1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson named Offensive Player of the Month

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The_Dream, Nov 29, 2012.

1. The_Dream

The_Dream Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>AFC Offensive Player of the Month @<a href="https://twitter.com/johnson80">johnson80</a> had 35 catches for 614 yards in November. He averaged 153.5 yards a game!</p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/274200140057821184" data-datetime="2012-11-29T17:16:22+00:00">November 29, 2012</a></blockquote>

Pretty awesome for him. He's been killing it these last few games and hopefully, he'll be able to keep it up.

Here's an article from the official site on it: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...he-Month/d56403cd-e817-4893-81ca-8d618de0dbb1

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well deserved honor for one of the greatest to ever play. Houston loves you, Andre. Keep shining.

[​IMG]

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

So much for over the hill.

Stay healthy Andre!!!

The guy i feel really bad for is fitzgerald. He hasnt had an nfl qb throw to him all year.

4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

He should come on over to Houston then, we got a QB that can throw to him. :cool:

5. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

This season probably seals his ticket to the HOF. Congrats Andre! :)

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

His meal ticket for the HOF will be getting very close to, if not eclipsing, 20K receiving yards.

There's a huge gap between the 2nd place guy (around 15K) and the 1st place guy (22k or so).

If AJ can start sniffing 20K, he will be hard to ignore on the ballot.

His lack of national appeal or exposure is going to seriously hurt him, though, because the voters are guys like Peter King.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he retires today he probably wouldn't make the HOF.

The list of names ahead of him on the receiving list is pretty extensive and full of guys that are not in. He also doesn't have big touchdown numbers and he didn't play on a winning team for the majority of his career.

He'll need his career to continue for a while yet if he is to make the HOF. Let's say he finishes this year around 1100 yards for his career. He'd still be 26th or so on the list behind stalwarts (non hall of famers lol) like Keenan McCardell, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason, Mushin Muhammed, Jimmy Smith, etc. These are all contemporaries so it will be hard to argue him over those guys.

He needs at least 3 more really productive years (1000+ yards receiving) and then a few regular years before he starts moving into the comfort zone of electability.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Much deserved.

Hope he can be this productive come January.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's been tearing it up the last few weeks. Pretty amazing where he is at it terms of yardage considering he had a couple of games with next to nothing.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You are forgetting that just about everyone on that list has played more years than Andre Johnson.

He's 2nd all time in receiving yards per game for a career. Behind Calvin Johnson.

#10 tallanvor, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. The_Dream

The_Dream Member

Do you guys think 14000 yards and 75 TD's can get him into the HOF? That's around what James Lofton has. I mean, I have no idea who he is since he was before my time but he got into the Hall with those numbers.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's a pretty tall order. He would have to play 7 more *full* seasons at his current career pace (80/game) to hit 20... I guess it's possible - but weren't a lot of people writing his retirement speech about this time last year?

Plus - I've posted this several times: Moss and Owens go in before him; Harrison, too. Probably Hines Ward. And you still have Carter and Brown plus Andre Reed, Torry Holt, Issac Bruce - to name a few - waiting. And is he better than Steve Smith? Chad Johnson? Reggie Wayne? Larry Fitzgerald? Wes Welker? His contemporaries make equally compelling cases. And then you have the younger WRs like Megatron, AJ Green, Julio Jones - who are off to huge starts in their careers.

His lack of wins (ie exposure) and (IMO - the biggest nail) TDs are probably going to keep him out. He's tied with Curtis COnway for career TDs. Antowain Smith has more. That's just a killer.

1 person likes this.
  13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

CONGRATULATIONS, ANDRE!!! :eek: ^^ Answering Hey Now!:

Yes.

Yes, he is. Definitely. Yeap, him too. A little better than Larry, yes. Yes, better than Wes. :cool:

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If that's his competition then he gets in easily. Only Calvin compares on that list. Chad Johnson? Issac Bruce? are you kidding me? Jacoby Jones gets in before those bums.

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

no surprise here

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We all know that Andre is a greater receiver than most, if not all of those guys. But the numbers (particularly TDs) aren't there yet.

Here's to hoping he can put up a few more seasons of play closer to the last month he put up than the first month this season. If he can do that, and if he can shine in the postseason and we get to a Super Bowl or two, he'll be a lock. But right now he's not a lock, unfortunately. Just an over saturated era of receivers.

17. David Stern

David Stern Member

ok a bit much

18. David Stern

David Stern Member

I think AJ can get to 17000+ before he hangs it up.....The guy runs routes with the best of them....He takes care of his body and i expect him to shake off the bad string of hamstring issues....

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Please at least glance at a reference page before firing off a response. Issac Bruce is 3rd all-time in receiving yards, 7th in catches and 26th in career TDs.

Every guy I listed has more career receiving yards than Andre Johnson, save for Welker and Fitzgerald (and the young guys, of course). But both are also younger than AJ (Welker, technically, is the same age - but he has 56 fewer career starts).

I would agree he's better and more worthy than Chad Johnson and Steve Smith. He's better than Andre Reed, Torry Holt and, yes - Issac Bruce, too. Maybe even Tim Brown. But he's behind Carter, Owens, Moss and Harrison; I think he's behind Fitzgerald and Welker (lazy sportswriters are going to LOVE voting for Welker), too - Wayne, as well. And depending on when careers end, etc - Calvin Johnson's is certainly on pace to go in before him.

IOW, there's a lot of competition and, right now, Johnson hasn't done anything to stand ahead of the crowd - limited national exposure, limited team success, too few TDs (which is easy to tie back to team success and blame him - not that I would - but writers will.)...

He has a very good reputation - but I don't think he's revered as much nationally as he is here. If they win a SB, if he's very good during the playoff run, and he has 3-5 more above-average years... I think he can get in.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....you are wrong. Most of those WRs were never Dominant outside of Moss and Owens. Touchdowns is not as big a measure as you think. 2 more good years by Andre will assure him of Hall of Fame enshrinement. A Super Bowl will this year would probably do it.