1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrew Bynum - not interested in Magic, could be interested in Houston in 2013?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 8, 2012.

1. brooksssss

brooksssss Member

If the rockets would have made the crazy Dragic offer and kept Lowry, we would never have the chance to go after a guy like Bynum and another free agent like Paul in 2013FA. Morey is quietly rebuilding without tanking and this could be the only season where it looks like a tank job, but after the season.

* Martin and his useless contract are gone
    * All 3 first rounders have a year under their belt
    * DMO gets mentored by Scola for a year, before Scola gets shipped at deadline
    * Parsons works on his offensive game
    * 3 more first rounders in 2013 if the stars align
    * offer Bynum and Paul max or near max

Bynum/Asik 23 mil
    DMO/T Jones/Patterson 6 mil
    Parsons/White/Morris 6 mil
    Lamb/1st rounder 2013 4 mil
    Paul/1st rounder 2013 20 mil

Morey could look genius this free agency with none of the 2,3,4 players making much more than 2 mill per year.

If Cap issues become relevant, then you can trade Asik for relief and use your stock of draft picks to replace.

Morey knows what he is doing, just really needed the ability to sign max contracts and could not do it these past few years with Scola and Martin.

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're right, except your focusing on bad stats. You keep pointing out total blocks as if it makes sense to compare the two. It doesn't - unless you are trying to make the point that Bynum is injured a lot, which is a much easier point to make - you just say he's injured a lot, cause he is.

Cause Bynum has been a consistently better shot blocker than Lopez. He averages 2.2 blocks per 36 minutes for his career, which is Lopez's best season. Bynum's had 3 seasons at 2.5/36 or higher. Outside of Lopez's rookie year, his best block production year, he is more like 1.5 - 1.7 blocks/ 36 minutes.

Bynum is a consistently better rebounder. That's really not arguable. Bynum is a meaningfully more efficient scorer. Lopez's true shooting percentage, which factors in foul shots and 3 point shots (though not important for these two), hovers around or below 55%. Bynum's hovers around 60%. Neither are great passers.

Basically, if you want to use stats to compare the two - great! Stats prove Bynum to be the better player, offensively and defensively.

That said, you CAN look beyond stats, and gain valuable insight. Blake Griffin puts up great stats, but if judging him offensively, it's important to note how he scores, and if he can or can't be a go-to player offensively in the 4th quarter, etc. Andrew Bynum has legitimate post-up moves, a solid back to the basket game and is a guy you could feed the ball to time after time after time.

1 person likes this.
  4. TebowTime

TebowTime Member

Other than a "source", who says LAL or LAC will let Bynum or Paul walk for nothing after next season. They're gonna be able to offer those players the most money and a better future currently. I don't remember the last time a big name FA joined the Rockets.

5. Garner

Garner Member

Would be thrilled to see Bynum on this team. arguably the best or second best Center in the league.

Explain to me how that is not exactly what this team needs?

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

7. Trackball

Trackball Member

@teebone21: AAAAH! NO! GET IT AWAY!

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can't get over the fact that somebody wants to be in Cleveland. That entire city must've just fainted.

1 person likes this.
  9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know that the Lakers will be way over the tax but having just signed Nash, I think they want to give this group at least 2 more years before they blow it up. So I don't see them letting Bynum go until they see this through - unless they trade him for Howard. I think Bynum is just blowing smoke to Orlando like Dwight did to the Rockets using the Rocket massive cap space next year as a tool to keep him a Laker.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I haven't a clue as to whether we could end up with Bynum, but healthy, he's on a much different level than Lopez. I don't think it's close. The problem, as you pointed out, is can he stay healthy long term and play a meaningful number of games the next 5 years, and a meaningful number of minutes. That's the kicker, and we would have to have Bynum suffer through an incredibly intrusive physical before committing to him. This injury business with our star players has gotten beyond tiresome. We went to the third level of Hell with Yao and McGrady.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think if Bynum comes, he'll re-sign. The whole "he won't pass up $30mil" thing is a certainty with Bynum, but only likelihood with Howard.

This does seem like a 3-way trade that someone mentioned earlier may indeed come into fruition. Of course, in this situation, Houston better not be trading away as much stuff as a 2-way deal. Mainly because this creates less leverage for Orlando.

12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Exactly. It's great to have a backup plan in case they can't convince Dwight to stay.

13. Garner

Garner Member

Truly incredible indeed.

14. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Would anyone trade for Bynum right now?

15. ejarts

ejarts Member

he respects how Houston players play hard regardless of who the opponent is. he saw how that was enough to beat them and OKC. and possibly learning from Hakeem. so awesome. we can actually have both bynum AND Howard.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Get Bynum now in a 3 way for d12

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Maybe, unlike the reports of Howard, Bynum wants to continue the tradition of big men in Houston, from Moses to Hakeem to Yao, and now, to Bynum.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hooray for being used as leverage! It's been a while since a potential UFA has used the Rockets to bid up their price. (Hey, it's a step up from "I will NOT play for Houston," right?)

19. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

So what's your definition of a defensive center? Blocks and Rebounds? Cause the guy who first disputed my stance said Lopez plays no defense. Call me stupid but 414 total blocks in 3 seasons and five games is defensive too me.

Samuel Dalembert is known as a defensive center right? His total blocks since 08-09 season til now ( year that Brook Lopez came in the league) is 511 and he played all four of those seasons so if Brook Lopez would have played this last season through they would prolly be tied or Brook Lopez would have more. So my argument was to the guy that said Lopez doesn't play defense and others trying to make me sound idiotic cause the numbers are matching even defensive minded centers!!!

20. HombreDeHierro

Houston and Cleveland...

Two seemingly "boring" places. Maybe Bynum is trying to grow up and is looking for a place without many distractions.