1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An open letter to Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cle444, Jul 13, 2012.

1. cle444

cle444 New Member

Dear Mr. Morey,

I have been a fan of Houston Rockets since 2002 when Yao first landed in US. I have never been to Toyota Center in my life because I never been to US. Instead, I watched most of Rockets games on TV or the text live broadcast on nba.com in last ten years. I won't forget the time watching on the live online in lectures. Because I loved Rockets.

I loved your views you plans and your work as GM of Rockets and I believed in every move on Rockets roaster because I think they were wise long term decisions, but not this time. I don't like tanking because it is shortcut and in my philosophy it is what some 'smart' losers do, and I think we had been moving towards the correct direction in the last couple of years when we gradually lost Yao. But not this time. We lost Goran, then Luis Scola being amnestied, next probably Patrick Patterson and Chandler Parsons. Those guys carry the blood and spirit of Rockets, and they are going possibly for acquiring DH12. We are losing something Rockets inside and it hurts.

By looking at those previous successes in last 20 years: Spurs -Duncan, Lakers -Kobe, Heat - Wade, Celtics - Pierce, Dallas - Dirk, Bulls - Rose, too many to name. Their foundation players are all started their career or early career there. For Houston, it is Hakeem - SF3 - Yao - Scola, and who is next? An outsider or an unhappy-proven-no-brain-no-EQ DH12? NY Knicks is an bad example - they have been doing this (acquiring outside superstars) for a long time and still struggling to be successful. I don't want Rockets to be down that path, becoming a pure workplace for a group of employee players with no sense of belongings. Culture, spirit, our own symbolic players are much more important than cap room and any outside player. Was it calculated in your statistics model? It may not be how the business works, but it is the way that human think and live.

So, please stop giving up Rockets spirit and legend. What you are doing is not improve the team, it is simply building a new team with a different name. DH12 is a superstar, we can eat some bad contracts, but the bottom line - please don't turn this Rockets into another team for last 20 years because it already hurts now.

Yours sincerely,
    Hua Zhong