1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another deal scenario for our Nuggets friends...involving the Cavs' Andre Miller

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2002.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Cleveland trades:
    PF Brian Skinner (3.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 18.1 minutes)
    PG Andre Miller (16.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 10.3 apg in 35.3 minutes)
    SG Bryant Stith (4.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 13.3 minutes)
    SF Lamond Murray (16.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 33.3 minutes)
    SG Wesley Person (14.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.3 apg in 35.1 minutes)
    Cleveland receives:
    PG Nick Van Exel (21.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 8.0 apg in 38.9 minutes)
    PF Dan Langhi (1.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.1 apg in 6.1 minutes)
    C Maurice Taylor (7.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 24.9 minutes)

Denver trades:
    SF George McCloud (7.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.8 apg in 24.4 minutes)
    C Raef LaFrentz (14.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.2 apg in 32.3 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (21.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 8.0 apg in 38.9 minutes)
    Denver receives:
    PG Andre Miller (16.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 10.3 apg in 44 games)
    SG Bryant Stith (4.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 28 games)
    SF Lamond Murray (16.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 36 games)
    PF Jason Collier (1.5 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 2 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (7.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 44 games)

Houston trades:
    PF Dan Langhi (1.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.1 apg in 6.1 minutes)
    PF Jason Collier (1.5 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 4.0 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (7.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 24.9 minutes)
    C Maurice Taylor (7.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 24.9 minutes)
    Houston receives:
    PF Brian Skinner (3.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 43 games)
    SG Wesley Person (14.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.3 apg in 44 games)
    SF George McCloud (7.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.8 apg in 35 games)
    C Raef LaFrentz (14.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.2 apg in 44 games)

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Cleveland, Denver, and Houston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Cleveland, Denver, and Houston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Okay, this trade is based on the assumption that Cleveland does not want to pay Andre Miller the max and therefore has to trade him.

Cleveland's starters afterwards would be:

PG: Van Exel
    SG: High Draft Pick
    SF: Jumaine Jones
    PF: Maurice Taylor
    C: Ilgauskas/Mihm

Jones has shown quite a bit of promise recently. Van Exel/Mo Taylor/Ilgauskas plus a top draft pick at SG or SF is something one can build around...not a great team, but if they have to trade Miller anyway, they might as well break it all up and try a new start. They also still have, among others, Diop, Doleac, Langdon, who might turn out to be decent role players. Who knows, perhaps Langhi might even suddenly prove that he should get 30 minutes in the NBA, given the chance. Someone mentioned that Lucas is at the Rockets' training facilities all the time. Who knows, perhaps he likes Mo and Langhi.

I would be willing to throw in a low first-round draft pick and/or a second-round draft pick to Cleveland to get this deal done. And if I was Denver, I would give them all my picks just to get rid of Van Exel and to get Andre Miller (just kidding, NugzFan, but a low first-round or a second-rounder, I would do it if I was Denver).

------------------------

Denver:

PG: Andre Miller
    SG: Lenard
    SF: Lamond Murray
    PF: McDyess
    C: Cato

6th man: Posey, plus Bowen (energy man), Avery Johnson, Cheaney, Zendon Hamilton (good potential!), Collier on the bench...

Nice team!!! If Cato plays as he has been playing the past couple of weeks and everyone is healthy, this team is a playoff team and more than that.

------------

HOUSTON ROCKETS:

PG: STEVE FRANCIS/Moochie
    SG: CUTTINO MOBLEY/Wes Person/Torres
    SF: KENNY THOMAS/Rice/McCloud
    PF: EDDIE GRIFFIN/Morris or Brian Skinner
    C: RAEF LAFRENTZ/Willis

IR: Brian Skinner or TMo and, realistically, probably Rice for quite a bit of the season

PLUS, since we will miss the playoffs, we will have a high draft pick which we can groom - should preferably be a really huge, muscular guy at center to fight with Shaq, a "mean bruiser" type. I think this team would kick ass. Nobody should be fooled by Cato's recent performances. If we don't trade him, once the trade deadline has passed, he will go back to sucking. Mark my words.

We would have another reliable three-point threat with Wes Person (one of the best shooters in the league). McCloud would probably not get too many minutes, but he is an excellent passer and 3-point shooter. He could even play the point when both Francis and Moochie need a rest and Rudy wants to go with a big lineup - I think I remember he had one or two 20+ assist games in his career which is pretty amazing. He has voiced his displeasure with being in Denver, so I think they would want to trade him.

