1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrew Wiggins Vs. Jabari Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SK34, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dBQ90qJVOCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. SK34

SK34 Member

HE has impressed thus far.

KDs Tweets..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ns-is-all-star-and-jabari-parker-is-real-deal

Kevin Durant called Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins: "1A and 1b." KD called Parker "the real deal" and Wiggins a future AllStar & HOFer. - Marc J Spears

A reflective Kevin Durant weighs in on Kansas' Andrew Wiggins: "He's raw right now, but he could be a Hall of Famer. An All-Star for sure." - Sam Amick

People said that before his draft, too. But it turns out you can. RT @sam_amick Durant says you can't go wrong (with Wiggins or Parker). - Brian Mahoney Replies to Sam Amick.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jabari Parker is going to be a superstar. He's a man playing in a boy's league.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TDVCEDrHPlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. CertifiedTroll

He is mor than a man.

5. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

After watching the Wiggin vs Parker show, I have to say Parker is the real deal as KD puts it. He already has what it takes to succeed in NBA from day one. His arsenal of offensive weapons is unmatched in college right now and he has good court vision & a good team player. He can score at will with range or inside. He can rebound and assist. He has the size and talent to compete in NBA. Wiggin is super athletic but a bit raw. But NBA is full of athletic bigs so I don't know if he can score well like he does in college right now. He needs to develop more go to shots or moves to dominate the next level. Randle is dominating right now among boys. But again, NBA is loaded with bigs who have more size than him. So will have to wait and see his future development. They all have great potential, but Parker has already proven a sure star in NBA with his complete skill set. He is going to be a Melo/KD/Pierce type of player and will be a franchise player for his team for sure.

6. AXG

AXG Member

Parker is much more NBA ready. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes first.

7. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

X2. He should help a lottery club immediately instead of waiting for development and he already has skill comparable to some of the stars out there. So it won't surprise any one if a lottery GM will make him #1.

8. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Another definite plus is his character. Being a devout Mormon who has impressed most everyone who has met him, a club shouldn't have to worry the off court issue of this prized lottery player. He also has demonstrated to be a fierce competitor and a proven winner in HS, leading his team to 4 consecutive state championship. These are invaluable intangible assets to consider when drafting him.

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

some people said Paul Pierce.. i agree

but seeing that quick two dribble euro right off his left foot righty layup made me think hes like a pierce/harden hybrid.. it was from 10-12 ft out, crazy.

10. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

no his first step is his left, then right, and he finishes right.. more impressive.

that 1 on 3 fastbreak dunk in the east carolina highlights is insane

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Parker seems to be a great player and a great human being.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At this point, I see Parker being Melo on the floor, with a chance to go beyond him.

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Melo/Pierce vs Gay/Marion

14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

No one gives a damn about Mormons. First of all they are heretical and this is about basketball not religion.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[rquoter]During the 2013 NBA draft, fans and draft reporters alike sat waiting, wondering who the Cleveland Cavaliers would take with the No. 1 pick.

When Anthony Bennett's name was announced, an already odd draft got just a little odder. Six players had been mentioned as possible No. 1 picks. Nerlens Noel and Alex Len got the most publicity, but Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter, Ben McLemore and Bennett all had a shot.

It was the most wide-open draft I've ever been a part of and generated an enormous amount of both curiosity and angst in the days leading up to the draft.

This year, it was supposed to be easy.

Andrew Wiggins, the most hyped freshman to come into college basketball since Greg Oden and Kevin Durant in 2007, was to be quickly anointed as the next NBA superstar.

But a funny thing happened over the summer. More and more scouts started to hedge. Wiggins had yet to play a game. He wasn't doing anything particularly wrong (despite a few reports that he wasn't practicing or scrimmaging as hard as he could). What happened was Julius Randle, Jabari Parker and a little-known prospect from Australia, Dante Exum, all having the summers (and early falls) of their lives.

By tipoff night on Nov. 8, the unanimity surrounding Wiggins was waning. Minutes after the Champions Classic in Chicago on Nov. 12, the consensus was obliterated.

Now the hottest question in front offices around the NBA?

Who do you take No. 1?

Front offices faced a similar question in the past draft, but with a very different tone. In 2013, no one looked like a worthy No. 1 pick in the draft. This season, four players appear to be in strong consideration for that spot.

Over the past week, Insider talked to multiple scouts or executives from almost every team in the NBA in an effort to determine what they would do with the No. 1 pick. While most NBA scouts and GMs initially were inclined to take a wait-and-see attitude and use rankings like "1A" and "1B", I kept pressing. If the draft were held today (which thankfully it is not) who would go No. 1?

Here's what I learned:

1. Andrew Wiggins, SG, Fr., Kansas Jayhawks (17 votes)
    Wiggins has been experiencing a backlash of sorts over the past few months. Reports that he was the third-best player in Kansas' practices combined with growing concerns that he might not have the killer drive or skill set to dominate right away began floating around. Typically, teams want a player with the No. 1 pick who can make an immediate impact on the floor. Was Wiggins really the guy?

He's really destabilized the doubters in his first three games for the Jayhawks. Not only does Wiggins look the part physically and athletically, his performance on the court has been absolutely stellar. Through Monday, Wiggins is averaging 19 PPG, 5.5 RPG and shooting 58 percent from the field.

While those numbers aren't as strong as those of Randle and Parker, there's more to it than meets the eye. Wiggins is playing a very controlled game on offense. He's scoring within the flow of the game and isn't trying to dominate the basketball. While Randle and Parker are clearly options 1, 2 and 3 offensively for Kentucky and Duke, respectively, Kansas coach Bill Self isn't running every play for Wiggins. In addition, Wiggins already has proved to be an athletic, lockdown defender who can guard multiple positions on the floor. Frankly, it's that part of his game that is tipping the scale toward Wiggins for many scouts.

