1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Android] Official Amazon Free App of the Day Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Nero

Nero Member

I have not seen a thread for this yet, and it really seems there should be one.

It would be nice to have a thread here where we can give a heads-up and even our reviews/opinions of the daily offerings.

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=sa_menu_adr_app4?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

Amazon Android App Store - Free App of the Day

Amazon has been doing this for a little while now, and once I got into the habit of checking it every day, it has been extremely nice to get some really good paid apps for free. And you just need an Amazon account and of course an Android device.

For example, Chuzzle, Plants vs Zombies, 3D Pool, Chalk Ball, Air Control, Evernote, Random Factor Mahjong (AMAZING quality game by the way) Abduction 2, Enjoy Sudoku, and lots lots more. Some really good/useful utilities too.

Yeah, there have been some stinkers, but they are all free. For some reason I did skip the 'Learn to Salsa Dance' videos app though.. lol

Anyway, today's free app is: (06/10/2011) 'My Paper Plane 2' - 3D plane-flying game, uses the movement of the device in order to move the plane. So far looks pretty fun.

I do have a quick question for anyone else who may be using this daily service: Does anyone know if your purchase on the Amazon App Store acts the same as buying something off of XBox Live? I mean, my EVO is starting to run out of space, and I don't want to just start uninstalling programs willy-nilly. If you buy an app from Amazon, does that let you 're-buy' it again at no charge onto that same phone/account? The same way XBox Live does? Does that make sense as a question?

Thanks, and have fun guys :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Yeah the app is tied to your Amazon/Google account so you can redownload it to your phone.

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Its saved/linked to your Amazon account. I have a Droid X and Samsung Tablet and have both linked to my account. When I get a app off of one device, I can login to my other device and its there waiting for me to download. Even if I don't go to my tablet for a few days, the free app i got 2 days ago is still there for me to download.

The first 2 weeks had awesome free progs (ad free Angry Birds Rio, Shazam Encore, Soundhound Premium, WaveLauncher, Backbreaker Football) but has gone downhill since.

1 person likes this.
  4. edjunkie

edjunkie Member

great idea for a thread

great idea for a thread. I check the free app everyday and often find some good free stuff

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, I find it hard to complain because it is free after all....but the quality of programs has seriously gone down. Still, they seem to release a winner program every 5-7 days.

6. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I got Plants vs. Zombies about a week ago but everything since has been crap. Step it up, Amazon!

7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

8. Nero

Nero Member

Free App Sunday 6/12

'Grow'

yet another fish game, where the object is to eat those fishies littler than you and not be eaten by the ones bigger.

The graphics are nice, and the game play WOULD be fun, at least as fun as every other iteration of this game that has been produced over the years..

HOWEVER, once again, just like in the disastrous Pac Man game which hit the free app spot a few days back, the control scheme destroys the game play.

You have two choices: use a 'virtual joystick' (which NEVER works, in ANY game, why do they keep trying that? FAIIL!), or, slightly better, lead the fish where you want him to go, by pointing to a spot ahead of him, and sort of dragging/leading him there.

This control mechanic WOULD work, except for the same problem which always dooms this kind of control on a touch-pad game: YOUR FREAKING HAND IS BLOCKING THE SCREEN! You cannot play if you cannot see what you are doing!

The solution to this problem would be simple, and it is a mystery as to why the developer of this game didn't think of it: USE THE TILT FUNCTION GUYS! It would work, and with this particular game, it would actually be FUN!

Overall, 2/10 (but if they update it with a better control mechanic, this it could be a 7/10 or so)

Bleah

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

PM me if you want Pandora with unlimited skipping. I'll send you the .apk
    you don't have to be rooted, i signed the .apk

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Not sure when this came out...but I just noticed a new Angry Birds Rio update (Carnival Upheaval). Time to become less productive for a day or so.

11. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Pandora gets charged by the record labels for the # of songs they play, and they're already losing money for offering a great (free) product. I think the least you can do is to use it according to their rules.

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

meh,

anyone want the stock android email client with exchange security disabled for those of you whose employers have strict exchange policies?

13. Nero

Nero Member

06/21/2011

Free Amazon App of the Day

PEGGLE !

Yes, the third Popcap game, totally free today only on Amazon.

Be warned, it is a WiFi-only download.

And yes, it is awesome, just like Chuzzle and the amazingly-good Plants-vs-Zombies.

Enjoy!