With Thomas, Griffin, LaFrentz, everyone can play all three positions (well, Thomas would be a bit small at center) and everyone can stick the three, plus, Griffin and LaFrentz are outstanding shotblockers. One could also start Rice and bring Thomas as the sixth man behind the other three frontcourt guys - he would still get more than 30 minutes a game, so he shouldn't really mind. With his hustle, he could make a difference every time he enters the game.

--------------

This team could easily go for 50+ wins if everyone stays healthy and everyone is committed to give it his all not only on the offensive, but also on the defensive end!!

It would have everything - size (LaFrentz/Griffin/Willis), hustle (Thomas, Torres), explosiveness (Francis, Mobley), shot-blocking (Griffin/LaFrentz - two of the top 10 shot-blockers in the league!!!), and, very, very important for Rudy: fantastic three-point shooting from every single position on the floor - in fact, there would hardly be any player who could NOT stick the three - this would make it very hard to defend the Rockets (Francis, Moochie, Mobley, Person, Torres, Rice, McCloud, Griffin, LaFrentz can all shoot with the best of them).

Heck, I even like Brian Skinner as a fill-in if one of the other guys is injured. I remember watching him at Baylor and he always seemed to hustle - good shot-blocker and rebounder!

-------------

So - what do you think?

Cleveland would not do it because.......

Denver would not do it because........

We should not do it because.......

Let the bashing begin.... :)

#1 AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2002
  2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm going to have to take the side of Nugzfan and Nuggets4(as soon as they see this;))...no way Denver would do that. They give up 2 of their best 3 players for 2 scrubs, a decent SF, and Kelvin Cato(who knows if he'd play this well anywhere else). They'd have to get a couple of nice lottery picks to make it work.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

All Cleveland gets is Nick Van Headcase and scrubs for Miller? I doubt they'd pull the trigger...

but I like it, from the Rocket's standpoint.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you kidding? You must have overlooked that they get Andre Miller - if I was Denver, I would do that in a heartbeat - they are not really high on LaFrentz and have a high risk that he would just leave when his contract is up, I don't think that relationship can be fixed anymore, plus, Van Exel and McCloud want out - Andre Miller is, in my opinion, one of the 3 or 4 best point guards in the league - he isn't the assist leader for nothing!

I'm much more worried about Cleveland not wanting do it, because they would give up three starters who I think are one future super star (Miller), one great shooter (Person) and one decent SF (Murray). BUT - WITH all these guys, Cleveland is not going anywhere - so they might as well try something new IF they don't want to give Miller the max. In my opinion, he IS a max player.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Oh, I must have misread it. But I do think that Cleveland would need a little more, like a pick or two.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yep, just while you posted that, I edited my post and suggested that also...plus, I made some stuff bold so that it can be read more easily.

I would LOVE it if all that became true :).

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So Cleveland gives up 3 double digit scorers and only gets Van Exel plus a player that might never be the same due to injury in Mo Taylor and another player that can't get splinters out of his ass? lol

Both the Rockets and Nuggets make out like bandits in this deal, but I would rather have Andre Miller on the Rockets.

I would think a KT or Mo Taylor + Mobley for Miller and a future 1st round draft pick would be great.

You would have a great backcourt in Francis and Miller, and a developing frontcourt in KT or Mo plus EG and Cato. Use the high draft pick (if it isn't traded) for more frontcourt depth. It would also be great if the Rockets could somehow get Rashard Lewis.

Just imagine this team:

PG Miller/Norris
    SG Francis/Torres
    SF Lewis/Morris/Torres
    PF Griffin/Thomas or Taylor/rookie
    C Cato/Willis/Collier

with Glen Rice on IR...Walt will be gone and does it matter about Langhi or Tierre Brown?

Now THAT team will kick some ass!

8. enbehay

enbehay Member

Boy, am I glad CD and Rudy T are in charge of the trades. Any of those listed above really screws the Rockets. The players we have a solid (when healthy), and our #1 packaged with Toronto's #1 will yield another solid player -- maybe even one of the top five prospects. Remember, the Griffin was a #7.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Cleveland would also get draft picks. Plus, as was mentioned in many other threads, about 80 % of all NBA players will score in double digits if you give them enough shots. Fact of the matter is, Cleveland is FAR from winning with their current team. Mo should be the same after his injury, but that is just my personal opinion and it is fair to bring up that it might be questionable, but that would be the Cavs' call to make. Lucas is close enough to Houston to make a guess regarding that.

