1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another 3 team trade proposal: Don't read if you don't like trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Just kidding.:D Here goes:

Houston sends Cato/Moochie to NY.
    Houston sends Taylor/Mobley to Minnesota.

NY sends Thomas/Sprewell/Ward to Houston.
    NY sends Knight/rights to Sweetney to Minnesota.

Minnesota sends Szcerzbiak/Brandon/rights to Ndudi Ebi to NY.

NY gets a legitimate starting center in Cato, a starting SF in Szcerzbiak (He's been wanting to go there for some time), Brandon (He's reportedly going to retire), whose retirement will give them some significant ($11.1 mill) cap relief, a HS phenom that could help them in the future, & a backup PG that comes cheaper than their other PG's. With McDyess, Sweetney, Thomas, Lampe, Othella, & Weatherspoon, NY is overloaded at PF. Somebody has to go.

Minnesota gets a starting PF in Taylor or Sweetney, with the other one providing good depth. They get a SG in Mobley, whom they can rotate with Cassell, Hudson, & Strickland (if they resign him), which gives them a lethal guard combination, & they get Knight's expiring $4.4 million contract. This trade eliminates NY as a bidder for Nesterovic's services, gets Brandon's salary off the books, while netting them some replacement talent that can help them now. They can then move Garnett to SF & have a much improved team with depth at every position.

Houston gets a legitimate starting PF in KT (talk about the irony :D ) while moving Taylor's contract, a solid starting & defensive minded SG in Sprewell, & a very good/tough backup PG in Ward. Ward's contract expires after this upcoming year & both Sprewell(player option after this upcoming year)/Thomas's(team option after this upcoming year) contracts expire in 2 years. Thus, making us a serious contender in the 05/06 FA market. I know that Spree's been a headcase, but he plays tough & I believe that some of his actions show a strong desire to win & a lot of frustration with those that don't play with the same intensity. However, that's just my opinion.

So, our new lineup would be:

C: Ming/FA(Elden Campbell, Drobnjak, Zo, Stepania)/Collier?
    PF: Thomas/Griffin
    SF: Posey/Nachbar/Rice
    SG: Sprewell/Piatkowski and/or Barry/Hawkins
    PG: Francis/Ward

Or, we could try a more simple trade like this:

Houston sends Cato/Moochie to NY.

NY sends Thomas/Knight to Houston.

#1 Hottoddie, Jul 4, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2003
  2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Cassell was just on Fox26 Sports saying that the Timberwolves were working on a trade for a big man that would "shock the world". I don't think he was talking about Mo Taylor!

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

whoa, I like it. This is funny because Sam Cassell was just on local fox sports here in Houston and he said Minnesota needs one more trade to get one more big guy, a trade that would shock the world. Did anybody else catch that?

4. ron413

Yeah, read above. That is old news :)

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Guess ron413 caught that too. :)

I dont want to get too far off topic, but ron413, are you sure he said Minnesota was working on a trade for another big guy or that "he" would like to trade for another big guy -a trade that would shock the world?

6. ron413

I dont know exactly, Sam mumbles alot. But I thought I heard words that sounded like he was bragging that he knew something was in the works, you know...

7. Hottoddie

Brian Grant for Terrell Brandon would shock the world. That trade would give Minnesota a legitimate starting PF & Brandon's pending retirement would give Miami even more cap space to pursue FA's. Hmmmm.....

8. Hottoddie

Perhaps he was hinting that Juwan Howard is going to sign with them. Here's an article that lends validity to that line of thinking.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/3971189.html

Dan Barreiro: Wolves, Howard would make a nice fit
    Dan Barreiro, Star Tribune

Published July 4, 2003 DANB04

Like a late-arriving tornado, Sam Cassell eventually hit town Wednesday, and quickly bent a few trees.

In the space of about 45 minutes, he pontificated, flexed, lobbied, analyzed and cajoled.

He expected to start. He expected the structured Wolves to let Sammy be Sammy. He not only wants to please Kevin Garnett by getting him the ball, he wants to challenge him.

He believes the Wolves could use an athletic shooting guard or swingman, not exactly news in these parts, but hardly a ringing endorsement of Wally Szczerbiak.

And he apparently believes it would be nice to have Juwan Howard as a new teammate. Before blowing back out of town, Cassell placed at least one recruiting call to Howard, the free agent power forward, saying Howard's future should be in the Upper Midwest.

Wolves fans soon might have to become reacquainted with one of the least flashy, but most dependable, members of the University of Michigan's Fab Five. The Wolves are seriously wooing Howard, who is listening intently. Three other teams -- the Lakers, Magic and Pistons -- reportedly are also in the mix.

Howard's wife is from Florida. The Pistons play in Michigan, where Howard played in college. The Lakers are, of course, the Lakers.

Though the Wolves do not have any of those obvious advantages, they also reportedly are very much in the mix, and might even have the inside track. Sources say Howard is still very interested in Minnesota, and not just because Cassell is working the phones.

Howard is intrigued by the possibility of playing alongside Garnett. That means every night, Howard could enjoy the luxury of being guarded by the other team's second-best defender.

Last season, as a member of the woeful Denver Nuggets, Howard averaged 18.4 points and 7.6 rebounds. Go to any of several hundred Web sites devoted to NBA gossip, and Howard's name is often viewed as on of the most attractive. ESPN's Web site refers to him as "one of the most coveted free-agent bargains of 2003."

This is amazing stuff for a fellow who through most of his career has been known as one of the league's biggest busts.

It's all about perception.

As long as Howard was making the kind of contract the Wizards gave him seven years ago -- $105 million over seven years -- he was always going to be classified as vastly overrated. He was getting star money, yet most assuredly was not a star.