"I think he can be a player that plays a lot like Paul George does," one veteran NBA executive told ESPN.com. "He's so smooth that at times it almost looks like he's coasting. But when you watch closer, you just see the game comes so easy to him. With his length and explosiveness, he's going to be able to do whatever he wants once he gets it. And from everything we can gather in looking into his background, he's going to get it. I'm not sure how we could pass on him if we had the No. 1 pick. The other guys might be more ready right now, but in three years, I think he's the best player in this class."

2. Julius Randle, PF, Fr., Kentucky Wildcats (10 votes)
    Randle became Wiggins' strongest challenger this summer after scouts walked out of the Nike Hoop Summit and Kentucky practices blown away. Randle has kept the momentum going, averaging 20.5 points, 14.3 rebounds on 62 percent shooting in his first four games.

He's the prototypical NBA 4 -- blessed with size, strength, athleticism and an offensive arsenal of tools that allow him to score from anywhere on the floor. Combine that with Randle's amped-up demeanor and his demand to touch the ball every time down the floor and there's just so much to get excited about.

If you are looking for a player who can be both a low-post scorer and a stretch 4, I'm not sure a better big-man prospect has come along in years. He can be overly aggressive at times (and thus has a penchant for turnovers) but there's very little to criticize about his game other than the fact that in high school, he fell in love with his jump shot and too often stayed out of the paint. That really hasn't been a problem at Kentucky so far.

Besides, most GMs are pretty risk averse when it comes to drafting No. 1. Randle looks like such a sure thing ... how many GMs will stray away from safe?

"I think he's the surest thing in the draft," one GM said. "There's nothing he can't do and there just aren't that many bigs in the NBA with that set of skills. He's going to be a 10-time All-Star and will make a major impact on your team in Year 1. Wiggins might have a little more upside and [Parker] is so attractive as well, but if you take someone else, you're really risking your job."

3. Jabari Parker, SF, Fr., Duke University (9 votes)
    As a junior, it was Parker who was supposed to be the consensus No. 1 pick in the draft. But an injury after his junior year combined with Wiggins having a stellar summer and reclassifying led to a bit of a Jabari fallout. Scouts questioned whether he had a position in the NBA. As he struggled to get back into shape, scouts wondered aloud if he had the athleticism to be an elite player. He led all U.S. scorers at the Nike Hoop Summit with 22 points, but was just 1-for-9 from 3.

Three weeks into the season, the bandwagon is starting to get really crowded again. Parker has just wowed, averaging 22.8 PPG, 8.2 RPG and shooting nearly 60 percent from the field and almost 67 percent from 3-point range in four games. His amazing 27-point performance against Kansas (especially that 19-point first half) caused the scouts in the NBA to rethink their position on Parker.

For starters, there isn't a player at his size in college basketball with his basketball IQ with the possible exception of Creighton's Doug McDermott. He plays like he could start at every position on the floor. He attacks the game with a quiet confidence, can score from everywhere, and now that he's finally healthy, he looks like he's more athletic than he's been given credit for.

"I absolutely love him," a different NBA GM said. "I love guys who just know how to play. Very few players at Jabari's age are so sophisticated about the game. You see how he's reading the floor and how he's thinking the game and you can't help but get excited. I remember when some guys were wringing their hands about Kevin Durant. Does he play defense? Is he an elite athlete? I just saw a killer out there who would do anything to win. I see that in Jabari. Some will worship Wiggins' athleticism. Some will pray to the altar of 'big' with Randle. But Parker's my guy and I don't see that changing."

4. Dante Exum, PG, Australia (3 votes)
    Don't forget about Exum. This summer, he was the apple of every NBA scout's eye and was really the first guy to get buzz as a possible contender to Wiggins' hold on the No. 1 pick. It started with a stellar performance off the bench for the World Team at the Nike Hoop Summit and then carried over to a riveting performance in the FIBA Under-19 Championships.

What NBA scouts saw in Exum was a 6-foot-6 guard who could play the 1 and the 2 and seemingly had the perfect blend of athleticism and skill. He is very quick with the ball and gets to the rim pretty effortlessly. His jump shot is still a work in progress, but that might be the only real weakness in his game.

Unfortunately for Exum, he can't compete on the same stage with Wiggins, Randle and Parker. He's finishing up high school in Australia in December and after that he has some pretty big decisions to make. Sources say that Exum and his family are leaning strongly toward him skipping college and declaring for the 2014 draft. Whether he decides to play professionally in Australia or just start working out in preparation for the draft is still up in the air. Can he keep NBA scouts' attention if Wiggins, Randle and Parker keep putting on a show every night in college basketball?

"I know everyone is so excited to see Jabari and those guys dominate," a fourth GM told ESPN. "I know the old guard is going to play it safe. But maybe I'm young and foolish, but I think Exum ends up being the guy everyone wishes they took in a few years. All of them are going to be great, but when you watch Exum, you see the ability to be a generational talent. My owner might kill me, but I think you take Exum, regardless of what the other guys do this year. Exum's already proved it to me."[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  16. NotChandlerParsons

"Besides, most GMs are pretty risk averse when it comes to drafting No. 1"

Yeah...wait what?

17. dmoneybangbang

Lot of pressure of getting it right.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Jabari can ball. Check out the alley-oop at 1:15.

[youtube]1lT0NSkpzag[/youtube]

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

sigh a real superstar, imagine him on the Rockets instead of the no defense playing ref-baiter currently wearing 13