Sorry, but in my humble opinion, the Rockets will NOT trade Mobley, especially not for a point guard. Period. End of discussion. If you trade Mobley, you break up the team's chemistry and you risk losing Francis. Plus, as has been mentioned a million times, Francis wants to play POINT GUARD and therefore the Rockets will not trade for a stud point guard. So - PLEASE FORGET ABOUT ANDRE MILLER ON THE ROCKETS AND FORGET ABOUT TRADING MOBLEY. In a fantasy world, I would love that, too, I love Andre Miller as a player and I prefer him to Mobley by a mile. But it is not going to happen, so there is no point in constantly bringing it up. I was trying to come up with a REALISTIC trade scenario - with something new, also - and you come back with the same things that have been discussed ad nauseum in the other thread.

Another thing regarding Mobley: Do all of you forget what a bargain he is for the Rockets??? He might make some stupid decisions sometimes, but compare him to Allan Houston, who is getting the freaking MAXIMUM. I would take Mobley over Allan Houston anytime!!! Why trade a great player that you have locked up long-term for a decent salary?? The guy loves Houston, he took a reasonable deal because he wants to stay here - and he performs, no matter how much you criticize him! The guy plays his heart out on bad ankles!! Cat, just concentrate a bit more on defense and avoid some stupid decisions, and you are THE MAN. I suspect anyone who wants to trade him to be a bandwagoner who has no idea, until the opposite is proven ;).

Regarding Rashard: I would also like to get Rashard Lewis, but I have a feeling that that will not happen, plus, I have a feeling that it would be detrimental to team chemistry. I cannot say why, but I don't think the Rockets will go for that. That would have been my alternative scenario, somehow trading Mo and something for Rashard. But I have a feeling that that will not happen.

#9 AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2002
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Another thing

One more thing, as long as you have Cato as the starting center, this team will NOT kick ass. IF he stays, I would love it if he makes me eat crow, but the guy has fooled us too many times in the past and there is something about his overall attitude (with the recent games being an exception) which I just cannot stand. I just don't trust him and don't believe in him. This is the best time to trade him - if there ever was a chance, it is now - let's do it.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You think the one I suggested in this thread screws the Rockets? Care to explain?

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Why do some people like coming up with these fairy tale trades?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because sometimes it's fun to put yourself in the shoes of the GM :). Plus, stranger things have happened.

And, one more thing, I didn't just throw some crap out there that somehow worked in RealGM, I also tried to explain why it could make sense for all teams involved. Perhaps too much to read...especially if your user name used to be Pippen33 ;).

#13 AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2002
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Say what you want about them (they may not always be realistic), but the work that went into that post seems like quite a handful. You must have no life :D. Seriously, though, very well thought out trade, obviously there are problems here and there but when don't they exist. It is a trade that almost certainly would never take place, just due to the large amount of players involved, but I applaud the hard work.

Whereas I realize some of the trades proposed on this board are ridiculous, I love seeing what people can come up with. Also, remember every trade proposed is more than likely going to have the Rockets coming out on top, at least on paper - this IS a Rockets board after all.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hehe...no, I just couldn't sleep! It's almost 5 a.m. here and I had nothing better to do...

16. Manny Ramirez

So, you think that just because Cleveland is not winning right now that they should get rid of some of their better players and go with guys not as good? A low first-round draft pick and a secound round would still not offset the fact that Cleveland is losing 2 pretty good young players in Murray and Miller and a solid shooter in Person plus 2 other veteran players in Stith and Skinner. Van Exel is good but the rest of the players that Cleveland is getting either sucks or questionable due to injury. Making a deal like that is probably a good way of getting your ass fired as the GM of the Cavs. Did you ever think that maybe Cleveland is one player away from being a playoff team with what they have already? Granted if they lose Miller, then maybe they should scrap their team, but if they have any chance of keeping him, they SHOULD not do a deal like this.

You wanted feedback, so I gave it to you. I didn't discuss anything about the Miller-Mobley deal in the WoodlandsBoy thread, so this is the first time that I'm discussing it. Maybe I should have posted that in that thread, but you never said don't talk about trading Mobley plus I think that is more realistic than your proposed deal. Also, a couple of other things: as much as I love the Franchise, he is NOT running this team. I believe the guy wants to make it to the playoffs more than anything, and if he sees that the Rockets have an opportunity to make the team stronger by getting Andre and moving him to the 2 spot, then I would think and hope that he's all for it. If he's not, then I would want the Rockets to get someone who is in to making the team better and not in it for themselves. Another thing - if Francis gets locked up for 7 years, who cares if the team trades Mobley? What is he going to do about it (Francis)? Sit out a year?

