1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Another HBO Program]Deadwood Season Three

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Jun 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thoughts?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can't wait, but I heard this might be the last season. Apparently the creator is on to something else.

DD

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

YOu don't have to wait much longer, the season premiere was last night.

It was ok, next week's episode should be really good.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, I've heard the same thing about this being the last season. That sucks, I like Deadwood. A friend of mine told me it's because the show's creator wanted to focus on Rome (another HBO show).

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll watch it, but it's gone downhill since Season 1. It went from a kickass western show to a western soap opera with Shakespearean overtones and dialogue.

The first episode was OK, but I hope they shave off some of the bit-characters. Too many to fit into an hour-long show.

6. SamFisher

I could do without any more Calamity Jane - she has run her course after 2+ years. She should honor her pledge and not be a drunk where Wild Bill is buried and leave town.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

do they have to make Calamity so disgusting. I like the realism but I just can't take it. its funny, she played on a law and order episode as one part in this hot duo, the other girl was the victim after hanging out at a swinger's club. turned out she killed the girl because she had a crush on her.

the shakespearean dialogue can be a bit much as following the show, but I feel it matches several characters, mainly Al. coming from trixie it can be a bit annoying.

8. SamFisher

I have read that that is the way people actually talked back then, very flowery, formal and verbose, just of course with the occasional "c-ksucker" sprinkled in.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

actually I wouldn't doubt that. I guess my idea of the Old West is shaped by straight talking John Wayne characters but it seems that more contemporary Westerns employ that type of dialogue. One of my favorite movies is "Wyatt Earp" with Costner it is more along the lines of "Deadwood" in terms of Dialogue. And I guess any movie, play, television series, etc. about the Old South has characters who speak that way.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I caught it last night. I was surprised it was the premiere as I hadn't heard anything about it coming up recently. Looks like they have some good plotlines going on with Swearingen and that other guy squaring off in a pissing contest(or whatever). The only problem(and I'm not alone judging by this thread) I have with this show is, half the time, I'm too stupid to follow the dialogue cause it's hard to understand these people speaking in this old dialect. I mean...I get the underlying meaning but following the conversation is difficult at times. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy listening to people talk like that. It's refreshing. It's just sometimes I don't know what the hell their talking about. Even with Tivo, I could probably watch a conversation multiple times and still go WTF? If there is a way to turn on the subtitles, then I need it when watching this show.

11. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I've really come to enjoy the show for that very reason (dialogue). It is almost poetic and you always have to listen to get the full meaning. Swearingen is a badass!

12. SamFisher

Closed Captioning is your friend.