1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Spring storm slamming DFW area

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by IROC it, Apr 17, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

As I type this... 8:20 PM, a huge storm just passed through the west of Ft. Worth, and Ft. Worth, heading for Dallas and surrounding areas in about a 70 mile (south to north) path...

So much hail has fallen near Weatherford to Sanger that the HD Chopper for WFAA camera's took video that resembled a snow storm...

[​IMG]

Last week we had damage all over the place with tornadoes, etc...

This week, more freaky storm with tons of hail and more twisters expected.

Be careful out there... if you're up here, take cover, put cars inside if possible! 60-70 mph winds...

Half dollar to baseball size hail in Tarrant county right now... :eek:

I'll follow up later.

2. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

My neighborhood up here in Allen got hit pretty bad. A lot of houses here got damage, even the ones right in front of me. Hopefully nothing that bad happens again.

3. IROC it

Pretty much only got rain here in Plano... 15 minutes tops.

This really seemed to "peak" about the time I posted the thread... some smaller hail went across Dallas, but it was mostly rain.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think the bigger thing we have to worry about is "The Office" was not shown but, instead, we had to watch the weather guy talk up a storm that wasn't nearly as bad as they were egging on about in the early going.

I know...it's better to be cautious. Try telling angry viewers up here in North Texas that. They have b****ed before about missing their favorite shows because some weather guy stayed on the air too long.

They better re-air it on Saturday or something. We also missed CSI.

DAMMIT! :D

5. IROC it

Yep. Plano got in trouble last week for not sounding our weather sirens, when we had severe damaging winds all around at 4 AM.

This storm came through around 9:20 PM and they turned the sirens on... but it was barely a hard rain.

Make up call.

Just glad there were no major injuries reported both times recently. Yet.

The abc station is replaying some show at 3 in the morning...

Some of the video right now is amazing! From the Ft. Worth area and west, it was hailing in buckets... It looked like a driving range with literal buckets of golf balls being dumped out!

Dark wall clouds didn't fully form... but in Mineral Wells it looks like someone took hammers to a new truck lot... Several cars have no glass left in tact...

It definitely could have been worse, and I'm glad it wasn't... here at least.

Hope everyone else is okay.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The sirens apparently went off where I live during that storm last week, but they aren't loud enough to wake us up.

So, I slept right through that whole thing.

I don't understand the thing with interrupting the shows, either, especially since they repeat themselves over and over again while also saying that there's really nothing yet but the storm could produce something. Seems like they should wait until there's something to tell, tell it, and then get back to programming.

I also hate that the stations very often will play the episodes but give essentially no notice that they're doing so and put them at weird times. For example, CBS 11 played Survivor at 12:37am and WFAA replayed Eli Stone just after 3am.

It was just dumb luck that I happened across the information and was able to set my DVR to get them recorded. Who knows when or if NBC 5 will play My Name is Earl, 30 Rock and The Office (or if they have already).

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What I found funny was channel 11 was showing CSI for some of the beginning hour time slot...when the storm was actually moving into west Fort Worth and was raging. They didn't even bat an eye lash for a while. It wasn't until the last half hour of the show...when they came in...well after the real threat had been essentially downgraded. So, those people who watched the first 30 minutes of CSI without interruption then missed the 2nd half...as the weather guy came in and pretty much stayed on for the next hour. The time he was on...for the next hour or so...the storm was much weaker. So, I don't know what the hell channel 11 was thinking. They dropped the ball.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No *****...I was so PO'd...I don't care about the weather...show the office in the corner of the weather report... :mad: I only catch the end where Jan is
    dead

9. mrpaige

Yeah, it was weird. The Channel 5 (NBC) guy was only coming on during the commercials at that point and kept mentioning how the threat has been downgraded and things are much better than they were, etc.

While over on Channel 11, they're talking about how things are getting bad and they need to go to wall-to-wall coverage now.

Anybody know if/when NBC 5 will rerun the Thursday night line-up?

Or do I have to watch it online, which I hate doing?

10. rrj_gamz

The most important news of the day...NBC5 Sux

Overnight Friday, NBC will rebroadcast part of Thursday night's prime-time line-up after storm coverage preempted regular programming.

This rebroadcast means NBC 5 will not air Saturday morning's episode of "In Wine Country" or the rebroadcast of "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno.

The rebroadcast will begin at 2:04 a.m. Saturday with Thursday's episode of "My Name Is Earl." "30 Rock" will air at 2:34 a.m. and "The Office" will air at 3:04 a.m.

Please manually set your recording device as we do not expect TIVO or other digital recording devices to detect these programming changes.

Additionally, all three shows can be seen on demand at

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

WHAT!!! AARRRGGGHH!!! Thats what I get for pressing your Office Spoiler button RRJ!

12. mrpaige

Having now watched the episode on Hulu.com, I can say that you aren't actually spoiled.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

We have staff right now from Houston up in Lewisville and Texarkana. They were due back after the weekend was over.

Unfortunately, the storms last night bombarded Weatherford, TX with hail. So
    now they are on the way there.

Catastrophe duty pays well, but 7 days a week, 12 hours a day....no thanks!

14. rrj_gamz

Yeah, just saw it on hula...that's what happens when you only catch the last couple of seconds...sorry bro...