Houston22, thanks for the info. Can you enlighten us on Dragic's feud with Vujacic? What is the real reason behind that? Who is more popular of the two in Slovenia?

7. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Good insight.

Hopefully he becomes more consistent as he matures and harnesses all his potential. I really like his size and speed.

8. Dlawson

Dlawson Member

The Dragon is the man.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I hope Goran takes over Lowry's place.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lol I don't understand this post.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, you are definitely dead on on this one. The 40 something day difference in age between Lowry and Dragic indicates Dragic's clearly superior potential.

1 person likes this.
  13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Damn I hate Bavetta!

14. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Funny how we talk about his potential and jordan hills potential, but don't have to mention blake griffins or derek roses "potential." If he becomes a player as good as brooks thats s good thing, but hes not there yet.

15. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i honestly think that dragic will be nothing more than a solid pg in this league i dont know why everybody is so high on this guy....i know he has potential but i just dont see him being more than an average solid pg no disrespect to him.....BUT i think he will like said in the post have some flashes but a 7/10 pg :)

16. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Hi! Sorry for late reply, but anyways..

Dragic is the beloved one. Vujacic was cut off the national team. Official argument was that he had an injury and didn't recover in time, but coach also admit that he had to deal with Vujacic the prima donna, that he didn't practice enough and so on.
    Vujacic on the other hand said that he rent a personal trainer/physiotherapist so he could recover quicker and probably put a lot into proving to be worth national team and do something good there. But he is what he is - a guy that thinks he can score 30 on any given night

As I said in original post, Dragic is quickly angered and probably threw some of the popular "Kobe's b**ch" thrastalking into his face..
    Report that the feud was started on national team is almost certainly wrong, because Vujacic didn't really spend whole much time with the team and when coach cut him off the altercation was only between the two and the players had nothing bad to say about him..

3 people like this.
  17. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks, good man.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is Dragic fool's gold?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Fools cubic zirconia? ... aluminum? ... beef jerky?

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

We always talk about potential. I think you will know a true player's potential is at the first 2 seasons in the league. If they are truly gifted with high potential, they will already be a big impact player already. Guys like Rose, Griffin, Wall, Westbrook, Durant, Paul etc, all showed real potential in their rookie season or the 2nd season.

It is rare for a player to fully develop late in their careers (Billups). Lets say if Jordan Hill has the potential to be a star in this league, he would already be a big impact player in this league instead of getting outplay by a rookie in Patterson. Dragic on the other hand, is a good player. He won't be a star but from what flashes he has shown so far in the last few seasons, he has the potential to become a good player.

Potential is an invisible rating. Some young players seem to have lots of potential because of what flashes they've shown but never made a big enough impact. I think that if a player that has superstar potential, he should be putting up good numbers and make an immediate impact during their first 2 seasons. Like Lebron James, when he was a rookie, he was putting up insane numbers to go along with his high potential which makes it easy to tell whether he will be a big star or not.