1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Parity Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, Jun 5, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If Durant and LeBron were prevented from joining their respective franchises there would be like two more good teams

There thirty teams and not thirty Lebron's

So just enjoy the super teams in the finals

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Lebron going back to the Cavs is not the same thing as Kevin Durant going to the Warriors. The first one just created a new super team. The latter added a top 3 player and recent MVP of the entire league to an existing 73-win super team and created a god damn all-star team that will win the next 5 championships if healthy. I think the second one is a much bigger problem.

3. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

When LeBron joined Bosch, & D Wade that formed a Superteam. When he went back to Cleveland they were not a winning team the year before.
    They are now. I was disappointed in him when he left & glad when he went back.I don't blame KD for leaving OKC, but. he should of come to the Rockets, not join the team that beat his azz a few months before. Silver should have made him Head East.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This isn't rocket science. It's just math. It's a zero sum game. Thebplayers that play in he NBA and theirnrelative skill sets don't change regardless of how theyre distributed across teams. ... except maybe at the fringes.

That being the case, if your for ultimate parity, you'd rather distribute those players across all teams to create as equal talent across teams as possible.

To me, that'd be fun.

To others, they prefer some clearly dominant teams.

Easy likes this.
  5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I remember when I enjoyed the NBA and not just the Finals.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To the "superteams are fine" comments, I always respond with the analogy of pick up games.

When you play pick up games in the gym or in the park, do you want all the good players on the same team or do you want to spread the talent? It's just not fun to have one team annihilating everybody else.

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. JayZ750

Ha... the answer to this depends entirely on what team you're on ;)

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good to see @pgabriel bring some parity to parity thread making.

I was beginning to think there are no "Parity Threads" until What makes them. We need a parity thread about parity of parity thread making, since @what's parity thread making is too damn high.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What I'm saying is super teams are one issue

Parity is another issue

In reality even in an era when talent is spread evenly there are only a few teams competing for a championship

In the eighties it was magic bird Isaiah Hakeem and Jordan

That's five players and Barkley Malone Robinson and Ewing Drexler round out the true contenders

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Leagues like dynasties for the overall popularity of the league as a whole

They like parity for the popularity of the individual franchises to their fans interested.

Its a balancing act

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah. Until the Bulls got Rodman and Kukoc, I thought there was a lot of parity in the 90s. Basketball is just a sport of only 5 Players, so it is, by its very nature, a sport dominated by the superstars unlike any other

There used to be a time where we discussed how you have to have an elite player to be a contender. Ppl would show history of the success of #1 picks. I'd show how only In the years like 1984 where multiple of these elites were in the same draft, it really holds true. And Bird was picked a year before allowed in today NBA, so you know Magic Bird were 1 and 2. Then guys like Erving and Moses who weren't #1 because they signed for millions with ABA

the elites have sooo much success largely because the nature of the game -- it's only 5 players. And it's my favorite sport because of that.

#11 heypartner, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    MorningZippo and pgabriel like this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This thread blows....

[​IMG]

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, it wouldn't be fun playing on a super pick up team.

Maybe it's just me. The fun of sports/games is not just in winning but in how you struggle to overcome the adversity, beating a worthy opponent. Winning over someone who don't have the ability to challenge you is no fun.

MorningZippo likes this.
  14. JayZ750

Well, to be fair, Iv'e never experienced being on that super team at the park day after day after day after day. But its absolutely fun as **** if you are on a squad that just runs the court for 2-3 hours.

This might be amplified though because when you lose, if its a busy court, you are sitting for a couple of games and so it becomes boring as crap to wait.

MorningZippo likes this.
  15. lionaire

lionaire Member

Exactly, I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding this.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree about LeBron not being like Durant

Actually we've never seen someone like Durant join a team like GS

I think people are also still not used to players having so much influence on a roster

That's another topic

#16 pgabriel, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Brilliant.

DD

Easy likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Deserves its own thread.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think most people are content with a lack of parity. We don't need every team to be contenders every year.

The problems is that there are no contenders at all right now. The Warriors are in a class of their own. The next best teams only have a chance because of injuries and/or suspensions. Even if 2 of the Warriors' all stars have an off night they can beat the next best teams. If there are four good teams as you mentioned in the OP, it would be entertaining. You would have multiple teams trying to take that next step. Right now teams are judt trying to be entertaining, there's no hope for a championship.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Durant and Curry aren't shaq and Kobe as far as individual talent or even wade and LeBron

Golden State won 73 games in large part due to his depth of the roster

The concern is legit but golden St isn't a super team just because Durant joined.