Yet, with a contract with the Wolves that would start at less than $5 million a season, the very same player suddenly is viewed as an overachiever and a bargain.

That's why this dramatic cut in pay could be the best thing that ever happened to him. It could allow Howard to transform his image, and more importantly allow him to be what he probably was all along on a good team: An unusually skilled, top-drawer role player.

Any team that tries to make him a first or second option is going to be sorely disappointed. Howard is not dazzling nor particularly athletic, yet the Wolves are convinced that within a team concept in which the burden is not on him, his fundamentally sound game could flourish.

He is only 30 years old. Unlike Joe Smith, he is durable, having missed only seven games over the past four seasons. Most experts would classify Smith as a better defender, though the Wolves believe Howard to be the superior rebounder who could take some of the heat off Garnett in that area.

The Wolves also believe Howard could force opponents to pay if they devote too much attention to Garnett. Howard has a good shooting touch, can score with his back to the basket, and is known as a solid, no-nonsense team player who will not chafe in a complementary role.

That hardly befits a player who averaged $15 million a season in his last contract.

Howard is the perfect example of a how a player can hit the jackpot in a lucrative NBA market, yet take a pounding as a result. During the 1994 draft, Howard was taken with the fifth pick in round one. (The Wolves selected Donyell Marshall just ahead of Howard.)

A couple years later, after exercising an escape clause in his contract, Howard was the object of an escalating bidding war between the Wizards and Heat. After the Heat deal was ruled illegal by the league, Howard ended up with a seven-year deal for $105 million.

At the time, it was the kind of signing that suggested Howard was a savior. He wasn't, as Wizards fans reminded him through most of seven seasons. He was then traded to the Mavericks, who then dealt him to the Nuggets. By then, his value was in the high salary cap number his contract represented.

What the Wolves now hope is that if they can sign him to a much more reasonable deal, Howard can be viewed once again as a player, not a commodity.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Nah, that wouldn't shock the world, in terms of big men, Garnett for Shaq would shock the world.

Kobe wants to leave so Kupchuck trades Shaq, and gets KG, who is a harder worker and better teammate than Shaq.

Shaq loved Elden Campbell, and with a starting lineup including Sam Cassell, Wally Sczerbiak and Troy Hudson the Wolves would consider themselves formidable against Kobe, Karl, Gary and company.

10. harumph

harumph Member

sam always likes to talk... going to be interesting to see what happens.

back to the original thread topic...

the prob i have w the trade is that we would become "NY, Texas" - we already have their ex-coach, assistants & franchise player. They're loosing for a reason, and in the east...

I also doubt Min would give up the rights to their rookie

11. SLA

SLA Member

OKay. Why is Sam Cassell telling us this?!? Weird........nothing about the Houston Rockets on Local Fox Sports news? :( No action. I guess our players aren't that involved or care much...

LOL. I love the simple trade. I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT!

But to the big big trade...

Steve Francis/Charlie Ward
    Latrell Sprewell/James Posey/Hawkins
    James Posey/Bostjan Nachbar/Glen Rice
    Kurt Thomas/Eddie Griffin/Malick Badiane
    Yao Ming/STEPANIA or NESTEROVIC or BLUNT/Badiane
    All right. Our team would be too good. Too nice. Too much of a dream. I wish. Cat equals Sprewell. Moochie equals Ward. Taylor and Cato equal Kurt Thomas...I guess.

Brandon or Moochie
    Houston
    Szcerzbiak
    Kaman or McDyess/Othella
    Cato
    DAARN good team to me. McDyess can still play I believe...he'll just miss training camp. That's great for them. They lose Kurt Thomas and Latrell Sprewell...but get Wally and Terrell and Cato. They lose Ward...but get Moochie. They lose crappy Travis Knight and #9 pick Sweetney who should be intriguing...but they get a great guy with a lot of potential named NBDUBI EBI!!! Man. Fair trade to me. Also...they get cap relief maybe. And they finally get rid of Spreeeeee!

Hudson
    Cassell
    Mobley
    Garnett
    Taylor
    Nesterovic
    They lose Wally...but get Mobley. They lose Brandon...but get Taylor. They lose Ebi....for crap Knight and #9 pick Sweetney.
    They have one extremely extremely small lineup. But heh...very fast and quick. VERY VERY MOBILE. Garnett with 3 perimeter shooters. Just awesome. And if they can add a rebounder inside......AWESOME....would be a great team maybe....shoot lights out and run all day.

#11 SLA, Jul 5, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hottoddie, work out a 3-way with the Wizards and Miami. The former will have 7 million in cap space, the latter (thanks, Anthony Carter: dumb dumb dumb dumb) will have 11 mil.

13. Hottoddie

Who do you want?:D

14. SLA

SLA Member

I would like to request a trade proposal. :D

A trade with Houston, the Clippers, and Heat.

With Houston getting at least Elton Brand.

And Eddie Griffin and Cuttino Mobley probably being traded.

Just do it!

"Every rumbling about a trade involving the Rockets has been for a premiere power forward. There's a guy on another web site who swears he's an insider, family friend of someone close to the organization, says we're gonna 3-way with Miami and LAC and wind up with Brand.

That would cost us at least Cat and EG; and some sort of trade makes sense for the 3 teams (LAC = cheap, Rox = need better PF/wanna make big splash, Miami = roster-starved).

Miami and LAC have the cap space. It could happen.

He's the same guy who posted before the draft and had the trade removed because his insider didn't want to see it there.

Do I believe him? I hope it's true. You can always sign a Jon Barry or the like with the MLE. But one man's WMD's are another man's empty storage container, y'know?"