1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

another cd burner question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by insideout, Oct 15, 2000.

Tags:
  1. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

i'm trying to burn nba live 2000 for one of my friends.. but it doesn't seem to work normally like an audio cd to cd... the results has files on the cd that's not compatible with windows for some reason.. does anyone know if i need to burn the game to an image then to a regular file or not... ? or what's the correct way to do this..? heh.. even tho it's kinda illegal..

------------------
    barkley for president

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only thing I know on that is that there are two kinds of CDs you can burn to, audio and data. You can't burn a CD that's not audio to an audio CD. You need to get some blank discs that can record data. Maybe you already knew that. Hope that helps.

------------------
    "Democrats want to give people fish. Republicans would rather teach people how to fish." -Charles Barkley

3. rock

rock Member

The Freak is right. Make sure that the CDR that you are using isn't for audio only. Also, what kind of software are you using to burn the cd. I use Easy CD creator. It gives you the option of creating a CD that is most compatible with other CD ROM drives.

------------------

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have him buy his own copy or else sell him yours if he wants his own. I don't mean to get on a soapbox here, but you even acknowledge that what you are doing is illegal. Since you realize it, don't do it.

------------------

5. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

illegal vs. right.. that would be a long discussion eh? anyways, no soapboxes here... [​IMG]

yes, he will get his own copy.. just wanted to know the info for the future. i think there's some sort of encryption on the game.. ah well. i used plextor 2000 manager disc dupe as the program. thanks for the advice everyone.

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

those audio-only cd-rs are no different than the regular, computer ones. the only reason they are more expensive is because part of the money goes to the record companies.

a lot of the commercial cd-roms these days have copy protection that makes them hard to copy. it won't work with most burning software such as a Adaptec EZ CD Creator.

However, there is a shareware program called "CD Clone" that has worked for me. However the shareware version only lets you write 2x, which takes like 40 minutes.

the documentation says it writes in "Raw mode" which I guess is different than how other programs work.

7. nutcake

nutcake Member

Outlaw is right...there is no difference between audio CD blanks and data CD blanks. There are differences after they are burned. Audio CDs are single session and must have a sort of end marker to the session in order to work. anything past that end marker will not be read by an audio CD player. Data CDs don't care about the end marker...which is why you can record computer data past the end marker and get...an enhanced CD!

Some computer programs do have copy protection, though...which is probably the problem.

------------------

8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I suggest taking all the files in your NBA Live directory and copying them to a data disk. That should work or you could try taking the installation/setup program and burning that to the disk. And last, you could make a copy of the disk.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

9. jamma34

jamma34 Member

maybe try a different cd burner program. i have nero and it has a copy cd function, and it makes a mirror copy of the original cd. it works great

------------------
    you are to be praised by gods and revered as women.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There is no difference between "for audio" or "audio" cd's and "regular" cd's except for the fact that the RIAA gets a cut from the sales of "for audio" and "audio" CD's.

------------------
    I got nothin'.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So you can record music onto CDs that aren't labelled 'audio'?

12. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

Well, what the companies do to prevent copying is to purposefully put bad sectors on the disk. When the game loads, it tries to read these sectors and will only run if the read fails. Most CD burner programs automatically attempt to correct these errors. The way around this is to use a program like Nero that has the option to purposeful copy all bad sectors. Then the burnt cd is exactly like the original and the game won't know the difference.

------------------
    I am Jack's raging message.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes. And possibly spend less doing it, too. [​IMG]

For audio I use Verbatim DataLife Plus CD's (bluish dye) and have had no problems.

Oh, and I hope you're happy... I expended my Glorious 2000th Post on you. Haha!

------------------
    I got nothin'.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited October 16, 2000).]