So just because you feel that he is underpaid (which he probably is) that he is exempt from criticism?? LMAO!! That is part of being a fan....living and dying with a team through the players. Maybe I'm a Mobley hata, but I will give Cat his props when I think he deserves them. However, to sit there and say to myself, "Cat just took the craziest shot I've ever seen, but that's okay, he is underpaid, he can do whatever, " is ludicrous and something I won't do. If you think that makes me a bandwagoner, then go ahead and think that. I can't control what you think about me, so why worry about it?
    I agree with you on this although I don't see it being detrimental to chemistry unless you know something about Lewis that I don't concerning his attitude. However, it would be a longshot but if we could get Rashard Lewis, that would make us a dangerous team even with a backcourt of Francis and Mobley.

I feel it will be extremely difficult to trade Cato because of his contract. I also feel the same way about Mo Taylor, but I'm hoping that they can keep KT and trade Mo but I don't think that will happen. If Cato finishes out the rest of the season the way he is playing right now, why would we trade him ? It would be foolish to do so, IMO. Also, if you look at that team that I wished for in Francis, Miller, KT, and Lewis, you have 3 and a half (with KT being the half) of pretty good scoring options. We wouldn't really need Cato to be a scoring option, just for him to continue to do what he is doing now.

#16 Manny Ramirez, Feb 2, 2002
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I mentioned that I see Cleveland as the team getting the worst deal of the three teams involved and I would not have come up with this if those news had not come up that Miller wants the max and that Cleveland doesn't want to give it to him. Add the fact that they are not doing well AT ALL and you have the typical situation where teams consider breaking up their team and trying something completely different.

Thanks.

:rolleyes:
    First of all, stupid attitude. Secondly, I am talking about making a deal NOW, and Francis is not locked up for 7 years yet, to the best of my knowledge.

Nobody said that.

In other words, you will act like a bandwagoner - hating him when something goes wrong and "giving him his props" when things go well?

Nobody told you to do that...

Exactly...but even writing a sentence like that seems to indicate that you DO worry about it...way too much...I think NOTHING about you, I am 100 % indifferent.

That's why I tried to come up with a scenario that could actually happen...

The key word here is IF...I just don't think he will. Glad if he proves me wrong (if he stays), but to say it would be "foolish" to trade Cato and somehow get LaFrentz in return... :rolleyes:

Usually, I don't do that...it is obvious that I just did that in this thread because the ideas came after I had already posted...and you are right, I have been here long enough to not need to be told how to post by YOU.

#17 AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2002
  18. Manny Ramirez

Det:

I had edited the last part of my post, but apparently you caught it before I got it out. It was being petty of me, but hey I thought better of it.

We are not getting LaFrentz...deal with it. Besides, he sounds like a player that we don't want to have because he has a questionable attitude. Fair enough on wanting to wait on Cato, but still if he keeps up his level of play, why not keep him.

You act like 6 to 8 points a game and 8 to 10 rebounds a game is not enough from your center. I'll take it considering the fact that the Rockets have such a perimeter-driven offense. You do need role players to be successful, and Cato right now is playing as well as any role player could imagine.

It doesn't really matter when your "proposed deal" would happen...albeit before the season over or in the off-season, it's too unrealistic . Period.

I also fail to see how I'm a bandwagoner for criticizing stupid basketball. I guess me and Dakota and others as well as all the people who tire of the Moochie Norris' dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, f*cking dribble, dribble, etc. are bandwagoners, too?

God, what an idiotic statement. You need a reality check, big-time, pal.

Oh, I do think that you care about things that I say or you wouldn't have said garbage like this:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28298&perpage=30&pagenumber=3

You claim to be a lawyer right? There's some evidence that is damning to your case.

Classic smart-ass response, but not to be unexpected from someone who hasn't learned (like I have) that if you don't like a thread or post, you don't have to respond to it by doing a ":rolleyes: ".

I will say that I'm somewhat impressed that you came up with something that has some substenance other than a :rolleyes: or some other smart-ass response. However, this discusssion has denigrated and is like all your other posts....not worthy of a reply.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry, too late :).

You are probably right on that one, but let's see.

It was not my point to say a certain number of points or rebounds are not enough from a center. Since you brought up LaFrentz' attitude, let me remind you that, except for the last couple of weeks, Cato has not exactly been a role model for great attitude himself.

Probably true, but my personal opinion is that it is actually more realistic than trading Mobley and whatever for Andre Miller.

No, only you. [​IMG]

Haha, looks like I got under little Manny's skin...take it easy and stop acting like a little [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#19 AroundTheWorld, Feb 3, 2002
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry to rack up another post without substenance [​IMG], but I just wanted to ask if you might have meant degenerated...

Peace, brother [​IMG]