1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And this is part of why Jimy Williams terrifies me as a manager...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by haven, Feb 27, 2002.

1. haven

haven Member

The first thing I want you to do is close your eyes, think very hard, and tell me how many young pitchers the Red Sox have developed in Williams tenure.

Now, I want you to think about pitcher abuse. Here's a link to an article about Pedro Martinez:

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020227.html

The most pertinent part is here:

That's far too many pitches for just about anyone. Especially a guy as small as martinez.

See any similarities with Astros pitchers? I do. And it's even more scary for our team.

1. The Astros have scored much more talent for their pitching staff than most teams because they're not afraid of taking short right-handers. Most teams stay away from these guys, but not the Astros. Talent is talent, in their minds. :)

The big problem with a small pitcher is durability. He has to move his arm faster to get velocity. Which endangers his arm.

2. Houston's pitchers are young. Young pitchers can't throw as much as old pitchers. Too often, it burns their arms out. A # of recent burn-outs immediately following high-pitch count/heavy innings seasons for young pitchers has impressed this upon more forward thinking managers. Unfortunately, Williams is not one of these. He'll still take guys deep into the pitch count.

Williams is an "old school" manager. In some ways, this is good. It means he might put up with less crap. Maybe Houston will have better discipline, etc. But he also pays less attention to more recent knowledge... like the fact that pitching small pitchers big innings while they're young is a recipe for disaster (or any pitcher, but those especially).

I hope Gerry Hunsicker calls him into his office, and says: Jimy, throw Roy more than 110 pitches two games in a row, and you're fired. No excuses. Throw Tim more than 100 pitches two games straight, and you're fired. Let Roy average much more than 105 pitches, and you're fired. Etc.

But Williams doesn't take well to interference. He thinks a manager should have complete control, and that the GM, etc, should shove off.

If he ruins the Astros' young guns... no amount of discipline or leadership could possibly make up for it.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I agree, he needs to be gentle with our outstanding kids-ie hernandez,oswalt,redding,miller and any others.

However, don't think kerrigan in boston is innocent either. The man pitched an unhealthy pedro when his team was out of the playoff chase last year. That was incredibly stupid.

We dont need no Jim Leyland's being pulled around here.

#2 DVauthrin, Feb 27, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2002
  3. haven

haven Member

Who's defending Kerrigan? I just want someone who pays more attention to pitch counts.

4. DVauthrin

well sorry if it was off topic-i just wanted to get that off my chest somewhere.

I think the astros have a good track record with young pitchers and I think hunsicker will give jimy some explicit orders about this.

Plus, I prefer to think optimistically about this issue.

You are right, I don't want a livan hernandez situation here at all.

Also, on a sidenote, why will dave mlicki start the season in the rotation provided carlos is healthy-imho him and redding should both start.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

After the way Mlicki finished last season, he deserves a chance in the starting rotation. He was actually one of our best pitchers toward the end of the season. No, it's not a given that he sustains it, but he at least has earned a chance IMO to prove himself as a starting pitcher. If he has a subpar month or two, then Jimy should think about making the switch. However, after his finish last year, he's got to get a chance, even if on a short leash.

6. haven

haven Member

Mlicki was the worst pitcher in the NL last year. Anybody who manages to be the worst pitcher in the NL, doesn't deserve a starting position the next.

If you want to contend, you can't carry the Single Worst Qualifying Starting Pitcher in the NL because they just happened to have an ok game at a good time. Especially when they fail to have even a single above-average pitch, and aren't at the age when pitchers still tend to improve.

But that has nothing to do with Jimy ruining our youngsters.

7. The Cat

The "worst pitcher in the NL" managed a 5.09 ERA with a 7-3 record at the most hitter friendly park in the majors. I'd be willing to bet there were pitchers much, much worse in starting rotations.

And no, I'm not that concerned with his perceived level of talent. I want results. In the most hitter friendly ballpark around, he had a decent ERA for the season and elevated his game when it counted. That, to me, earns him a chance.

8. haven

haven Member

*sigh*

he had the highest ERA of all qualifying starting pitchers in the NL.

That is a fact. Your wishful thinking cannot alter it.

Also, quoting records is a terrible idea. You won't find many pitchers with 5.09 ERAs and 7-3 records. Just like Nolan Ryan won't often post the best ERA in MLB and go 8-16.

