1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another NHL Team On The Move?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by North Star, Jun 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

stealing an NFL team >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>stealing an NHL team

Still if we are gonna have ice hockey (even though it's irrelevent) it might as well be the number 1 league

3. msn

msn Member

Disagree! I want Houston to have an NHL franchise. We have a lot of transplants from north of the Mason-Dixon line, and I think the team would do well and generate a lot of excitement. If our hispanic citizens can enjoy the 1836, then bring on the hockey team for our Yankee transplants, baby.

4. texanskan

I enjoy the 1836 and I'm sure some Yankees will enjoy the ice skating with sticks but the NHL is irrelevent.

NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA tour, ATP tour, Racing, MLS and even the PBA bowling tour are more relevent.

NHL=Arena football, LPGA tour, WTA, WNBA, track and field et. etc.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's just dumb.

6. msn

msn Member

It's irrelevant to you. Believe it or not, the world is bigger than Texas. Even the USA is bigger than Texas. Go to the Northeast, for example, and you'll find the NBA enjoys a much more "irrelevant" status compared to the NHL than here.

And btw, racing sucks. Racing is not a sport. Racing is irrelevant! Of course, it's only irrelevant to me--as countless millions of Bubbas, Jeds, Cooters, and Rickys all across the south and midwest disagree with me vehemently.

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

NHL does not belong in the South. It just doesn't seem right and the Canadian fans always get pissed off when a city like (Anaheim) wins it.

Move all the teams up north and Canada.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

From the article...

The escape clause in the Predators' lease is based on average paid attendance. If the team has two straight seasons of under 14,000 tickets sold per game, Leipold had the right to exercise a "cure" clause which would force Nashville to make up the difference in ticket sales.

He took that action last Friday. The Predators averaged 13,815 in paid attendance last season when they finished third in the NHL with 110 points.

I have a great idea for a movie. There is a a sports team owner that needs his team to average fewer than so many fans a game in order to move the team to what he feels is a more profitable location, so he purposefully signs a bunch of reject players in order to put together the worst team possible! Has that ever been done before? :D

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard the Stanley Cup got WORST ratings than the NBA finals!

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

1836 on ice baby

11. texanskan

I don't like racing at all, what I do watch is F1 or Indy not Nascar. Anyway I have lived in Europe and spent time in the Northeast.

As far as the NHL, I just call it like I see it that is all

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I have a great idea for a movie. There is a a sports team owner that needs his team to average fewer than so many fans a game in order to move the team to what he feels is a more profitable location, so he purposefully signs a bunch of reject players in order to put together the worst team possible! Has that ever been done before? :D[/QUOTE]

"C'mon Dorn, get in front of the ball, don't give me this oolayy bull#$%^!" :D

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That's pretty stupid to say. If you're "calling it like you see it"...uhh...then your objectivity has been compromised.

I don't like the NHL. I think growing up in Houston certainly has a lot to do with that. Regardless, I can easily see that it outranks a lot of other sports. You said you've lived in NYC, right? You HAD to have known a bunch of hockey fans.. they're all over in the NE.

14. texanskan

"C'mon Dorn, get in front of the ball, don't give me this oolayy bull#$%^!" :D[/QUOTE]

"nice game dorn"

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not only would the Leafs not let this happen, but the Sabres would have a big say in it too. They probably don't hold as much merit, but Hamilton is just as close to Buffalo as it is to Toronto.

Although, that would put 3 NHL teams within an hour or two's drive. :eek:

It's about 3 hours from here to Toronto. An hour and a half (at most) to Buffalo.

Probably 2 hours and some change to Hamilton.

I could not imagine being a rabid hockey fan living in Niagara Falls if this move were to happen. :eek:

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i really like the NHL. but it has certainly suffered big time since the work stoppage a couple of years back. no ESPN coverage of games...they're relegated to OLN/VS now...a channel that doesn't come standard on basic satellite packages (i'm not sure about cable). the league has taken huge steps back in terms of national presence.

stealing away nashville's team would be great!

17. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

There's not as many yankees as their are as hispanics here, so yes, hockey is useless here. Let me make it more simple...hockey in Texas is like playing soccer in Alaska...see, I told ya. It's just plain dumb.

18. msn

msn Member

Yeah, because Alaska is just as different from Texas as Texas is from the Northeast. Makes plenty of sense. Those Aeros barely stay afloat, too. NHL hockey has done pretty poorly in Dallas as well.

In other words, bring the NHL to Houston.

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Thanks. Every time I think I have read the most ignorant thing ever...I read something that totally eclipses what I have read before.

Thanks for keeping the trend going.

20. texanskan

Your statement is ignorant, I just listed facts

Tier 1= NFL
    Tier 2= MLB-NBA
    Tier 3= Golf Tennis and Racing

Teir 4= MLS NHL and other niche sports.

If you like the NHL that's cool but to act like it's some big time thing in most of the US then you are projecting.