1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Aussie PG... Damian Martin.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

This isn't about the possible MLE signing or trade that brings in a starting PG or first guard off the bench.

I wonder who can or is willing to sign with the Rockets for the minimum knowing they will be the third option behind Terry?. Canaan was traded because he was unhappy over playing time. Even Prigioni requested a trade from the Knicks over the same issue.

The Rockets will need a third string PG who has to be ready to play because of injury concerns. Ready to play, as in a veteran pro player who doesn't need to learn plays (vets will know, all similiar anyway) or learn how to be in a pro team environment.

The combination of minimum contract and role on the team will be the clanger in attaining ready known names. If the bottom of the barrel doesn't look so appealing. Why not look overseas again?

Exum, Mills, & Dellavedova. All the Aussie PG imports are scoring PGs or combo guards.

Delly's defense on Curry has looked more lucky than great. It's more young legs and playing hard 100% of the time. About Australia, why not look there?

Damian Martin won his 5th consecutive DPOY in the Aussie League this season. He's not a spring chicken himself at 30, but I think Martin can play like Prigioni on younger legs. Not a young Prigioni, but the Prigioni we saw this past season on younger legs.

Martin's a traditional PG, ie a good playmaker, but average scorer. He was also the PG on the u20s Australia team that won a World Championship which helped Bogut get selected at no.1.

Throw him an unguaranteed contract and see how his game fits with the team in training camp. I wouldn't bother with Summer League. At worst it would cost the Rockets a partial guarantee of 150k of the 525k rookie minimum. If there's something there great, if not cut him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/frXqh9hUug0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VpGmS0omJuc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nLkFdeDAh_g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8mgc4LuPsrI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Garner

Garner Member

Aussie PGs are so hot right now.

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

There's a russian in the finals too. We should get russian PG. Oh wait, we had. Shved. How did that go?

4. basketballholic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4SF18q0uHTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do Aussies have street cred all of a sudden.... play harder than everyone else

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hardly agree with Stephen A. Smith but I do on this... if Dellevedova or any of these other aussie point guards was not playing with Lebron or playing on the Knicks are something they would be really irrelevant.

7. basketballholic

That's true for 90% of the players in the league.

But...without players like Dellavedova Lebron ain't winning anything.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What we really need is an African American point forward like LeBron.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Lmao! Exactly.

That's the real point Steve A Smith is trying to make.:eek:

Steven A is such a suck up to his "Homies" or "Connections" its embarrassing.

Atleast I haven't heard Carmelo's name coming out of his mouth recently.

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Delly is Gary Neal. He can Rock it on Spurs but once he goes elsewhere he's borderline shait.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I love his stand up comedy. I can't believe his show on Comedy Central was cancelled. It had potential.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Need more knee-jerk threads based on a player's nationality.

13. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I love Damian and what he brings to my Perth Wildcats but he'll be no good in the NBA dude.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

LOL that Warriors D league team has youtube sensation Kiwi Gardener!

15. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Mills with Spurs?
    But the comment alone could be extended to the rest of the Cavs entire team.

I'm an Aussie and really proud of what Delly has done and wish him all the success he's getting. But this is Linsanity part 2. Maybe a different name though - possibly Delly Belly? (Well maybe not.).

16. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Damian Martin is a good veteran in the NBL (Aussie League) and respect the guy BUT...

I've never EVER seen an Aussie player go from the NBL straight to the NBA. It never happens. If an Aussie is actually good enough to play in the NBA he would have done one of 2 things:
    1. Be good enough when younger to play at an American college and prove himself to be too good to play in the NBL. Gets drafted or at least signs (as undrafted) after college. (eg. Bogut/Mills/Exum/Delly)
    2, Proves to be good enough (either in NBL or College) to sign with a European team. Continues to improve to the point that he is signed by an NBA team (eg. Joe Ingles, Aaron Baynes, David Andersen). Haha had to throw in Andersen there.

Anyway, the point is this... Damian Martin has never been good enough to get noticed by a European team. He's never played in Europe, which is clearly a higher level of competition to the NBA. If he can't crack Europe, how could he crack into the best league in the world?

He simply isn't good enough. DPOY in Australia doesn't mean much when you are defending chumps. The speed of the game in the NBL is so slow. Martin is hard and gritty, but he is nowhere near quick enough to keep up in the NBA, even as a 3rd stringer.

17. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Fixed.. Should be NBL that Euroleague is better than lol.

18. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

Pretty sure Patty Mills stole the spotlight last year playing without LeBron?

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hahahaha.

The fact this was a serious thought is hilarious

20. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

Playing NCAA basketball doesn't make you too good for the NBL?
    Many, Many Australian professional players went to college first, and did very well.

There are good players outside of the NBA, you know.