I repeat, Mlicki had the worst ERA in the NL among qualifying pitchers. If Redding looks as good, you go with him.

Maybe you should start a Dave Mlicki appreciation thread. :rolleyes:

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Last year, we kept losing Oswalt and we lost Hernandez. Was Redding hurt too?

Anyway, the Astros didn't do a great job of managing the pitch count.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Dangerous Dave Mlicki's best pitch is a 90mph fastball(yikes!). That's verbatim from ESPN's scouting report - pitchers at his age don't get better, they get worse.

As haven has already stated, Dangerous Dave had the worst ERA of any qualifying pitcher in the National League.

That he's going to start for the Astros scares the beejeesus out of me.

Just Say No to Dangerous Dave.

11. Major

Major Member

<B>If you want to contend, you can't carry the Single Worst Qualifying Starting Pitcher in the NL because they just happened to have an ok game at a good time.</b>

We seemed to contend just fine with him as a starting pitcher last year. :)

Seriously, though, he did perform better with the Astros than with Detroit. Why? Who knows, but if repeats his Astros performance (4.64 ERA post All-Star Break), he'll be a servicable #5 pitcher.

Besides that, I think there's a more practical reason for him being in the rotation. He's on the team -- $5MM from McLane guarantees that. Him being a starter and Redding a reliever is a more useful combination than Redding a starter (where he struggled) and Mlicki as a relierver (where he also struggled).

12. haven

haven Member

Kidrock:

Absolutely, and I was hypercritical of Dierker for the same thing.

13. Timing

Timing Member

Carlos hurt his shoulder on the basepaths and Oswalt had a groin injury in like the second inning of a ball game. I think we should just limit Dave Mlicki's pitch count. :D

14. Major

Major Member

<B>Last year, we kept losing Oswalt and we lost Hernandez. Was Redding hurt too?

Anyway, the Astros didn't do a great job of managing the pitch count.</b>

Just FYI, none of these guys had arm problems from pitching. Oswalt had a groin injury, and Hernandez hurt himself running the bases.

EDIT: damn you, Timing! :)

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Mlicki is too off and on. Moreover, when he does have a good game, he can't pitch more than 6 innings, which kills our bullpen.

As you can see, there is a fine line between keeping the bullpen and starting rotation fresh.

Ideally, you'd like to have an innings eater, who you don't have to worry about, if he goes 7+ innings.

Shane and Miller (might be questionable) are really the only innings eaters we have.

I would have really liked to see Astacio here this year. He pitched well in those 3 games or whatever that he pitched for us.

Oh ya, it wouldn't be too bad to have the Big Unit and Darryl Kile back.

Thanks a lot Drayton.

16. The Cat

That is a fact. Your wishful thinking cannot alter it.

Are you sure? Cause going by this list, Mlicki would be in the top 40.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=era&league=nl&season=2&year=2001

I think you're using statistics from both his Houston and pre-Houston days, which isn't really fair to judge him by. I could care less if someone is the biggest scrub in the world, if he comes in and plays well for 3/4 of a season with the Astros I'd at least give him a shot at duplicating his success. By ERA statistics, he was equal to Pedro Astacio. I don't even like Mlicki that much, but I just think it's silly not to give him a shot. If he sucks, just pull him after 3 or 4 starts. Don't think that's going to lose the season. :rolleyes:

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The point about Oswalt is that he kept RE-AGGREVATING an injury.

I will say the Hernandez injury has very little relevance to pitching.

However, didn't a lot of our pitchers last year complain of soreness?

Last year seems SOOOOO long ago, that I can barely remember it.

18. DVauthrin

oswalt was a groin-im not sure how pitch count played into it

hernandez was not pitching-related, he does not deserve to be included-he was injured by sliding headfirst into 2b

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Of course you knew this would happen. C.J. Nitkowski has probably the best web site of any player in any sport. He does everything on the website himself. When he played for the Tigers he updated it frequently during the season. He would write about players, managers, things that happened in the hotel, on the bus, all kinds of stuff major leaguers go through on a day to day basis.

Now that he has joined the Astros he will not be spending much time on his website. I was looking forward to reading about things you would otherwise not hear about.

Here is his site:

http://www.cjbaseball.com/

#19 BobFinn*, Feb 27, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2002
  20. DVauthrin

I want no part of dave mlicki starting-he is not good-that was prob his best year. Give me hernandez and redding anyday

Anyways, sorry I derailed your thread haven.