1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amp/Capacitor/Box Install

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, May 9, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So... one of my cars flooded out during the nasty flood business and I was able to save the system in the back, I think. I probably need someone to test it out to see if it's still in working condition. Anyway, I just got the car replaced and want to have everything installed in the new car. Anyone know of a reputable place? I want a good clean install, no wires showing everywhere, and no shady BS. If anyone could recommend a place out near Katy or the west side of town I'd appreciate it.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Best Buy is probably your best bet. You'll pay more, but you'll get a clean install with straight forward pricing. I have had good results in the past using two different store locations.

3. CometsWin

What locations? I had them install it the first time at Best Buy in The Woodlands and they f'ed it up.

4. HR Dept

San Marcos (doesn't help you) and East Houston (Beltway 8 and Wallisville).

It's a really easy install... Was it just tacky work or did the install something wrong?

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

lulzz

6. HR Dept

It's probably best to find a shop to do it. Yelp says that CJ Sounds off of Fry in Katy is the best in your area. Maybe check them out.

I smirked at the capacitor too... But to each his or her own.

7. CometsWin

Forever the troll.

8. CometsWin

I know the CJ Sounds and it's super shady. I suppose I'll just keep looking. Thanks.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The reason capacitor isn't great is because if you're into insane sound (and your amp draws enough current to dim/cut lights out), an alternator upgrade will make a night and day difference, a cap is okay for high/mid speakers on an amp, but if you're using your amp for crazy subs, a cap is basically drained and useless once the subs hit (or if they hit constantly on a song, the cap will never charge). I mean if you have it use it... But an alternator is the only way to get more performance out of car audio,.especially if you're amp or multiple amps are putting out real rated power (and not some pretend number).

You can check the math on this by how many amps you'd need from the rated volts and what the amp is claiming etc etc. (not getting out the calcs), Of course most people don't realize this and add batteries, but at comp level or people really into audio high current alternator (or multiple) will destroy what a cap/battery is trying to do. Not only will the system be louder but your AC will blow colder and your lights won't dim at intersections.

Ok sooooo I'm no longer into car audio, but custom shops are the best, I know in Austin years ago Custom Sounds was good.

Also.. On the alternator thing I mentioned, this was for people running amps and speakers in thousands of dollars range. So don't think it's a requirement or something :) just pointing out, that it's the only way to get a lot more out of a stereo (even a cheaper one if it draws enough).

10. CometsWin

It's a hybrid car and it doesn't have an alternator. Several years ago when I had it installed into my last hybrid it was recommended to protect the electrical system. It was like a $50 part so I said sure. I'm simply trying to have this stuff installed in my new car. The capacitor is bolted to the box along with my amp and the line output converter. If it's not necessary and it doesn't do anything, then fine. It's not important.

Either way, I'm looking for someone to install it since the lack of good bass in this new car is driving me a little bonkers. It's a weird driving experience right now.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Got my first sound system from a shady place that have me a massive discount for paying in cash (50% off! - yes, they went out of business before too long), and got my second at a Car Toys. They did a good job and they're all over the place. Look for a Car Toys if you can't find anything you like.

12. CometsWin

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the shady stuff. I just want a reputable place that'll do a clean job, not scratch up my car, and get me in and out in an hour or two. Is that so hard to find? I guess it is!

We need like a Christian Brothers for car installation. I take my car there for my oil jobs. Make an appointment online, they're ready when I show up, I chill on a couch with their wifi, and before you know it we're done and I'm out.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Cap. Should be carefully discharged then replaced to be on a safe side .

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No worries on alt (and definitely not a requirement, I probably wouldn't bother either if I ever did do car audio again...) :) I was just saying why people were probably complaining on the cap (and I could see the mention of cap for that depending on amp draw etc... So for $50, whatever) Also if you have it absolutely use it :) regardless though, obviously the car flooded, but did the equipment get crazy wet too? Just wondering... And if no custom shops in area could maybe look at Frys... What happened at Best Buy?

On a side note, sorry to hear about flood stuff.