1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Interview with Houston Rockets CEO, Tad Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mogrod, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share this. The magazine I am employed with is running an interview/article on Tad Brown and I thought I would share with my Clutch brethren before it even gets printed for next month.

It's nothing earth-shattering or anything, but I thought some might like to read it.

Also, it looks as if we are running a story on Clutch the Bear in an upcoming month, so everyone can keep an eye out for that one as well.

Anyway, here it is.... enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

An Interview with Houston Rockets CEO, Tad Brown
    Thoughts on success, family and the team’s future plans
    By Rebecca Maitland

Houston Rockets fans saw an exciting season this year as the team advanced in the Western Conference playoffs against the Portland Trail Blazers. The win over Portland sent the Houston team to the second round where they faced the Los Angeles Lakers.

“It was very important for us this year to move to the next level as an organization on the court, which we did when we clinched the first round play-offs against Portland,” said Tad Brown, chief executive officer, Houston Rockets Basketball and Toyota Center, adding, “We know we’ve got the players and the gravitas to make things happen.”

Brown, who has been with the Rockets about seven years, has two favorite memories—one when the undermanned Rockets forced the Los Angeles Lakers to a 7- game playoff, which speaks highly of the team’s talent, especially since star players Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Dikembe Mutombo were on the injured list.

His other favorite was when Leslie Alexander, Houston Rockets owner, called to offer him the position of Chief Executive Officer after Brown’s superior resigned to start his own company.

“About three years ago my wife and I were walking in the door for a Rockets season ticket holder event when Mr. Alexander called and offered me the CEO position. I highly respect Mr. Alexander and was very honored,” Brown said.

The Road to the Rockets
    Brown was a 4-year starter and 3-year captain of the varsity basketball team at Colgate University in Hamilton, N.Y., so he knows the game well.

After graduation, Brown considered broadcasting and entered the page program at NBC. New York was an expensive place to live, so Brown took a second job bartending, which meant he worked from 8 a.m.-6 p.m and from 9 p.m.-2 a.m., which did not allow much time for sleep.

Nine months later a friend offered him a sales opportunity for a small professional tennis tournament in New Jersey. This tournament was a lead-in to the U.S. Open each year. He accepted the position and became head of sales.

“After that I focused on sales and marketing, mainly in sports, which I enjoy. I’ve had many good jobs, until one brought me to Houston,” Brown said.

The Adopted Texan
    Even though Brown is from Tru*mansburg, N.Y., he has the warmth, graciousness, and easy smile known well in the south.

“I love Houston. Houston is a very warm and caring city. It holds great opportunity. There’s a wonderful entrepreneur spirit and business community here,” he said.

As an active member of the Greater Houston Partnership’s Opportunity Houston Com*mittee, Brown notes he sees a “Can Do” attitude in the business community, which is committed to developing real opportunities for the future.

The Family Man
    Building for his family’s future is important to Brown. The Browns have four daughters: Kennedy, 12, Addison 11, Nicolette, 10, and Chloe, 6.

“The most important thing is family. My wife, Janice, and my daughters are the driving force in my life. They keep me sane and insane at the same time, and it is a joy,” Brown said.

He says his daughters think he has a cool job and they can name every player on the roster. They have also gotten to know many of the players personally.

Toyota Center hosts many charitable events in addition to the approximately 100 Rockets games each season, between October and May. Half those games are home games, and 25 are held on the weekends, so Brown is busy. The Toyota Center has become his home away from home, and he often does not leave until after midnight and is up and off early the next morning.

However, weekends at the Brown’s house are special with lots of talking time. During the season if the Rockets have a home game on the weekends his family attends.

One of the major goals in his life is to have an impact in his daughters’ lives.

“I want to provide them with the tools they need to become successful. I hope they will be caring people in a position to help others,” Brown says.

Brown and his wife of 14 years met in Dallas through mutual friends. “She is one of the most patient, loving caring people I have ever met; she is unbelievable and a great person to grow with, plus she is also a good friend,” Brown says.

Smiling, Brown notes his wife, who is from San Antonio, took a while to get over that “Spurs thing,” but once the couple moved to Houston she adjusted.

Success
    Brown has achieved a high level of success in his 45 years, reaching one of the top positions in the sports industry.

“I believe it is important to find what you are passionate about, something you care about that you are willing to put your all into,” Brown says.

Brown says he has an affinity for basketball and notes he might not be as successful in another industry, but at the Houston Rockets he is very comfortable in his position.

His advice to the younger generation, or those who are already established in a profession, is to find their passion.

“If it is sports, go for it. Once you are in it you may have to pay your dues. But work hard, and make your own breaks. The one common thread I have in all my past positions is that I have loved what I was doing, loved getting up in the mornings, going to work and helping build up the organization,” Brown says.

Brown is also very community oriented and believes in giving back and helping those less fortunate. He serves on the board of Houston’s Children’s Charity and is personally involved in a number of other endeavors, such as the United Way, for which he represents Alexander and the Houston Rockets.

The Future of the Houston Rockets
    Brown joined the Rockets as vice president of corporate development when construction on the new arena had just begun. He was responsible for overseeing sales activities as well as the naming rights of the new stadium. He also worked with partners, the corporate community, media, marketing and community relations.

In his CEO position, Brown is responsible for all of the daily aspects of the business with the exception of the draft, the players and coaches, and the game itself.

According to Brown, the Houston Rockets will always do whatever they can to bring championships to the city of Houston and will continue to be a force in the community in helping those who are less fortunate.

“We are working very hard every day to bring a championship to the city for the fans who care so much for this team,” Brown says.

One thing Brown says is high on everyone’s agenda at the Rockets is winning a championship. Although, he says, there is work to be done.

“We have high expectations for our fan base and for ourselves, and we look forward to the challenge every day,” Brown says.

3 people like this.
  2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Thanks, nice read.

3. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

very nice article. Thank you.

Tad is a great person. Very friendly and approachable. I consider him a friend and people are amazed that the CEO of the Rockets takes the time to get to know his team's fanbase.

I truly believe that under Tad and Daryl, this organization will win championships.

4. Stevierebel

Do you mind telling us what magazine you work for?

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, we publish monthly the Lifestyles and Homes magazines. We have one for each Fort Bend, Houston, Katy, The Woodlands and Cy-Fair.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nice read, thank you. I appreciate that he loves what he is doing and is his passion. It's actually pretty inspiring for me. I think this orginization is in very good hands With Les, Brown and Morey. Now lets go win a couple of those championships he spoke of

7. HTR99

HTR99 Member

Good article.

BTW, is that a custom Rockets sofa he's sitting on? Wouldn't mind having one of those in the game room.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Nice read, and thanks for giving us Clutchfans a before-published preview!

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds like a merchandise partnership opportunity between the Rockets and...

[​IMG]

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I want that couch. gimme it.. :cool:

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You would think he could afford an adult tie.

:D

DD

12. Stevierebel

You can sit on a couch like that one in the suites.

13. Turpis

Turpis Member

You won't get fired for this? :D

14. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

Thanks. This is a nice read.

15. cavevato

cavevato Member

He made me lol in the movie Hitch, nice article.